Turn Signal Relocation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn Signal Relocation

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Turn Signal Relocation

Getting new T&T Rube fenders and wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to where you can mount new turnsignals. Please post any information and pictures if you have them! Thanks

blackout00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The one I like the most was somewhere I saw someone that had taken the Mercedes G-Wagen turn signals that mount on top of the fenders and used those. I really liked that mod.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
ytodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977
The one I like the most was somewhere I saw someone that had taken the Mercedes G-Wagen turn signals that mount on top of the fenders and used those. I really liked that mod.
That would be Jon from Viking/winchline.

I used CJ lights in the grill.

Don (who runs the TNT fenders) used the flare lights on some little brackets.

Also heard the JK lights work up front for TJ's too.
ytodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Ytodd. And one I saw just a day or two ago involved a round replacement headlight that incorporated the turn signal into the housing. It was interesting but not sure how well it would work with the headlights on.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Very good information. What I am thinking of doing is taking the housing from the turn signals that are located below the headlights in the JK's and drilling my TJ grill to house them. I think all I should have to do drill it out and move some wiring over and they should work. Anyone done this?
Unread 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The G wagon lights on the fenders has to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen.
Jeepinty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Waldn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout00
Very good information. What I am thinking of doing is taking the housing from the turn signals that are located below the headlights in the JK's and drilling my TJ grill to house them. I think all I should have to do drill it out and move some wiring over and they should work. Anyone done this?
nice write up with pics at rubiconownersforum.com

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...ic.php?t=45861
Waldn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a picture of my Jeep.
You can see where I located my turn signals at
It's in the front & the sides of the hood.

IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Edit: someone beat me to the writeup
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...=45861&start=0
Nickb1907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907
Edit: someone beat me to the writeup
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...=45861&start=0
Anyway you can copy and paste the article? I am not a member and I cannot see the write up! Thanks for the link though!
Unread 05-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
ytodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo
Thanks to Dotcom for planting this seed. :beerchug:

The paint on the tube fenders is drying. It's time to take care of the front turn signals before the tube fender install. The parts and supplies needed to the do this mod are:

55077885AB Left Parking Lamp Assembly, JK ($26.25 from local dealer)
55077884AB Right Parking Lamp Assembly, JK ($26.25 from local dealer)
3" diameter hole saw
Hole saw mandrel
1/2" variable speed power drill
Silicon sealant, black
Dremel with grinding stone
Masking tape
Sharpie
Measuring tape
Sand paper
Liquid courage (optional of course)

The JK parking lamps

Identify and mark a suitable install location on your grill. The lamp housing is over 3" deep, so be sure to check the clearance behind the grill before drilling. The area directly below the headlight is clear. If you go too low you will run into interference issues.

Mask the cutting area on the grill and use the 3" hole saw as a template to mark the hole locations. Be sure to measure for symmetry.

You will need some horsepower to drive the hole saw. I tried my trusty 3/8" Makita at first but it wouldn't cut it. Now I'm the proud owner of a cheap but effective B&D 7-amp 1/2" drill...$50 well spent.

Drink a beer if you need it. There is no going back from here. Drill a 3/16" pilot hole in the center of the 3" marking. Push the mandrel bit through and start with the hole saw. You will want to wear gloves and eye protection. I added ear plugs after the first 3 seconds.

The lamp housing is 3" in diameter at the rear. The draft increases the diameter to about 3-3/16" at the front bezel. The housing also has three ribs at the flange. I cut the ribs off with a hot knife and then filed the plastic smooth.

Test fit the lamp in the grill cut-out after removing the plastic ribs. I wanted a tight interference fit, but this was impossible. I took a Dremel with a grinding stone and ground around the circumference of the 3" hole until I knew the lamp would fit in the grill with a good strong push. Be careful with the Dremel and move it slow. I hurried and my Dremel skipped and dragged across my grill a bit. Time for some touch-up paint.

Lay a bead of black silicon around the back of the lamp bezel and around the circumference of the grill cut-out. This should protect the bare steel from moisture. The super tight interference fit guarantees the lamp housing will never fall out. Using some force, I pushed the lamp into the grill cut-out until the bezel mated with the front surface of the grill. I then took a wet rag and wiped up the excess silicon.

The final product. Plug the factory TJ turn signal connectors into the back of the JK lamps and it is done. Yay, beer time!
does that help ?
ytodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you!!! Have the housings now I am just waiting on the fenders. T&T said about 2 weeks so we shall see! I will have pics with it all done. Thanks so much!
Unread 05-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you!!! Have the housings now I am just waiting on the fenders. T&T said about 2 weeks so we shall see! I will have pics with it all done. Thanks so much!
did you go with the phatoms? I still havent done anything about my turn signals, im waiting for something different to pop up.
Nickb1907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #14
stevegittings
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up on the JK lights. I bought a set some time ago, but haven't gotten around yet to installing them and this link gave me all the info I needed to finish it.
stevegittings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907
did you go with the phatoms? I still havent done anything about my turn signals, im waiting for something different to pop up.

No did not go with the phantoms. I went with the orignal tube fenders. Sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.