turbo 4.0 questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > turbo 4.0 questions

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #16
GIJohnnyB

My old ride.

1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Fully built motor, JE Pistons, HKS Metal headgasket, Custom tubular exhaust manifold, Turbonetics external wastegate, Garrett T4 turbo, and on, and on.

Best 1/4 mile = 13.12 @ 107MPH

GIJohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'll also add that Unlimited04 is right... a correctly sized turbo will work much better and work and spool quickly and very likely outperform a supercharger.

For a VERY good build up and info on turbocharging... look here:

400HP pump gas friendly 4.5L stroker - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

But keep in mind you can dump all the time and money you want but if you don't regear it will still be a big slow POS and you'll look like an idiot going "PSSSH" in a Jeep that can't crawl a moderately sized rock without either killing your clutch or cooking your auto trans fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
LKrux
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post

Good luck finding a turbo that will spool up fast enough to be of any use while crawling at 1-2 mph. Supercharger might be of more use.

But if you're going for Mall Crawler status by all means put in a turbo. If you want to beat the ricer honda civics then buy a prius.

Edit: OK, maybe mall crawler is a little harsh because who doesn't want a turbo in any car?

a turbo can spool up fast enough to be usefull offroad. it depends on your rpms and the size of the turbo....

in 4lo your rpms get pretty high sooo im sure a turbo would kick in fine. It also depends on the size of the turbo.a smaller one would probably work awesomely.

this has been done, but i think its too much work for minimal gains. sure its badass and id love to have a turbo jeep but im not sure how long the stock internals would last due to that extra pressure.

id rather re-gear and get a nice exhaust

and if your feeling froggy, swap in a v8
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I stand corrected.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What kind of torque are you getting between idle to 1500?
it aint mine...ask scrapinrocks'. i know lots of turbo builds are on Pirate4x4, and if done properly, a 4.0L turbo will run like a scalded dog.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, maybe mall crawler is a little harsh because who doesn't want a turbo in any car?
me
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
GIJohnnyB

There are plenty of turbo's that will spool at low RPM. But then what? You'll have boost as soon as you hit the pedal and nothing up top...it wouldn't be much of a daily driver at that point. Turbo's are meant for RAW power as where a supercharger is belt driven and can be more controlled by throttle and gives a nice addition to your torque all the way through the RPM range.
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #23
LKrux
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJohnnyB View Post
There are plenty of turbo's that will spool at low RPM. But then what? You'll have boost as soon as you hit the pedal and nothing up top...it wouldn't be much of a daily driver at that point. Turbo's are meant for RAW power as where a supercharger is belt driven and can be more controlled by throttle and gives a nice addition to your torque all the way through the RPM range.
this is just speculation.
i agree a supercharger is more "even" in delivering power.
and once the turbo spools, it keeps spooling. the more you give it gas the faster the engine shoots out exhaust, which turns the turbo.
so the more you use the skinny peddle the faster the turbo spools as the rpms rise..

but it all varies in different setups. depending on the size of turbo used and what not
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #24
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
it aint mine...ask scrapinrocks'. i know lots of turbo builds are on Pirate4x4, and if done properly, a 4.0L turbo will run like a scalded dog.
Oh, okay.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #25
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKrux View Post
and once the turbo spools, it keeps spooling. the more you give it gas the faster the engine shoots out exhaust, which turns the turbo.
so the more you use the skinny peddle the faster the turbo spools as the rpms rise..

but it all varies in different setups. depending on the size of turbo used and what not
And that is why you need a correctly sized turbo.

At some point the exhaust side of the turbo will get "backed up" and power stop building as rapidly with RPM because the exhaust gases can't escape through the hot side of the turbo quickly enough.

Also people think "OMG 20psi awesomezors!!" and they're idiots.

PSI = a measurement of restriction.

If you bolt on a decent turbo and build say 8psi at 3000rpms(for examples sake)... then you port the heads and/or install a larger A/R exhaust housing on the turbo(A/R = cross sectional area ratio) you may be building 6psi at 3000rpms now... but you'll be making more power.

Why?

8psi may be 100CFM going through a 0.48" A/R housing

6psi could be 130CFM going through a 0.60" A/R housing.

Since the housing is larger... more air can pass through at a given time at the same or lower pressure.

It's not boost that makes power... it's AIRFLOW!

And that misconception is why everyone is generally retarded when they talk about turbos

edit:

Also, you need to look at turbos and their compressor "maps" and know how to read them so you can stay in the range where they are efficient. At some point in all turbos they will become "efficient" as they get enough exhaust flow for a given engine size and exhaust housing. Also at a later point they will start building heat and become inefficient because they start building more and more pressure(which adds exhaust backpressure = strain) and all it will do is become stupidly H-O-T air. They get to a point where the intake air isn't supplying enough CFM to adequately get through the motor fast enough to pump on the exhaust side of the turbine to make more power.

My $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #26
jwcardy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post

It's not boost that makes power... it's AIRFLOW!

And that misconception is why everyone is generally retarded when they talk about turbos
I have been trying to preach that for years...
-wes
2008 WK...stock... XK/WK OWNERS GROUP #7
corn fed 2004 neon srt4
boosted 2004 s2000
jwcardy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #27
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

is the RIPPMOD ripp SC for the TJ finally available ?
additional 100hp on the rear wheel ... continuous torque and HP build up ... washer methanol water intercooler

search for RIPP SC
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #28
GIJohnnyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKrux View Post

It isn't speculation, its fact. Yes the turbo will still be spooling but it can only spool so much and depending on the size it will only push out so much PSI. With a smaller turbo, that will spool at a lower RPM, once you get to the higher range of RPM it isn't going to provide much power, the turbo just isn't able to provide the airflow.
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #29
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on how a 4.7 stroker might work...

With that said, I used to be of the opinion that a turbo was a very, very bad idea in a Jeep. However, I have to admit: it can work, and quite well at that. As has been said, it all has to do with airflow and proper sizing. Turbos can make some serious power...however, there's just one more small fact that the OP needs to consider: THE REST OF THE DRIVE TRAIN.

If you're going to put 250+ to the rear wheels, then you're going to have - in my opinion - to do some serious beefing up, or parts will start failing...especially if you're driving it hard on the street.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #30
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJohnnyB View Post
It isn't speculation, its fact. Yes the turbo will still be spooling but it can only spool so much and depending on the size it will only push out so much PSI. With a smaller turbo, that will spool at a lower RPM, once you get to the higher range of RPM it isn't going to provide much power, the turbo just isn't able to provide the airflow.
Na man its speculation.

First, yes the turbo can only spool so much.. what is your alternative? A supercharger? Ok, lets stick a small pulley on the SC to make tons of boost and blow it up before it gets out of the shop.

Second, your acting like there are just big and just small turbos out there. If sized right you can find your medium and it will make more than enough power.

Third, if your not happy with my "second" then you need go ahead and get together with the guys from Porsche and get you a variable speed turbo, so you can have the best of both worlds and be happy. Just a little warning tho, you arent going to come back bragging how cheap it was to us later with this choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.0 i6 , i6 , turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.