Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

undercarriage cleaning methods? need some ideas

7K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Running925 
#1 ·
exactly what the title says what do people do? i dont have any heavy mud but i do have dried mud everyyyy where i have tried powerwasher soap water. anyone eveer heard of using oven cleaner?

#2 ·
I have heard from others on the forum and I, myself, uses the tire foam spray and it eats the mud off of the frame and I still like to rinse it off afterwards to get the excess spray off so it doesn't stay all greasy everywhere which would make dirt stick to it more than before. Good luck!:thumbsup:

#3 ·
anyone eveer heard of using oven cleaner?
I wouldn't use oven cleaner on the underbody. I could be wrong but i'd be worried about it removing the paint as that stuff is pretty strong
I don't know of an easy way to clean it. i use a brush i have with about a 2ft handle on it to scrub the frame and wheel wells when i'm cleaning mine up. You could try some simple green and let it soak for a few minutes and then hit it with the pressure washer.

#5 ·
what i found works for me is swapping out the nozzle on my pressure washer to the stream instead of the fan, and just layin on the creeper with goggles and letting the water do the work. for the chunks lodged up in the arms and such i just prod & poke it out with a large flat head. time consuming but it works for me. i do this with my xterra EVERYTIME i take it off road to protect everything from corssion. but my jeep most times i give it the quick version say screw it....

iv have used simple green in a old miracal grow container in the past (the one that goes on the end of your hose) let it sit for like 15 minutes then hit it up like i said above with the pressure washer. that seemed to do a good job of breaking up the clay ended up getting rid of the bulk of greese/gunk under there too.

#10 ·
My cousin's company builds something specificly for undercarriage cleaning. He calls it the Chassis Jet, i'm supposed to be putting them up online to be sold very soon.

I bought one off of him for cleaning my atv's and my jeep and it works awesome. I used to get really upset when i had to work under my jeep when there was mud caked under there and it was always falling on me.

I'll see if i can get a picture and post it up on here.

#13 ·
I always use a power washer and spray some wd40 on before i wheel. The wd40 makes it hard for the mud to stick and makes it really easy to wash the mud off. On the tough stuff i just spay a little wd40 on it or any detail fluid and let it sit then it usually comes right off.

I also paint everything on the undercarriage with epoxy paint. It will make it so you never have rust and is super strong. If the jeep is rusty than rustbullet it if not rusty than bring it to a restore shop and for $85 theyll spay industial epoxy on your frame and underbody. I do this with all my cars. My bronco in michigan weather has no rust at all on the frame or underbody after 10 years of michigan winters, (the prior owner tought me this trick).

#14 ·
Easiest way to clean out the undercarraige is to put the rig on jack stands and take off the wheels. Then you will have much easier access to everything and can also scrub both sides of your wheels and tires.

I only use car wash soap and some light degreaser spray when cleaning. Use a long handle brush and a power washer.

#15 ·
I tried the oscillating lawn sprinkler, but it really didn’t work on dried Florida muck.
I hit upon the idea to move the Jeep into my side-yard.
Then take my oil change ramps and put them on the same side instead of both in the front.
Drive up the ramps and now have easier access to the underside.
I have an electric 1300 psi pressure washer.
If water alone is not enough, I spray it with Greased Lightning.
Mud/dirt falls into the lawn.
Back down and move the ramps to the other side and repeat.

The first few times I did this caused a few of the neighbors and passersby some consternation, now they have most likely given up on me.:laugh:

#17 ·
I tried the oscillating lawn sprinkler, but it really didn't work on dried Florida muck.
I hit upon the idea to move the Jeep into my side-yard.
Then take my oil change ramps and put them on the same side instead of both in the front.
Drive up the ramps and now have easier access to the underside.
I have an electric 1300 psi pressure washer.
If water alone is not enough, I spray it with Greased Lightning.
Mud/dirt falls into the lawn.
Back down and move the ramps to the other side and repeat.

The first few times I did this caused a few of the neighbors and passersby some consternation, now they have most likely given up on me.:laugh:
That ramp method is a good idea:2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.