Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

turn signal electrical problem

609 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jerry Bransford 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just picked up a 97 tj 4cyl 5spd. I know very little about any maintenance history of it.

On the way home I noticed the left turn signal flashes all the the brake lights and the front left turn signal at once. When i step on the brake, they all stay lit solid.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Doug Davis

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing, it seems to be a '97 thing. Sometimes the blinker will stay lit and sometimes the blinker will turn on with the brakes. Pretty sure it is the blinker stalk that causes this problem, just to lazy to replace it.

It think its funny that I can wiggle the blinker and make it stay lit, I do it at stop lights when people are behind me just to mess with them.

#3 ·
A somewhat common problem, you have a bad turn signal switch. Replacements can be found in the $40 and up range, not difficult to change.

There's an old thread here on re-building/repairing the detent but it seems just as easy to get a new one. Somewhere in this mess of JF there's a couple of Hot to threads on changing the switch.

And of course there's always the option of not turning left

EDIT: Found a write-up for an '97 XJ, same basic thing for a TJ:Turn Signal Switch Replacement

#9 ·
The turn signal stalk is simply not returning quite back all the way to center after completing the turn. A slight nudge of the lever towards center after finishing the turn will stop the turn signal light from illuminating when you step on the brake pedal. Of course replacing the switch will eliminate that need to give the stalk that slight nudge. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.