Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tummy tuck, without tuck

6K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  80 CHOPPER 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: I figured it out, but posted new pics at bottom of thread
I just got a JB SS SYE, along with the 33 Engineering transmission bracket for the belly up skid, but I cant afford the skid yet. I think that it would work, but want to make sure. Also, my front driveshaft is rubbing the front of the skid plate, do you think the lift from the 33 Eng. bracket would lessen the rubbing?
Thanks

#2 ·
chadsmeltzer said:
I just got a JB SS SYE, along with the 33 Engineering transmission bracket for the belly up skid,...my front driveshaft is rubbing the front of the skid plate, do you think the lift from the 33 Eng. bracket would lessen the rubbing?...
No. It would make it worse. The transmission mount reduces the distance between the skid and the transmission/transfer case. This would reduce the clearance between the front drive shaft and the skid and make the situation worse.

#3 ·
I had a tummy tuck in the mid 90's and a little liposuction and it did wonders:eek: Oops,wrong forum I thought this was the Jenny Craig forum:teehee:

#4 ·
mdm said:
No. It would make it worse. The transmission mount reduces the distance between the skid and the transmission/transfer case. This would reduce the clearance between the front drive shaft and the skid and make the situation worse.
That's right...

You could do the SYE/CV shaft though, but if it were me, I would probably just wait until you get the skid.

#5 ·
I thought the mount lifts the trans, which would bring it farther from the stock skid. Wouldn't it be like dropping the skid ~3 inches? I must be missing something, too much going on right now. Currently, it only rubs off-road.
I would like to wait, but I have about 150 lbs in the back and keep a full tank of gas, just to stop vibes.

#6 ·
mdm is right, that transmission mount is shorter than stock and allows you to lift the skid plate higher without also raising the transmission.

If you do the SYE and driveshaft now you may have to buy a new drive shaft after you finally do the Tummy Tuck cause the distance between the axle and transfer case will change, right?

#7 ·
HipCheck_1 said:
mdm is right, that transmission mount is shorter than stock and allows you to lift the skid plate higher without also raising the transmission.

If you do the SYE and driveshaft now you may have to buy a new drive shaft after you finally do the Tummy Tuck cause the distance between the axle and transfer case will change, right?
The way I understood it was the new mount makes it so the trans no longer connects to the skid plate. If that is right, and the mount is shorter then stock, allowing it to lift it, then the length should never change afterwards.
I am confused now

#9 ·
HipCheck_1 said:
So you are talking about using the 33 Engineering Transmission cross member/Skid Plate frame without using any skid?
The transmission/transfer case wouldnt be connected to the skid, but I would continue to use the stock skid until I can afford the actual belly up

#10 ·
ok nvm, I found an answer. It does connect to the skid plate, I must of been thinking of a different one. Looks like I will have to wait

#11 ·
chadsmeltzer said:
The transmission/transfer case wouldnt be connected to the skid, but I would continue to use the stock skid until I can afford the actual belly up
I found a PDF for the install of that skid plate. It looks like the cross member that holds the transfer case/transmission uses the 6 frame holes that the stock skid plate uses. I am not sure how feasible it would be to use that and the stock skid.

http://www.getahelmet.com/bullet/manuals/33skid.pdf

It sucks having new parts in the garage but you can't install them till you get other parts. :(
I want that same skid and you are closer to having it than me. :( :)

#14 ·
HipCheck_1 said:
I found a PDF for the install of that skid plate. It looks like the cross member that holds the transfer case/transmission uses the 6 frame holes that the stock skid plate uses...
This cross member is part of 33Engineering's skid. The low profile transmission mount is a separate piece that replaces the stock mount and can be used with the 33Engineering skid or other skid (to include the stock skid) by drilling holes. The mount lowers the transfer case and allows you to install a belly up type skid with less interference between the transmission/transfer case and the tub. Used with the stock skid it can act as a transfer case drop to reduce drive shaft angles.

#15 ·
A picture of the 33 crossmember with lowered mount. Disgregard the two aluminum spacers on top of the lower rubber mounts. I had to raise the transfer case to to fit the ebrake. Normally the Aluminum mount above the spacers is bolted to the transmission and the two lower mounts attached to the crossmember.

#16 · (Edited)
mdm said:
This cross member is part of 33Engineering's skid. The low profile transmission mount is a separate piece that replaces the stock mount and can be used with the 33Engineering skid or other skid (to include the stock skid) by drilling holes. The mount lowers the transfer case and allows you to install a belly up type skid with less interference between the transmission/transfer case and the tub. Used with the stock skid it can act as a transfer case drop to reduce drive shaft angles.
Ahh man, I was totally confused. You are right. To the OP on this web site:

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=33-1650

it says this:

Use as a transfer case drop. Since the mount is 1.5" slimmer than the stock mount, your tranny will be 1.5" lower. This can be used with the stock skid plate to negate some of the increase in driveline angles from a suspension lift kit.

It also says it works with the 03-06 TJ w/manual transmission. Do they also make one for the automatic? Nevermind, found my own answer:

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merc...PROD&Product_Code=33-1660&Category_Code=33Eng

#17 ·
Your about 80% of the way to being able to do a Flat skid. I used the 33 eng mount 1.25" BL and the Novak shifter, then made my own skid out of 1/4" plate. Check the link in my sig and you can even get a dimensioned drawing that you could take to a local metal place and get them to quote you on it. If you don't have a welder or cutting ability yourself.

Other wise I would just install the SYE and get rid of those vibes. Then save for the 33 eng skid, which is what I would buy if I didn't make my own.

#18 ·
HipCheck_1 said:
Ahh man, I was totally confused. You are right. To the OP on this web site:

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=33-1650

it says this:

Use as a transfer case drop. Since the mount is 1.5? slimmer than the stock mount, your tranny will be 1.5? lower. This can be used with the stock skid plate to negate some of the increase in driveline angles from a suspension lift kit.

It also says it works with the 03-06 TJ w/manual transmission. Do they also make one for the automatic? (you have 42rle auto tranny right?)
Do I understand this correctly: I could use the t-case drop referred to above to lower the tranny 1.5" and use this to avoid the typical kind of t-case skid drop? Sorry for the hijack question, but I have a 3" susp lift, no BL, and about .5" of t-case skid washer drop. I've been planning a tummy tuck but this makes it sound like I could do the t-case drop referred to above and get rid of the washers. Sounds like I could do this without an SYE (?). Would it require a BL to lower the t-case this way?

Thanks.

#20 ·
STW said:
Do I understand this correctly: I could use the t-case drop referred to above to lower the tranny 1.5" and use this to avoid the typical kind of t-case skid drop?
Your best bet is to call 33 Engineering and see if they have a solution for you.

www.33engineering.com

Contact 33 Engineering at 303-683-8310

#21 ·
scotch740 said:
Your about 80% of the way to being able to do a Flat skid. I used the 33 eng mount 1.25" BL and the Novak shifter, then made my own skid out of 1/4" plate. Check the link in my sig and you can even get a dimensioned drawing that you could take to a local metal place and get them to quote you on it. If you don't have a welder or cutting ability yourself.

Other wise I would just install the SYE and get rid of those vibes. Then save for the 33 eng skid, which is what I would buy if I didn't make my own.
I am now seriously considering your plans, but I need to find a shop around here to do it. Thanks for the write-up:thumbsup:

#22 ·
chadsmeltzer said:
I am now seriously considering your plans, but I need to find a shop around here to do it. Thanks for the write-up:thumbsup:
One thing to keep in mind is I have 0" of lift. You might need to cut out some of my skid design for your front drive shaft. If you have a grinder you can always do that yourself afterwards but they will be able to do it much faster.

The one thing the 33 eng skid has that my design lacked was a separate cross member for dropping the skid. I have to support my trans with a jack if I want to drop my TC skid where the 33eng skid you just unbolt the plate. A very useful and well though out design.

One thing I can tell you for sure is you will be SOOO happy to get rid of the shove, either way you go.

#23 ·
Well, I finally got the skidplate...
before

after

about a 4" gain in ground clearance, but now the tranny pan is exposed

#24 ·
Aww man, you suck.... Just kidding. Looks great.

I got the tranny mount for Christmas, now I need to buy the skid.

Sounds like you need to get a Skid Row Engine Skid or something. It never ends...

#25 ·
will the skid row engine skid bolt up to the 33 engineering skid...i was wondering if the engine/oil pan skid would sacrifice clearance issues if it didnt bolt up to the 33 engineering

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.