U0168 and U0155 codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > U0168 and U0155 codes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 08-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
bomber22

U0168 and U0155 codes

lt started with my jeep shutting down within 2-3 seconds of starting, after 2 or 3 attempts it would stay running. Lately however it will not stay running and after 5 or 6 attempts turning the key does nothing until you let it sit for 15-20 minutes and also on 2 occasions my whole dash goes wonky...guages zero and every warning light comes on. I hooked up my OBDII reader and finally when it did link (could this be related?) It gave me U0155 and U0168. I searched the internet and it seems thecause could be a shorted out sensor or a chafed wire. I am not that familiar with doing my own mechanical work but want to start plus not give thousands to the dealer if I can do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction and maybe help with component location. Oh it is a 2006 TJ 4.0L with 6 spd manual transmission.
Thanks anyone for the help

bomber22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade Blaine

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The shutting down in 2-3 seconds sounds like a SKIM problem. Do you have the grey key?

The U-0155 is a lost communication with the cluster code & the U-0168 in a lost communication with the security module (SKIM) code.

The fact that you are having trouble getting the scanner to read & the gauges going “wonky” indicates that as well. Start by checking the connectors to the cluster. Be sure none of the pins are pushed back in the connector & that there is no corrosion, moisture, etc. Since this appears to be intermittent it may be hart to find, not like a complete failure where it might be more obvious. Assuming you do have SKIM, check the connections at the module as well.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
bomber22

I do have the grey key if you mean the one with the chip embedded in it, when I did get my code reader to finally link I had been wiggling wires both under the hood and under the dash on both the drivers and passengers side, but now it is not linking again but everything worked fine today going to and from work. I agree that it will be a pain to find the problem because of it being intermittent. The 1st time my dash died I was going to stop and show it to a mechanic that lives near me and literally 30 seconds from his driveway everything came back....its like it knows and doesn't want to be found.
I can't see any damaged or corroded pins in my connector but I did spray some contact cleaner into it and there was no change from that. I do own a multimeter but have no idea where to even start looking. I also found an E copy of the mechanics service manual but its not the clearest about locations of components.
Unread 08-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade Blaine

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If it is the factory service manual there is a chapter on connector/ground/splice locations in the wiring section (8W-91), SKIM (8W-39) & on the pin locations (8W-80). The SKIM is covered in 8-E, the module is near the ignition lock cylinder under the cover around the steering column. Notice that the PCI bus is involved in the SKIM, data link (OBDII) & cluster operation all from the PCM. Might start with those connections, also possibly the SCI bus connections, at the cluster, SKIM module & PCM.
Unread 08-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
bomber22

Thank-you very much this is super helpful , when you mentioned ignition lock...I just had my ignition switch replaced in April because that little plastic part on it broke off. Actually it was this forum that saved me roughly $800-$1000 because everyone (mechanics) were telling me I needed to replace steering column. But now I have a starting point and I do have the factory manual so I will try to deciper it and finally kick that gremlin out.

Thanks again you were very helpful, I'll post back about what I find.
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade Blaine

2005 LJ Wrangler 

As you can see in the manual (8-E 10 & 11) the “antenna” for the SKIM is around the key cylinder. Maybe a problem there (?).

Unbelievable that the dealer won’t supply the actuator pin assembly but thanks to the net & these forums we can get the word out that the aftermarket supplies it.

And this:

Seeing you have a ’06, not to scare you but be aware of the potential OPDA problems SOME ’05 & ‘06s have. Also if you get fuel spit back when filling up there is a fix using a filler neck hose with an internal flapper valve from GM that will fix it rather than getting a new gas tank that the dealer will say is the only way to fix a stuck check valve in the tank. In both cases there are aftermarket fixes & not expensive.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/05...w-fix-1335243/
Unread 03-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
tcmault

Looking for an update on this one. I am only throwing the U0168 code.
Unread 03-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
tcmault

Just got it back. It was indeed the SKIM module.
Unread 03-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
bomber22

simple fix for my issue

On a tip from the guy at the parts counter at my dealership, I removed all the the plugs from my computer and sprayed brake cleaner on both ends of the connectors then put dielectric grease to prevent moisture ingress. My problem has not returned for the past 6 months.
Try simple things first before spending unnecessay money by throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.