Turn Signals and Hazards Wont Blink - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn Signals and Hazards Wont Blink

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Airubus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Turn Signals and Hazards Wont Blink

I've been crawling a few threads and I haven't quite found all of my symptoms.

2004 TJ Sport 4.0L I6 with aftermarket Trailer Wiring

Over the summer I replaced my multifunction switch (fog lights wouldn't turn off)
My clock spring has gotten wet two summers ago, (Bubye cruise control) but never again.

It has recently been sub-zero degrees outside (Arctic vortex crap) and my turn signals were just fine. Then they stopped flashing.

Left side wont flash, right side wont flash. All the bulbs are lit, they wont flash. The hazards wont flash either. The lights turn on, and nothing else. I checked the bulbs and they all light up just fine. I can manually make everything flash.

Here is the kicker that I haven't found anywhere else - even with the rig turned off, I can use my turn signal switch, and the bulbs come on, but wont blink (on left and right sides, front and rear).

I hate electrical issues! My next step is a new flasher unit. Then check my trailer wiring, then the sockets themselves. God forbid I hunt for a ground. Did my new multifunction go bad after a few months? did the clockspring finally go?

Anyone have an idea before I start throwing money away?

Airubus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

This thread may be of some help...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tu...relay-1911202/

Good luck!
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't sound to me that the problem is in your trailer wiring. Because your signals etc have power even when the key is off, I would suspect a problem either internally within your multifunction switch (as power is always supplied for the park and headlights),perhaps water or?allowing a different path for the electricity ; the connector or the wiring to it. Before tearing into that though, see if you can get them to work by jiggling the switch a bit.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Airubus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post

Good luck!
Thanks. This problem was no power to the bulbs whatsoever, which was resolved by checked the fuse at the PDC. I'll check my fuses though, you never know.

I'll tear into the steering column tonight and wiggle things around. I cant believe the multifunction would go bad after only being replaced after 4-5 months.

I'll keep you updated.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Good luck!
Lots of info there to consider
Unread 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airubus View Post
Thanks. This problem was no power to the bulbs whatsoever, which was resolved by checked the fuse at the PDC. I'll check my fuses though, you never know.

I'll tear into the steering column tonight and wiggle things around. I cant believe the multifunction would go bad after only being replaced after 4-5 months.

I'll keep you updated.
Try replacing the relay first, but replacement MFS's can absolutely be crap and even bad right out of the box.
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Airubus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I fooled around with the flasher unit unit today. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in. I had the same problem. Be stubborn - I unplugged it and plugged it in again. and *surprise* the flashers and hazards work just fine. I'll keep running with the current relay until it goes again and then i'll replace.

Suppose we can add symptoms for the bulbs operating with the key off for a bad flasher relay.
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airubus View Post
I fooled around with the flasher unit unit today. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in. I had the same problem. Be stubborn - I unplugged it and plugged it in again. and *surprise* the flashers and hazards work just fine. I'll keep running with the current relay until it goes again and then i'll replace.

Suppose we can add symptoms for the bulbs operating with the key off for a bad flasher relay.
Did you clean the contacts? That's basically what you were doing by reseating the relay a couple times. You might want to pull it again and give them a good clean... you may get more life out of it.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Airubus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you clean the contacts? That's basically what you were doing by reseating the relay a couple times. You might want to pull it again and give them a good clean... you may get more life out of it.
When I pulled it, I did examine the plugs. They looked clean and nothing looked dirty or corroded. Of course, I didn't use a mirror to check the steering column where it plugs into (cause it's super hard to see those contacts).

thank again for all the input!

Tags
electrical issue , hazard lights , turn signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.