turbo 4.0 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > turbo 4.0 questions

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
kenmastajy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

turbo 4.0 questions

i want to turbo in my sahara.i love the power i love the sound turboing a jeep makes it the worlds best vehicle go any where and make honda owners sh!# thier pants when they loose to a lifted brick. but to start off i only want to push 7 to 10 lbs of boost. im just woundering if it can handle this safely stock if it cant ill push 5 cuz it will still be felt taking off. i can handle all the custom fabrication of turbo flanges and stuff like that. im woundering what type of turbo to get or a donar car that would be good to pull one from. keep in mind i dont want a blown daily driver engine and turbo lag is annoying when trying to crawl up something so i want a perfect no lag to not blowing me up ratio. the amount of boost i could get out of it really safely would also be wounderful if you guys wouldnt mind.

after my jeep has lift tires and skids ill go expensive and get a head setup from 505 performance and fuel injectors and all that along with forged rods and pistons but for now i just want a little more power and a beautiful sound of spooling and bov

kenmastajy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I stand corrected, but won't do you any good with out a re gear.

Last edited by freeskier93; 07-15-2010 at 05:49 PM..
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
PeeWeeHerman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

spray it if you want to drag race. once you take it off road that turbo is worthless
PeeWeeHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Douglas S.

It's been done before, seems to work pretty well actually.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/turbo-4-0l-1054621/
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
kenmastajy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post

Good luck finding a turbo that will spool up fast enough to be of any use while crawling at 1-2 mph. Supercharger might be of more use.

But if you're going for Mall Crawler status by all means put in a turbo. If you want to beat the ricer honda civics then buy a prius.

Edit: OK, maybe mall crawler is a little harsh because who doesn't want a turbo in any car?

so tell me a blower that would work i just want the power.
kenmastajy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very hard and expensive to do what your talking about. If it wasnt, it would be the set up I would be running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmastajy View Post
so tell me a blower that would work i just want the power.
I don't know much about turbos or superchargers, only enough to know how they work and their basic principles, sorry.
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when i saw turbo my mind went to cummins
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stroke it if you want more power or gear lower if you want to better take advantage of the power you currently have. You probably have 3.07 gears, which suck balls. I can smoke most civics with 4.88 gears on 35" tires until about 40mph.

EDIT: Just noticed you're 16 so I'm not surprised to see you wanting more power since all of your peers are flooring it out of the high school parking lot while you can't keep up. Get over it.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah... I have 40" tires and can spin them with 5.86 gears... bone stock 4.0 other than the exhaust... which had to be rerouted due to my build. Stock manifolds and cats and all that.

There are a bunch of little homos in civics where I work and pulling out of work I can keep up with them up to at least 40mph as well while chirping the tires as I shift to 2nd gear.

Gears are where it is at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

if you're already properly geared, and you know how to size a turbo, fabricate the required parts and have the money to buy the proper fuel management system, you can make serious power and torque.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...harger-603810/

and to the no-nothings that say you can't find a turbo to spool enough to make torque down low...you need to read A LOT more.

More from scrapinrocks in the YJ Forum:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/few-yj-4-0-turbo-picts-661277/

250 ft-lbs before 2500 rpms. at the wheels.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Stroke it if you want more power or gear lower if you want to better take advantage of the power you currently have. You probably have 3.07 gears, which suck balls. I can smoke most civics with 4.88 gears on 35" tires until about 40mph.

EDIT: Just noticed you're 16 so I'm not surprised to see you wanting more power since all of your peers are flooring it out of the high school parking lot while you can't keep up. Get over it.
I'm 16, have 3.07 years and 33s and I don't want a turbo. But I'm not like most 16 year olds...
In fact when people try to rev with their little coupes to sound cool, I give it a little gas with my cat back and 4.0L, usually shuts people up. But there are still those kids whose mommy and daddies buy them an Audi or Mustang GT, I usually like to imagine what it would be like to crawl over their cars.
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
GIJohnnyB

Turbo'ing a Jeep is impractical for a few reasons. Firstly, just because you throw some boost in there, doesn't mean you're going to be fast. You're not taking into consideration that your Jeep is geared pretty low. Secondly, if you want to do off-roading, a turbo may be counterproductive because of unwanted tire spin in mud or slippery rocks, etc. A supercharger may be a better route to take, but again it has similar negatives. Not to mention that a custom turbo set up is going to be expensive. If you want to go fast, get an import and modify that. If you want some extra ponies oout of your Jeep, I'd say; intake, header, exhaust, and a tune would probably do you just fine. Maybe a stroker if your real serious.

Just my $0.02
GIJohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
wjjeep393

Yeah man dont turbo the jeep for street use. I had a Hemi Durango before my jeep and it was fun blowing away ricers in a big suv. But that TJ belongs off the road not on the road racing ricer hondas lol.
wjjeep393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
if you're already properly geared, and you know how to size a turbo, fabricate the required parts and have the money to buy the proper fuel management system, you can make serious power and torque.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/je...harger-603810/

and to the no-nothings that say you can't find a turbo to spool enough to make torque down low...you need to read A LOT more.

More from scrapinrocks in the YJ Forum:
Few YJ 4.0 Turbo picts - JeepForum.com

250 ft-lbs before 2500 rpms.
What kind of torque are you getting between idle to 1500?

Tags
4.0 i6 , i6 , turbo

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.