turbo 2.4l (a different way) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > turbo 2.4l (a different way)

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
krazzyboy_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

turbo 2.4l (a different way)

so i put a turbo on my jeep. .48 A/R 60 trim T3 stage one housing on a ATP log manifold and 38mm precision wast gate. and i am already thinking of the next step, SRT4 head pistons rods. and am wondering if anybody has any experience with AEM FIC or other tuner. before you ask i will have pics next week it is in the shop getting the exhaust finished up. i am hoping on over 300hp one day.

Unread 06-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does the srt4 parts fit the jeep motor? more info please.
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
ohtenwillys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
Does the srt4 parts fit the jeep motor? more info please.
thats why its called a 2.4 neon
ohtenwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
liftedon37s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A turbo jeep, I like. Hopefully you don't do alot of rock crawling bc turbo spool would be killer then.
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting.... I know the srt4 can make alot of power easy.

As far as the AEM.. I have experience tuning the AEM ecu for a nissan 240sx. Its a really nice unit, the tuning program is pretty easy to use.
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedon37s View Post
A turbo jeep, I like. Hopefully you don't do alot of rock crawling bc turbo spool would be killer then.
Turbo lag seems to be a common misconception. I built a turbo motor before, and the bottom end made more power than n/a. The turbo lag was just where the turbo really started spooling. The whole tq curve was above what the same motor makes n/a.
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I miss my Audi S4.... Lets see pics of this.
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
krazzyboy_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

with the set up i have the boost will turn on under 2000 rpm. the turbo i have is almost to small for the engine but am not going to run the rpms up much so it wont choke out the engine. yes most if not all the parts off the srt will swap on the 2.4 the best things are all the after market support, but the ecu is the hurdle at this point i dont need it right now but it is next on the list.
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #9
Juniosjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have been considering this upgrade myself on my 06 TJ 4 popper. Can someone with basic car knowledge install?also I hate to be nosy, what did the upgrade run you....
Juniosjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
krazzyboy_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i did most the work my self. i am paying to have the exhaust put on and done right, will have it back next week. i will have 2500 in it so far but it is just the beginning i could stop now if i wanted to but i need more power. i used high end parts as well you could save some coin on a few things.
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
krazzyboy_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ATP manifold- $400
custom t3 turbo -$500 (usedturbos.net)
precisions wast-gate - $275
AEM wide-band o2 - $200
custom flange spacer - $150 (can have others made)
oil lines - $60
misc. parts - $300 (intake hoses, random hardware)
exhaust - $TBD
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
alexherb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would assume the SRT internals are setup to run a lower CR in order to handle more boost. but (only assumption) they are tuned to make their power in a much higher RPM range that what you typically run at.

Are you still running the stock injectors? it may limit you in your tuning if they cant handle the increased fuel load.

I used TurboEdit on my turboed hondas, i dont know if there is similar support for other applications. but it was MUCH cheaper and had a TON of adjustments. It solved the problem of overcoming the stock mapping. Stock ecus only have maps from full vaccum to zero vaccum, if it sees positive pressure it runs in a "default" mode which is crazy rich (safe).

turboedit - http://www.xenocron.com/te.php?page=starting
alexherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
RubyMax3388
2004 TJ Wrangler 

intercooler or water injection or nothing?
RubyMax3388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
krazzyboy_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

still on stock injectors but have srt stage 1s on the shelf. not running any cooling right now but that will change. i have it set at 5psi for now till i get the tuner in and a few other things. my engine has a comp of 9.4:1 srt4 is 8.5:1 but the srt has forged pistons and rods.
Unread 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
Juniosjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzyboy_1
i did most the work my self. i am paying to have the exhaust put on and done right, will have it back next week. i will have 2500 in it so far but it is just the beginning i could stop now if i wanted to but i need more power. i used high end parts as well you could save some coin on a few things.
My TJ is pretty much stock under the hood w/ the exception of a cold air intake and mine is definetly no powerhouse, but runs well for what it is. So I'm curious how much of a diff did the current upgrade gave you? I know I could definetly use some more hill pulling power as I travel from Charlotte NC to Morgantown WV a few times a year. I'm not looking for too much but just a little more than it than it currently has. I get fairly good gas milage w/ my jeep now even with some slightly larger tires. I do most of my driving in the Charlotte area and it's pretty flat here, not many hills to climb. Also did the upgrade change the sound much?? Mine has a very deep sound from the stock exhaust and I also get a slight air swishing sound as I shift then get in the gas.....did your 2.4 do the same?
Juniosjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.