Tummy Tuck Skid Exhaust Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tummy Tuck Skid Exhaust Question

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tummy Tuck Skid Exhaust Question

I was wanting to know how people are modifying their exhaust to clear the skid plate after doing a tummy tuck. I was using "Scotch740"s design for my skid plate but since he has an Unlimited it appears that the muffler is behind the plate. I am also using a low clearance tranny mount from "33 Engineering" in the setup. My muffler is of course is hitting the plate before I can get the skid even close to the frame. So I guess my question is are people raising or adapting the hanger mounts or having a muffler shop cut and re-bend the pipes?

J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
UnlimitedNJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The problem I encountered was that the stock catalytic converter was too close to the floor, so I cut it out and welded in a small magnaflow cat. The design of my skid is very similar to Scotch740's (1/4 plate, angle iron reinforcements and the 33 Engineering mount). I cut a notch in the back of my skid for muffler clearance, as well as tweak the rear exhaust hangers to work with the slightly higher position. Loosening the flange before the muffler helps too, get it into position and tighten it up again, mine is pretty angled and doesn't leak. The bottom of the muffler is even with the skid.

Unread 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

my exhaust has zero clearance issues, and its all stock. the snaked downtube will rub slightly on either the frame upper control arm mount, or the JeepMedic engine skid if I don't get it perfectly placed, but seeing as i've dropped it 3 times now, i'm getting really good at placing it correctly.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It depends on the skid design. The Nth skid, (which offers some of the most clearance gains) requires zero exhaust mods. It fits with the stock exhaust, the skid just does not extend all the way back to the muffler. Could you just trim your skid to be shorter?

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Glad my write up is inspiring people. Can you post up some pictures of your set up and where the muffler is over lapping the skid? Or at least let us know how much it is? With out seeing that, I would think the suggestions of shortening the skid or notching it, combined with loosening the flange would be your best bet. When you do figure it out please post up in my thread about how you solved those issues.

Other issues I wondering about is the front driver shaft. I am planing on a lift as soon as $ allows and am thinking I will have to notch out a pretty hefty chunk for the front DS. Also considering lowering the skid 1" to help with this as well as with floor board heat (possibly adding shielding) , plus enable me to use my Fumoto oil drain valve.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
UnlimitedNJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

About 3" suspension lift on mine and I didn't have to notch the skid for driveshaft clearance.
Unread 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
becker21603
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have the 5.5" RE LA kit that incorporates a tummy tuck design, i had no problems installig it however i am replacing my cat and that is becoming an issue.
5.5" RE LA, 35x12.50 MT MTZ, Eagle Alloy rims, Hella Lights, RE adjustable track bars, Rhino lined, SYE kit custom driveshaft, Warn front and rear bumpers w/ tire carrier, Warn tabor 9k winch, ARB rock sliders, Tru-trac, 4.11's, ARB Snorkel.
http://www.jvillejeepers.com/
becker21603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys! I don't have the skid mounted yet but I was mocking it up the other day and the muffler was the main issue with clearance. Since I have a regular Wrangler it appears that the muffler is more forward than the Unlimiteds. The converter seems like there will be plenty of room. I will notch the plate if needed but it looks like it would make a snag point if it was lower than the skid plate. As far as the drive shaft I did not look at that yet but I will keep it in mind to check.
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.