Turn signal/ Hazard lights going crazy!! help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn signal/ Hazard lights going crazy!! help!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
jeepoffroad18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Turn signal/ Hazard lights going crazy!! help!!!

so im having a bunch of turn signal/ hazard light problems lately and im looking for some help. Yesterday I first noticed that my right turn signal was not blinking, so i did some tests today in the garage and figured this out.

First my hazard lights have not worked since i bought the jeep a few months ago.

now today.....
when jeep is off and headlights are off Hazard lights turn on about 90% of the time 5% they dont. other 5% left turn signal blinks fast
When jeep is off and headlights are on Hazard lights do not blink but do turn on

When jeep is on and headlights are off Hazard lights turn on and blink, Left turn signal works, when i put right turn signal on hazard lights turn on
Whan jeep is on and headlights are on Hazard lights do not blink but do turn on, Left turn signal works, When i put right turn signal on it clicks once and stays on (does not blink)

so what do i do?

Unread 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Sometimes the problem can be really simple, my jeep would do the same thing and it was just the battery terminals needed to be tightened. maybe you could try that

[B][SIZE="4"]76 CJ7[/SIZE][/B], 4.2l I-6, 2 inch body lift

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Ender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
jeepoffroad18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

really ? wow haha i hope so. i will try tomorrow. anymore ideas?
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Do you have any buddies who have jeeps the same or close to the same year as yours? you could try swapping the turn signal switch and relay to see if it helps. Also do you have any LED lights wired up?

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
jpfelix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

when mine did that kind of stuff it was the ground at the taillights.
jpfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
mudmachine25

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My jeeps right blinker light comes on with the headlights and blinked fast. I found it to be a bad connection in the right front connection. I can get out when it does it leave it on and go wiggle the connection and it starts working. Havew not had time to pin point what is the true problem, bad connection or loose wire
mudmachine25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im not a pro on vehicle electrical, but always check grounds first. Bad grounds cause all kinds of strange problems. (Actually always check fuses first then grounds but yours doesn't sound like fuses.)
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
kd006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

RH turn signal is the longest wires, i.e. the most resistance, most often the first to fail with a signal flasher going bad. Have you tried the $5 fix and just replaced the flasher unit? Rapid flashing is sometimes a symptom on those. You also may have a bad ground in one of the signals, have some one observe the brake lights, is one dimmer than the other? Is one of the front signals dimmer when you can get the 4 ways to work? Does stepping on the brakes make any difference?
kd006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
jeepoffroad18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

no leds
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would replace the flasher (multifunction switch). It controls all of what you described. It's only $20.
Mine kept coming slightly unplugged, so I taped it tightly together with electrical tape and I haven't had any problems since.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.