tummy tuck, without tuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tummy tuck, without tuck

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

tummy tuck, without tuck

Edit: I figured it out, but posted new pics at bottom of thread
I just got a JB SS SYE, along with the 33 Engineering transmission bracket for the belly up skid, but I cant afford the skid yet. I think that it would work, but want to make sure. Also, my front driveshaft is rubbing the front of the skid plate, do you think the lift from the 33 Eng. bracket would lessen the rubbing?
Thanks

Last edited by chadsmeltzer; 01-04-2008 at 06:30 PM..
chadsmeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmeltzer
I just got a JB SS SYE, along with the 33 Engineering transmission bracket for the belly up skid,...my front driveshaft is rubbing the front of the skid plate, do you think the lift from the 33 Eng. bracket would lessen the rubbing?...
No. It would make it worse. The transmission mount reduces the distance between the skid and the transmission/transfer case. This would reduce the clearance between the front drive shaft and the skid and make the situation worse.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a tummy tuck in the mid 90's and a little liposuction and it did wonders Oops,wrong forum I thought this was the Jenny Craig forum
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
No. It would make it worse. The transmission mount reduces the distance between the skid and the transmission/transfer case. This would reduce the clearance between the front drive shaft and the skid and make the situation worse.
That's right...

You could do the SYE/CV shaft though, but if it were me, I would probably just wait until you get the skid.
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the mount lifts the trans, which would bring it farther from the stock skid. Wouldn't it be like dropping the skid ~3 inches? I must be missing something, too much going on right now. Currently, it only rubs off-road.
I would like to wait, but I have about 150 lbs in the back and keep a full tank of gas, just to stop vibes.
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

mdm is right, that transmission mount is shorter than stock and allows you to lift the skid plate higher without also raising the transmission.

If you do the SYE and driveshaft now you may have to buy a new drive shaft after you finally do the Tummy Tuck cause the distance between the axle and transfer case will change, right?
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCheck_1
mdm is right, that transmission mount is shorter than stock and allows you to lift the skid plate higher without also raising the transmission.

If you do the SYE and driveshaft now you may have to buy a new drive shaft after you finally do the Tummy Tuck cause the distance between the axle and transfer case will change, right?
The way I understood it was the new mount makes it so the trans no longer connects to the skid plate. If that is right, and the mount is shorter then stock, allowing it to lift it, then the length should never change afterwards.
I am confused now
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So you are talking about using the 33 Engineering Transfer case cross member/Skid Plate frame without using any skid?
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So you are talking about using the 33 Engineering Transmission cross member/Skid Plate frame without using any skid?
The transmission/transfer case wouldnt be connected to the skid, but I would continue to use the stock skid until I can afford the actual belly up
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok nvm, I found an answer. It does connect to the skid plate, I must of been thinking of a different one. Looks like I will have to wait
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmeltzer
The transmission/transfer case wouldnt be connected to the skid, but I would continue to use the stock skid until I can afford the actual belly up
I found a PDF for the install of that skid plate. It looks like the cross member that holds the transfer case/transmission uses the 6 frame holes that the stock skid plate uses. I am not sure how feasible it would be to use that and the stock skid.

http://www.getahelmet.com/bullet/manuals/33skid.pdf

It sucks having new parts in the garage but you can't install them till you get other parts.
I want that same skid and you are closer to having it than me.
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I really need it, I have about 150lbs of weight in the "trunk" so I dont get vibes
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure you could install just the mount w/ your stock skid and that would help with vibes because it would lower your tranny.
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #14
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I found a PDF for the install of that skid plate. It looks like the cross member that holds the transfer case/transmission uses the 6 frame holes that the stock skid plate uses...
This cross member is part of 33Engineering's skid. The low profile transmission mount is a separate piece that replaces the stock mount and can be used with the 33Engineering skid or other skid (to include the stock skid) by drilling holes. The mount lowers the transfer case and allows you to install a belly up type skid with less interference between the transmission/transfer case and the tub. Used with the stock skid it can act as a transfer case drop to reduce drive shaft angles.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #15
iismet

A picture of the 33 crossmember with lowered mount. Disgregard the two aluminum spacers on top of the lower rubber mounts. I had to raise the transfer case to to fit the ebrake. Normally the Aluminum mount above the spacers is bolted to the transmission and the two lower mounts attached to the crossmember.

iismet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.