U-Joint in Steering Shaft Replace?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > U-Joint in Steering Shaft Replace??

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 11-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

U-Joint in Steering Shaft Replace??

the u joint (located below the master cylinder) in the steering shaft seems sloppy

is there any write-ups on how to replace it or any tips you guys have used to make it easier to get it apart?

thanks for any help

gtospeeding is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

no one has any input?
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
BillDog103
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think you are referring to the intermediate steering shaft... I don't think there are any universal joints on the upper steering shaft. To remove the intermediate steering shaft you will need to disconnect it at both ends (remove screw from clamp completely not just loosen them) then you might be able to compress it enough to get it off the steering gear but it will be easier if you remove the steering gear. Then it will slide (with some effort) out of the upper steering shaft coupling and through the bracket it is in.
Quadratec has an aftermarket for 200+
Steering Shafts - Quadratec
BillDog103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
gtospeeding
2002 TJ Wrangler 

so the steering gear has to come off to get the intermediate steering shaft off?
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You should be able to get it off without removal of steering gearbox. I removed my steering gearbox recently and was able to slide the shaft off before removal of the gearbox.
wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

there is a lower and upper steering shaft. and it disconnects at the steering box.
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
BillDog103
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If Wushaw was able to get the shaft off the Gearbox without removing it then you might be able to slide the shaft out of the bearing bracket. I don't know if there is enough clearance to slide it out, worth a try. I just want to make the point clear that when you are separating it from the gearbox and the upper shaft, remove the screws not just loosen them because there is a dtent in the shaft to receive the screw and with the screw in the clamp it will not separate (even with a BFH) believe me, I tried. Oh and don't let anyone spin the steering wheel while the shaft is disconnected!!!! Not only will you lose your center but you can very easily break your clock spring and they are not cheap. 100+
Unread 11-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
BillDog103
1997 TJ Wrangler 

MisFit, love the Avatar.

I agree with you on the upper and lower, but Mopar refers to it as "SHAFT, Intermediate Power Steering," and you can pick one up at the dealer for the reasonable sum of $325.

Its kind of like Domino's pizza having a medium and a large pizza... How can you have a medium when you don't sell a small? That makes the medium the small!

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/...diateShaft.jpg

Last edited by BillDog103; 11-23-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: trying to add photo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.