Undercoat, Bedliner, or Carpet to line TJ Hardtop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Undercoat, Bedliner, or Carpet to line TJ Hardtop

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Undercoat, Bedliner, or Carpet to line TJ Hardtop

I am looking into trying to insulate and quiet my hardtop for winter and I have seen people use all of these methods. I was also thinking about using Dynaliner as well. All opinions would be appreciated.

terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
blake32
1997 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, sprayed-in, not roll-on bedliner is best. It provides some structural integrity.
blake32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Structural integrity?

I love to hear how you came to that conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
I am looking into trying to insulate and quiet my hardtop for winter and I have seen people use all of these methods. I was also thinking about using Dynaliner as well. All opinions would be appreciated.
As far as insulating, I have been pondering this during the winters for a few years. I saw a post or two quite a while back where someone got there hands on I believe what was sold as a yoga mat. it was foam that could be cut to size and adhered to the underside of the hardtop. It had a pretty tough skin on the surface so it had a nice finished look if I recall. Might not be what your thinking of, but thought I'd mention what I had seen. My only concern was how good of an adhesive I could get my hands on that would stop it from creeping off during the hot summer months.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
ColoradoCole
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try using speaker box covering before you use carpet, my hardtop is getting this done to it at the moment, when i get it back i will post picks. The guy said that it is easier to mold with and glue on than marine style carpet it, and it is more sound dampening
ColoradoCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ

As far as insulating, I have been pondering this during the winters for a few years. I saw a post or two quite a while back where someone got there hands on I believe what was sold as a yoga mat. it was foam that could be cut to size and adhered to the underside of the hardtop. It had a pretty tough skin on the surface so it had a nice finished look if I recall. Might not be what your thinking of, but thought I'd mention what I had seen. My only concern was how good of an adhesive I could get my hands on that would stop it from creeping off during the hot summer months.
Most people here that use cloth use 3m adhesive. How much is one of those yoga mats?
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T.
Structural integrity?

I love to hear how you came to that conclusion.
A hard top sprayed with line-x would offer better structural integrity.
bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Sundown1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I carped the inside of my hard top last year (white hard top) I really liked it this past winter. I bought some gray indoor/outdoor carpet & used the 3m spray on glue. Held up really well. It helped on the temperature as well as sound - plus it looked a lot better than just the white hard top. There are some pretty good posts showing pictures and the easiest way to do it.
Good luck
Sundown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan

Most people here that use cloth use 3m adhesive. How much is one of those yoga mats?
I'm not sure in the mat cost, I only mentioned it in case you wanted to search on it or just to mention that foam with a skin on it might be an option. I could only guess that the pad might have been around $50, and I'd bet it would take two because of the surface area though.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCole
Try using speaker box covering before you use carpet, my hardtop is getting this done to it at the moment, when i get it back i will post picks. The guy said that it is easier to mold with and glue on than marine style carpet it, and it is more sound dampening
That sounds intriguing. I will look into it.
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
NHEric
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used a bunch of carpet padding and a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet (the kind with no rubber backing). I got the padding at the local flooring shop. It was free. The carpet stuff was stupid cheap. Got it at walmart. Used the 3M adhesive and went for it. I also painted the rest of the top with Krylon Fusion. Worked awesome. It's been in for 3 or 4 years now. It's quieter going down the road than my Dodge. Keeps heat in way better, too. My favorite part is that it's not white anymore. Got really sick of how bright it was inside the Jeep every time a car got behind me at night.
NHEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHEric View Post
I used a bunch of carpet padding and a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet (the kind with no rubber backing). I got the padding at the local flooring shop. It was free. The carpet stuff was stupid cheap. Got it at walmart. Used the 3M adhesive and went for it. I also painted the rest of the top with Krylon Fusion. Worked awesome. It's been in for 3 or 4 years now. It's quieter going down the road than my Dodge. Keeps heat in way better, too. My favorite part is that it's not white anymore. Got really sick of how bright it was inside the Jeep every time a car got behind me at night.
Thanks. That's probably how I will go. I am all for cheap.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.