UCF "no body lift" skid, does it work without SYE? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > UCF "no body lift" skid, does it work without SYE?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

UCF "no body lift" skid, does it work without SYE?

I'm looking at buying this as much next purchase, if and only if I can run it without investing in a SYE right now. Will it work with my 2.5" suspension lift?

Under Cover Fabworks, LLC - '97-'02 TJ Transfer Case Skid Plate (No Body-Lift Req'd)(Carbon Steel)

Unread 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

thats going to be about 4.5" of lift seen by the t-case. does a 4.5" lift need a SYE?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

dang it
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Does your set-up now include any t-case drop? If so, then you would definately need to address driveline angles if you lifted the transmission any.

When I spoke with Matt at UCF, I believe he said with the No BL skid and their LoPro trans mount, the transmission is only 1/2" higher than stock.
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBinNM View Post
Does your set-up now include any t-case drop? If so, then you would definately need to address driveline angles if you lifted the transmission any.

When I spoke with Matt at UCF, I believe he said with the No BL skid and their LoPro trans mount, the transmission is only 1/2" higher than stock.
No, I didn't need the drop that came with the kit. They don't offer a lopro for a 98 with an automatic. I'm ordering a new stock replacement transmission mount and I've been told I can modify it for a 3/4" drop. I wonder if I did that along with a MML if I could still get by without a SYE. I don't have the money to do all that's involved in a SYE along with the new skid all at the same time.
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
I don't have the money to do all that's involved in a SYE along with the new skid all at the same time.
then save your money longer till you do.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just called them. The "no body lift" kit will put the transfer case 1.5" higher than it is now. The Lopro mount will bring it back down 3/4" on a 98. That will effectively put me at what a 3.25" lift would as far as angles go. He said a MML will always help and if i needed to I could drop the skid 1/4" with bar stock.
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
viperbluelx, I just installed the 1/4" thick UCF "No Body-Lift Needed" skid on my 1998 Jeep. I also have a 3 speed automatic transmission. When I could finally afford to lift my Jeep 3-4 years ago, I wanted to do a "budget" build; hence, I lifted my Jeep with a 2" BDS suspension lift. Unfortunately I did get driveline vibes, even with such a short lift. I ended up dropping my transfer case 3/4" to remove the vibes. A short time afterward, I purchased a bodylift and MML combo to clear my soon to arrive 33" tires. When I installed my MML, I also removed my transfer case drop and was pleased to experience that my vibes were cured by the MML.

Moving forward to the present, I just installed my UFC skid this past week. I was hoping that my MML would allow me to simply change out the OEM transfer case skid with the UCF "No Body-Lift Needed"skid and still remain vibe-free. I was wrong , when I took the Jeep out on a test drive with the new skid, I immediately felt vibes starting after 15 mph, up toward 30 mph. As such, I began to install one washer at a time and test drove the Jeep until the vibes disappeared. It took 6 test drives = 6 washers = a total of 3/4" to resolve my new vibes (despite my MML).

Now even though I dropped my UCF skid 3/4", I still ended up with a net clearance of 3/4" over the stock OEM transfer case skid with 1/4" carbon steel protection. So to answer your posted question, it will work without a SYE but you may have to modify and align your driveline angles - similar to what I did. Here's a pic of the 3/4" drop:

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Did you run a lopro mount with it?
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you run a lopro mount with it?
I didn't, I don't think they have finalized the Lopro mount design for '97-02 Jeeps.

As such, I don't think the current UCF Lopro mount is compatible with my 1998 automatic 32RH transmission.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

Unread 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It is available, I called yesterday.
viperbluelx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is available, I called yesterday.
Hmmm, so I take it that they addressed this issue:

Quote:
"The LOPRO mount should not be used with 32RH automatic transmission in the early TJ because the adapter that attaches the transmission mount to the skid plate doesn't adequately support the bottom side of the LOPRO mount."
If so, I may be placing another order with Matt .

Unread 07-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
Hmmm, so I take it that they addressed this issue:

If so, I may be placing another order with Matt .
He said that the 32RH required a 1/4" spacer to make it work and they have it in stock and will include it with the mount if you let them know, they just don't advertise it on the site.
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He said that the 32RH required a 1/4" spacer to make it work and they have it in stock and will include it with the mount if you let them know, they just don't advertise it on the site.
Awesome, are you going to go for it? I can definitely tell you, the skid is a quality product, at a very nice price.

Unread 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
Awesome, are you going to go for it? I can definitely tell you, the skid is a quality product, at a very nice price.
from reading on here I've found you can drop the TC 3/4" by modifying the stock mount, which won't cost me anything. I'm going to try that first. I think I'm going to go ahead with a Hack-n-tap and CV driveshaft before doing the tummy tuck though.

Tags
ucf , under cover fab , no body lift , skid , tj , wrangler , sye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.