Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

U-POL Raptor Black Spray-in Liner Installed

92K views 159 replies 62 participants last post by  nathan246 
#1 ·
Just got my Jeep put back together after spraying in black Raptor liner. Excellent product. Hard smooth textured surface and easy to spray. Prepping was the most work.

See less See more
#7 ·
I just did mine, also in black, last weekend. Too lazy to take pics, but it turned out great. I am very happy with it. It was very easy to apply.

On the air compressor - you have to be able to sustain line pressure while spraying between 40 and 70 psi, per the instructions. I ran mine at about 50 psi.

#10 ·
I used my father's compressor. I'm not exactly sure what size it is but it's probably got a 50 gallon tank. I ran the pressure in between 40 and 50 PSI. It is so easy to spray I couldn't believe it. Just make sure you get a high intensity light to go over everything to make sure it is all covered.

I got my kit with the gun from tcpglobal.com but then decided I might want more than 4 bottles of the stuff and got two more bottles and the hardener from sjdiscounttools.com. I ended up using almost 5 bottles just to make sure I got a good coat on it.

#11 ·
I think when I'm ready, I'll use this over herculine. It seems a little easier if you're wanting to spray.

Raptor Bed Liner Kit is a 2-component urethane system designed for applying directly to your truck bed. Black liner dries rapidly and protects against rust, corrosion, UV damage, and extreme temperatures while resisting stains and abrasion. Waterproof material stays flexible and helps to reduce road noise and vibration.

Kit includes 4 bottles of bed liner base, 1 liter of hardener, and application gun.

Easy to apply
- simply fill each bottle of base (each is 3/4 full) with hardener, shake bottle, and spray on with applicator gun. Bed surface should be scuffed and free from dirt for proper adhesion. Kit covers up to standard 8' truck bed.

#15 ·
OK,

Im considering doing the tub with raptor product, A few questions for those who've done theirs already.

1. How is this stuff once it gets hit by the sun, does it turn soft like herculiner ?
2. Can coloring be added?
3. I only have a small pancake compressor, not sure it will keep up 100% of the time.

Thanks

#16 ·
1. This stuff dries hard like paint and does not get soft in the sun.
2. You can buy a tintable version of the kit, but I do not have any experience with it. There a couple of threads around where people have done red and green.
3. I would rent a bigger compressor. I doubt it would keep up.

Good luck and post some pics when you're done. You won't be sorry you did this and it is really quite simple to do, just takes some time.

#17 ·
How rough is the finish of the stuff? I know it has a texture to it, but is it a bit rough like low-grit sand paper or more smooth kind of like some linoleum flooring?

#18 ·
You can vary the texture of it by varying the air pressure and distance you hold the gun from the surface. It's hard to describe, textured yet still smooth. It might be similar to the texture you would get if you took a low grit sandpaper and then coated it with a few coats of paint to smooth it out a bit.

#22 ·
Thanks! I'm quite happy with it!

The smell wasn't too bad. Be sure to wear a good mask while spraying it though. Once it dries, it really doesn't smell for more than a day or two. It was dry to the touch within a couple of hours. I gave it about 18 hours or so to dry before I put everything back together.

#21 ·
harbor frieght sells the same undercoating gun for $7. I used 2 of them when I did my durabak liner.

#25 ·
#33 ·
well im about half done with mine. Ive got the bed all cleaned and prepped and about half of it masked off. Will finish masking tommarow and i have the raptor ordered. this was alot more work then i figured

#35 ·
That looks fantastic. I've been shopping for a bedliner for my floorboard and you just sold me on this stuff.

It's a big plus that it even comes with the gun because I didn't want to buy a gun for this one thing. I don't do paint.

#39 ·
That looks fantastic. I've been shopping for a bedliner for my floorboard and you just sold me on this stuff.

It's a big plus that it even comes with the gun because I didn't want to buy a gun for this one thing. I don't do paint.
Thanks! This is about the easiest thing you will ever spray. And the gun is pretty much disposable when you are done. I cleaned mine out just in case I want to do any touch ups later.

#38 ·
Yes, and it cleans pretty easy. Depending on the texture you put it on with, you may have some places where a little bit of mud can get stuck in but for the most part, I just hosed it out and wiped it down with a rag. Ends up looking just about as good as new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.