Uh oh, angry sparrow is on to me - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Uh oh, angry sparrow is on to me

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Uh oh, angry sparrow is on to me

Looks like my front ujoint is on it's way out. Now the question is, when do I HAVE to replace it.

Right now the chirping can only be heard at low speed, say around 20, with radio off. Does it become louder over time to give me some sort of indicator on needing replacing, or is it gona stay this way and just blow up one day?

What to do?

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
redvett94

You need to change it ASAP. Waiting will cost a bundle if anything breaks.
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just remove the front driveshaft until you can afford to replace the u-joints. It's easily removed, just 8 u-joint strap bolts hold it in place.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any recommendations on what ujoint to use, or should I go to dealer for it?

Unread 06-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
Any recommendations on what ujoint to use, or should I go to dealer for it?
Just a standard Spicer 1310 u-joint. Any driveshaft shop will have them and if you like, they will replace it for you MUCH cheaper than the dealer will.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 06-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Just a standard Spicer 1310 u-joint. Any driveshaft shop will have them and if you like, they will replace it for you MUCH cheaper than the dealer will.
How difficult is it to replace for a novice mechanic? Also, would it be able to go for a month without problem? Because right now I don't have a place to do it, and will have to pay some shop to.

Unread 06-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
*EDIT* - Disregard

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
How difficult is it to replace for a novice mechanic? Also, would it be able to go for a month without problem? Because right now I don't have a place to do it, and will have to pay some shop to.
While it's not difficult, it's not a job for a novice mechanic who doesn't have a place to work. You didn't clarify if the front u-joint is in the front or rear driveshaft but if it's in the front driveshaft, I would just unbolt and remove the front driveshaft for now.

If the bad front u-joint is in the rear driveshaft, you need to get it replaced asap because you sure don't want the u-joint coming unglued and the front of your driveshaft dropping to the road as you drive!

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Right now I couldn't tell exactly which u joint is it, but sounds like the one connect front driveshaft to pinion. I read the writeup on stu's site, by jeeper, dosen't seem hard. Right now I don't have a place to work but in a month I will.

Although it seems like a pain in the *** to get the bolts that hold the shaft to the TC. (and I have no idea how will I able to get the bolt in there when putting it back on...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.