Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Turbocharged 2.4L for my TJ!!!

149K views 252 replies 87 participants last post by  05TurboS2K 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I bought a Turbo 2.4L out of a PT crusier to day, I will be replacing my 2.4L out of my jeep it only has 17,000 miles on it.
the new engine only has 400 miles on it so it should be a fun conversion. I have some clearence issues but nothing big I will be writing and showing pic's as I go

Here's some info for you:
Engine Configuration I
Cylinders 4
Aspiration/Induction Turbocharged
Displacement 2.00 L | 122 cu in. | 1999.6 cc.
Valvetrain DOHC
Horsepower 215.00 BHP (158.2 KW) @ 5100.00 RPM
Torque 220.00 Ft-Lbs (298.3 NM) @ 2800.00 RPM

#27 ·
TJDegenerate said:
we don't have knock sensors. just toss the whole thing in there. i love wrenching on my rig as much as anyone else, but i try not to look for reasons to make things more complex.
edit:
i wish i was there to help you out with this man, it sounds like a lot of fun.
The turbo motor doesnt have a knock sensor???? :eek: No wonder I never liked Chrysler (except my Jeep :thumbsup: )

Holy cow. You best use the original setup as it came out of the PT. Unless you are planning on retuning the whole thing yourself watching O2 counts and tuning as you go?

#28 ·
the turbo motor should...i'd hope so.
and i'm not so familiar with the 4bangers, but i know the 4.0 doesn't have a knock sensor. would DC change the 4cyl engine that much to include it in all of them, or just the one's that got the turbo? i'm willing to bet they didn't, but i can't be sure...

#29 ·
i was interested in your build up of the current suspension setup. glad to see you have a new project. this turbocharged engine and those 5.38s ought to spin those 37s over.

imo: i would just switch the entire engine harness and computer, yeah it would take a little longer, but probably less stressful than drilling and tapping, running fittings, rerouting exhaust, lines, hoses..etc. Good luck bro

-hunter

#30 ·
The specs you posted were for the 2.0 litre. not the 2.4L you have. you can't turn over the exhaust manifold, the bolt pattern wont allow it.
I really looked into a turbo install, but ultimately decided on Avengers .87 Litre Autorotor.

Your right the firewall is gonna be a hinderance. remove the manifold's and install the long block. get everything plumbed, and then work out the exhaust fitment issues. I think a custom manifold will solve all the issues, it'll cost a bit, but the stock one has value to sell.

Cool swap thread post lots of pics.

#31 ·
Tommygunm1a1 said:
The specs you posted were for the 2.0 litre. not the 2.4L you have. you can't turn over the exhaust manifold, the bolt pattern wont allow it.
I really looked into a turbo install, but ultimately decided on Avengers .87 Litre Autorotor.

Your right the firewall is gonna be a hinderance. remove the manifold's and install the long block. get everything plumbed, and then work out the exhaust fitment issues. I think a custom manifold will solve all the issues, it'll cost a bit, but the stock one has value to sell.

Cool swap thread post lots of pics.
Yes I can turn over the Exhuast manifold its call Lasar cutting a spacer and tapping threads and installing studs to locate the manifold in the right spot it is really easy to do

#32 ·
Chrysler introduced the PT Cruiser Turbo, referred to by most people as the GT Cruiser. Originally, this model, powered by a turbocharged 2.4 liter engine, had 215 horsepower and produced 245 lb-ft of torque at a low 3,600 rpm, with more than 90 percent of peak torque from 2300 to 5000 rpm. To increase reliability in the PT, the block, head, and crankshaft were modified; racing-style oil squirting mechanisms also cool the pistons, which allows for higher output. Oil and water cooling for the turbocharger was optimized from the start of development, adding to the engine's reliability and durability. Proper calibration of the turbo's wastegate and integrated turbo/exhaust manifold resulted in quicker boost, while providing better control of the turbo for reduced emissions and improved driveability. Acoustic dampeners on the turbo's intake system all but eliminate turbo whine.

#36 ·
gpw1942ford said:
I've heard that it is the same motor in the SRT-4 dodge neon...

If it is that thing will rock....
its basically the same, few minor differences due to packaging. different intake manifold, cant remember what else is different

#37 ·
I have been considering this swap using an SRT4 Neon donor ever since I picked my TJ up new in '04. I will be interested to see how this goes for you.

One I get the CJ done, I will be revisiting powerplant modification to the 2.4L. At this point I am considering the Chrysler Turbo (I like to call it a SRT4J conversion), Avenger Supercharer, or flat our 5.7L Swap.

I would really like to see dyno charts of your swap when it is done as well as that of the Avenger.

#41 ·
I learned how to change my oil on the SRT4 forums. Apparently, you take off the oil filter then run the engine and let the oil squirt out. When no more squirts out, put a new filter on and add oil.

You can also easily improve performance by sandblasting your intake, all you do is add alittle bit of sand into your throttle body. NOT TOO MUCH THOUGH!

#44 ·
neZZr said:
Why would they want to eliminate the turbo whine? :dunno:
some people like a quiet ride. but jeep drivers wouldn't know all about that. :cool:

this swap should be an awesome project, and it will add a nice kick to the 4 banger jeep. i'd actually consider this swap if i had a 2.4L, but I have a 2.5L, thus the most convienent swap for me would be a 4L.

glad to hear that you're looking at using the whole engine, trying to swap parts over would be a nightmare and it would never run right.

once you get this done, you'll prob wanna look at a tranny swap down the line to deal with the added torque and power.

#45 ·
acsguitar said:
man this thread really makes me wanna learn how to change my own oil
Go easy now! Next thing you'll want to change the air in your own tires :D

#46 ·
JFiorentino said:
Go easy now! Next thing you'll want to change the air in your own tires :D
test drove a volkswagen GTi last night for a friend that can't drive stick, and while im looking in the engine bay of the car, i noticed that the oil filter wasn't on really tight and it was leaking oil right past the filter! i was shocked... the guy that owns it has all of the work done by the dealer, he didn't know how to change the oil himself... didnt even know how to check the level himself. i couldn't believe someone could drive a car and not know how to check the oil...

#47 ·
subaruboy said:
test drove a volkswagen GTi last night for a friend that can't drive stick, and while im looking in the engine bay of the car, i noticed that the oil filter wasn't on really tight and it was leaking oil right past the filter! i was shocked... the guy that owns it has all of the work done by the dealer, he didn't know how to change the oil himself... didnt even know how to check the level himself. i couldn't believe someone could drive a car and not know how to check the oil...
Or drive stick...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.