U-joint question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > U-joint question

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

U-joint question

Hey everybody, my jeep has been acting up recently and I wanted to clear a few things up before I went ahead and ordered new parts.

I let my buddy drive my jeep today and he cranked the steering wheel all the way. Now whenever I make a mild or full turn there will be severe steering wheel wobble and when backing out it can even bring my car to a stop (usually I just give it a little gas and coast out of a parking spot). So I did some research and I came to the conclusion that my front end u-joints are probably shot. After 120k miles I think the stock ones are ready to croak. But I need some advice on what type to get. I hear spicer is a good brand, but what model? The 760? Also, could bad u-joints contribute to sloppy steering?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BTW I have dana 44 axles and its my daily driver.

Ryman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A bad U Joint won't affect steering, I would crawl under and while someone is turning the wheel look for anything suspect in the steering linkages.
My 99TJ has the original U joints and has 145xxx, so don't necessarily assume they're worn out.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm thanks for the advice. I actually had a buddy turn steering wheel while I watched the steering components and it seemed tight all the way to the gear-box. Ill have to take a look underneath next time. However, I am 90% sure the u-joints are bad due to the wobble when I make turns. I was just curious if that could contribute to the slop so-to-speak.
Ryman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u joint , u-joint , axle , replacement , tj , wrangler , steering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.