UCF Deep-Cover Skid Plate System - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > UCF Deep-Cover Skid Plate System

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #76
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post
Well, I went ahead and ordered the 1/4" aluminum UHC skid system (TC and engine). I priced both the 3/16" steel vs 1/4" aluminum and after the discount and shipping, the aluminum system was only about $60-70 more. The aluminum is more expensive, but the shipping savings over steel makes up for much of the difference.

I suggest everyone price out the difference including shipping before ordering. You may be surprised at the outcome.
I did the same!

Unread 12-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #77
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wasn't there a thread where a guy had the ultra skid with no BL and a 32rh auto? I swear that wasn't just a dream. Anyone have a link?
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #78
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKEnBLAKE View Post
Wasn't there a thread where a guy had the ultra skid with no BL and a 32rh auto? I swear that wasn't just a dream. Anyone have a link?
I think it was Hendrix.
(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #79
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if that has been brought up or not but...

When the issue of steel vs. aluminum wheels comes up it's always pointed out that steel will bend and could possibly be repaired, whereas aluminum will break/crack and then you're SOL. Seems to me that one wouldn't want an aluminum skid because of the possibility that it could crack if hit hard enough. I'd have to imagine that dropping the entire weight of a Jeep onto a nice big rock would be a good recipe for just such a situation to occur... am I incorrect in this line of thinking?
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #80
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^I was thinking the same thing back when I bought the steel one!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #81
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post

When the issue of steel vs. aluminum wheels comes up it's always pointed out that steel will bend and could possibly be repaired, whereas aluminum will break/crack and then you're SOL. Seems to me that one wouldn't want an aluminum skid because of the possibility that it could crack if hit hard enough. I'd have to imagine that dropping the entire weight of a Jeep onto a nice big rock would be a good recipe for just such a situation to occur... am I incorrect in this line of thinking?
You're comparing a cast aluminum wheel to a piece of hardened aluminum plate. I assure you that my aluminum skids will bend and return to their shape without cracking. In fact, the yield strength of 6061-T6 aluminum is about 25% higher than mild steel.
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 12-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #82
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverfab View Post
You're comparing a cast aluminum wheel to a piece of hardened aluminum plate. I assure you that my aluminum skids will bend and return to their shape without cracking. In fact, the yield strength of 6061-T6 aluminum is about 25% higher than mild steel.
Ah, ok well I guess that answers that . Thanks for the info.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #83
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd have to imagine that dropping the entire weight of a Jeep onto a nice big rock would be a good recipe for just such a situation to occur... am I incorrect in this line of thinking?
ive dropped the jeep more than a few times on some
pretty hard areas, and the skid hasnt even distorted.
it does have some war wounds, but thats about it.

elephantrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #84
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It seems that with the way that the two main companies have approached coming out with their lines of aluminum products, they have likely obsessed over the materials and design and have adequately tested their products and how they will work before introducing them. Both sets of owners/fabricators appear to be extremely active on here and know what sorts of tortures that Jeep owners put their rigs through (sometimes first-hand) and have worked to make products that can withstand the use (or what some would call abuse). Personally, I am not worried about how durable these products are. The only thing holding me back from some of these upgrades right now is that my financial adviser (wife) has not released enough funds yet for me to get them. But it will happen.
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #85
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKEnBLAKE View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...99/index7.html

Here's the link to that specific page.

P.S. order before the new year to get that awesome discount. I just might have to!
Unread 12-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #86
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Our Christmas Sale is still going strong. Don't forget to check us out if you're interested in high-value off road parts.

Thanks,
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #87
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

The Christmas sale ended strong... but you can still save big with the JF discount code! Enter "jeepforum.com" into the shopping cart to take advantage of the savings.

Thanks,
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 04-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #88
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any news on the 2.5l version? (5 spd)

And what's up with the Exo-Skid? Maybe I'm missing something, but you have an engine skid, a transfer case skid and then a skid on top of that? What does it matter if the transfer case skid gouges? Just trying to figure things out here...

Thanks!

Paul
NotThePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #89
undercoverfab
Vendor
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThePainter View Post
Any news on the 2.5l version? (5 spd)

And what's up with the Exo-Skid? Maybe I'm missing something, but you have an engine skid, a transfer case skid and then a skid on top of that? What does it matter if the transfer case skid gouges? Just trying to figure things out here...

Thanks!

Paul

The 2.5l engine skid is now under development.

The Exo-skid can be combined with the transfer case skid to add strength and gouge resistance. It was designed for people who want the light weight of the aluminum skid with greater strength than the thickest steel skid I offer.
(334) 873-4000

Check us out on Facebook

Unread 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #90
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

NICE!!!
Do you expect the 2.5 to be the same price as the big brother version?
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ucf , skid plate , armor , protection , under cover fabworks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.