Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Turn signal dash light stuck on, warning chime, no shift light.

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Wif 
#1 ·
I also posted this in the Jeep buyer's forum and got a couple of answers, but I could use a couple more opinions.

ORIGINAL POST:
My wife and I looked at a TJ tonight that we liked, but there were some interesting electrical anomalies that I would like to ask the board about. The vehicle in question is a 1997 TJ SE, 4-cyl, 5-spd, 71,000 miles. Here is the Craigslist ad: http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/873254368.html

1) The left turn signal indicator light on the dash was always on (not flashing). I noticed that the bulb socket was dangling in the fender well with the bulb missing and the socket full of mud. The turn signals did work. Would cleaning out the socket and replacing the bulb make the light on the dash go out?

2) The shift light never came on. We have driven a YJ and another TJ and both had those idiot shift lights, but this one didn't. Should I have seen a shift indicator light?

3) The "Check Gauges" light on the dash would come on periodically along with a rather pleasant "ding" tone. After about 30 seconds, it would go off. In the 15 minutes that we had the vehicle, I think we saw it twice. What is the significance of the Check Gauges light?

I am leery of electrical gremlins. I don't mind mechanical issues, but I hate trouble-shooting electrical issues. I even have 10 years of experience as a field technician. Is there one issue that ties these three things together or do these misbehaving dash lights indicate a potential lifetime of buggy electronics?

P.S. Why don't all of these come with tilt wheels? It makes it so much easier for me to drive when they do. (This one doesn't have it )

See less See more
#2 ·
I doubt it is the turn signal light. Without looking and testing things it's impossible to be sure.

I'm guessing the connector on the back of the gauges. If not maybe clock spring or turn switch assembly. First question I'd ask the owner is if it got wet. If so I'd bet it's is the clock spring.

The biggest problem is you never know what the previous owner did to it. You can really screw up electrical if you have no idea what you are doing.

#3 ·
Electrical issues can be trouble to diagnose .. but not rocket science.

1) Indicators not flashing can be either a blown or missing bulb on the side that stays steady .. or the flasher relay itself.

2) Shift lights (idiot light) are a waste of time. I wouldn't worry about it.

3) Check gauges light means something wrong with the emissions somewhere (could be related to the shift light not working) .. hook up a scan tool and see what's going on.

Personally I wouldn't buy it because it's a 4 banger .. not because of these gremlins. Gremlins can be fixed .. lack of power from a 2.5 can't (unless you trade for a 4 litre) :D

#4 ·
1) Indicators not flashing can be either a blown or missing bulb on the side that stays steady .. or the flasher relay itself.
When you hit the turn signal, it does work, but it flashes rapidly. I assume this is due to the missing bulb in the front. The rear light flashes and the indicator in the dash blinks. The issue is that when you are NOT using the turn signals, the left turn light on the dash is always on (but not blinking) even though the lights outside are doing nothing. It does this even when the ignition is off.

#5 ·
UPDATE!

The seller called us back and dropped the price $1,000. He had replaced the turn signal bulb which made the dash signal light go off, but the blinker still did not work properly on the left side. I noticed that the socket was not seated properly in the fender so I grabbed it and it fell out of the fender. When it did, I noticed the new bulb was not seated all the way. When I pushed it in, it flashed for a second (the turn signal was on) then went off. I pulled the bulb, bent the tabs with my key and pushed it back in. Problem fixed! In the end, the whole turn signal issue was simply a bad bulb.

I took it to my mechanic and everything checked out very well. There were a few minor maintenance issues like a coolant flush, tune-up, small exhaust leak, etc., but nothing that would affect the value.

BUT!

While I was driving it back to the seller, the "check gauges" light came on when I stopped at a light. Using information I gathered from THIS FORUM, I checked the gauges. Genius, isn't it. The oil pressure gauge was reading zero. Within seconds it popped back up to around 20, then dropped to zero, up to 20, back to 0, etc. as soon as I started driving, it popped back up to 40 and stayed there. At the next light, it did the same thing. I quickly got on the phone with my mechanic and here's what we did. I pulled over and hopped out while it was still running. While watching the gauge, I listened for any tapping or clanging in the engine when the gauge was reading zero. Fortunately, there was none. The seller has agreed to let me take it to my mechanic and leave it overnight. My mechanic is going to do a mechanical oil pressure test on the engine when it is cold and when it is hot to see if the pump is OK before we make the final decision.

Wish me luck.

#6 ·
UPDATE!
.... My mechanic is going to do a mechanical oil pressure test on the engine when it is cold and when it is hot to see if the pump is OK before we make the final decision.

Wish me luck.
Or it could just be the oil pressure switch .. very common problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.