Turn ignition key and NADA... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn ignition key and NADA...

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
FlapDaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Turn ignition key and NADA...

Over the past 2-3 days I have been having a problem with starting. 97 TJ, 2.5, no mods. Get in, turn the key and no lights, no sounds, nothing. Today, trying to get to work I had the same experience so I left the key in the "ON" position and raised the hood, began visually inspecting around the PDC without touching anything and *POOF*... I hear the ding ding of the door open chime. Quick like a bunny hop in, turn the key and she starts. Recently changed the alternattor, all connections are tight, I checked the grounding braids, they're okay, found nothing loose anywhere, battery is hot (14.4 V). Any ideas? Thanks all in advance.

Last edited by FlapDaddy; 02-21-2011 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: bad typing
FlapDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

bad key transponder? the manual says they can be effected by other transponders or magnetic fields. never heard of one acting like that but its worth a check

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
FlapDaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, it had to have been one of the battery cables. I figured I had to do something and started with the least costly option I could think of so after replacing both cables, I have not had any issues. Many thanks for the comeback. Been a lurker here for a good while and thought maybe it was time to sign up for a membership.

As a side note, this Wrangler had been sorely neglected by the original owner so after buying it in 2003, I am working my way down a list of tasks that are overdue and have gleaned so myuch valuable info from these forums I want to thank all the members for their input.
FlapDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
tomsmoot
1996 ZJ 

I didn't know they had key transponders in '97. I would have figured something loose. I had a similar problem with my '95 ZJ and it turned out to be corrosion on the giant gauge cables between battery, starter, etc. I cleaned all the connections and never saw the problem again. Good luck.... hope it's an easy fix.
tomsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition problem , no start

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.