Turn Signal Indicators Not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn Signal Indicators Not Working

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Turn Signal Indicators Not Working

Hi Everyone,

As the title states, my turn signal indicators aren't working. Actually, my turn signals in general are intermittently working. I know there are write-ups about specific components but I'm looking for help diagnosing the issue.

Symptoms:
When either turn signal is engaged, the indicators (dash lights and sound) do not work.
I just confirmed that the signal lights themselves do not work either (when this happens).
I cannot replicate the issue. It just happens. Lights on/off, right/left.
Sometimes the signal will turn on, then stop working even thought the lever remains engaged, other times it just doesn't respond when the lever is engaged.
I've only tried them a few times but the flashers seem fine.

I replaced the turn signal stack once a few years ago because it was not staying engaged.

My thoughts are that it is the stack, relay, or clock spring.

Any thoughts are appreciated before I have to bring it to someone and pay through the nose, or start changing parts myself which will get expensive quickly.

sporticon03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Clock spring affects gauges cruise control and other stuff. I think you'd have more than one symptom present. This might sound stupid but try unplugging and plugging them back in and making a better connection. I had an issue before and this fixed it. Start with the cheap and easy first ya know
Unread 07-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

simple to determine if it's your clock spring. Honk your horn. If it don't work your clock spring is shot. Hope its not. PITA and not cheap. I bet its a loose fuse/relay or a ground wire dancing around.
brokenyoujoint is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #4
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Either the flasher relay or the multi function switch. The realy is cheap and easy to replace so try that first.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Multi function switch.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
Jeepguy43
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
simple to determine if it's your clock spring. Honk your horn. If it don't work your clock spring is shot. Hope its not. PITA and not cheap. I bet its a loose fuse/relay or a ground wire dancing around.
Or sometimes the horn just starts blasting by itself and won't stop haha - that happened to my XJ that I flipped (bought to fix & sell).

I got a clock spring for $100 shipped off ebay and had it changed in about 20 minutes. It really wasn't that hard of a job at all really.
1961 Willys Pickup -Sat in a field for 25+ years.
Jeepguy43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have experience with BWD switches? I think my first replacement was omix Ada. It's the most expensive but only $10 more than the crown switch, but $40 more than the BWD switch.
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the switch, and although the signals do work, the problem is not 100% resolved. They still will randomly not respond. I checked the fuses for dash cluster and turn signals and both are fine. I plan to replace the relay soon and go from there. I should add that I do have remote start (installed 2+ years ago)
Unread 07-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
Snydaleid
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the combo switches and look at the wires that go in to the connector from your wire harness. The big one that goes into the left Combo switch. Verify all the wires are pushed in and locked into the connector. My turn signals were intermittent like yours and I found a black wire had gotten pushed out and was moving making an intermittent connection.
Snydaleid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
boondaba
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check the 20A mini fuse labeled "MFSW" in your PDS box under the hood next to the airbox. This fuse also controls the signal and hazard relay, without it nothing works. A ground wire crossed when I was installing new fenders and blew it. The fuses behind the glove box for the signals were fine. I pulled my hair for an hour tracing it back to the other fuse. Sure enough it was blown and fixed my problem.

"If you try to knock, me you'll get mocked
I'll stir fry you in my wok
Your knees'll start shaking and your fingers pop
Like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock"
boondaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Snydaleid
2001 TJ Wrangler 

A blown fuse would not cause intermittent problems.
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm picking up the "flasher/relay" this afternoon. What I'm confused about is whether there are separate parts for turn signals and hazards? Napa shows the same part for two different things, turn signal and hazards. Is there only one? If not, where is the other located? Neither Napa nor Advance had a diagram to show where they went. The relay I am replacing is the one on the steering column.
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
Snydaleid
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked for any lose wires in that connector? I'd check that first before throwing more money at it.
Unread 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporticon03 View Post
I'm picking up the "flasher/relay" this afternoon. What I'm confused about is whether there are separate parts for turn signals and hazards? Napa shows the same part for two different things, turn signal and hazards. Is there only one? If not, where is the other located? Neither Napa nor Advance had a diagram to show where they went. The relay I am replacing is the one on the steering column.
The combination flasher is located to the back of the left multi-function switch housing on the top of the steering column, where it is concealed beneath the upper steering column shroud. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements. This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
sporticon03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Problem is solved *fingers crossed* I put the old switch in, and changed the flasher and it is performing normally. I do have a trailer so hopefully it tolerates that when it is connected but all seems well. Thanks

Tags
dash , light , relay , tj , turn signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.