JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Tummy tuck question- Will this be vibeless? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tummy-tuck-question-will-vibeless-1370873/)

five-0 05-19-2012 11:38 AM

Tummy tuck question- Will this be vibeless?

Before I get a barrage of "Read the TT FAQ" or ":google:" I have done a ton of reading, and still havent got a definite answer. Can I do this without a SYE (I've exhausted my budget)?

On my LJ, if I go with 33s, the dpg ultimate kit (2.5"OME, 1.25"BL, MM), it sounds like I'll be perfectly vibeless, which is great.

Now as far as I have read, I still have a bit of room to play. So suppose I take the Undercover Fab works skid plate "Original extra clearance" Which is 2" deep, I should be good right??

I suppose if I take the Ultra high clearance, which is 1" deep, I will certainly be running into some issues.

Have I got it right? Does anyone have this setup on an LJ?

bmw91 05-19-2012 12:02 PM

I don't have an LJ, but If I'm thinking right, the MML will only help with any possible vibrations from the suspension lift. If you tuck stuff up even further you'll probably have vibrations, but it shouldn't be terrible. With my lift (2.5" RC) and MML, I have no vibes, but I've gone through a u-joint since the install a year or two ago. I'm tummy tucking next week and the shop recommended a sye and driveshaft.

Sundowner 05-19-2012 12:52 PM

Well, the motor mount lift eases your driveshaft angle, but when you tuck the t-case upwards you're getting rid of that easement. Personally, I'd still run the SYE and a good shaft and better my chances. As for whether or not it will be vibration-free...you'll just have to wait and find out. I've seen stock TJ's with driveline vibrations.

five-0 05-19-2012 02:36 PM

hmm consensus seems to be that it will be a stretch to be able to do any sort of tummy tuck even 1" reduction without the possibility of vibes. I'll bump this thread in a while to see if i can find anyone running the set up. Thanks for the responses.

jeepinmichguy_ 05-19-2012 06:04 PM

All Jeeps are different, you will know after you are done.

aw12345 05-19-2012 06:14 PM

If you can get the transfercase side yoke and the pinion yoke parallel and achieve a driveline angle of less than 8 degrees then you should be able to run your setup without vibration. So go raise the transfercase a bit and see how it all lines up. You should be able to do this before you buy any parts.

two_much_talk 05-19-2012 06:21 PM

just so we're all on the same page : you only have 2.5" of lift on an LJ, correct? if so your fine.

G Beasley 05-19-2012 08:18 PM

I have a DPG OME setup on my LJ and I had no driveshaft vibes with the Savvy Under Armor . However when I tried to flex the rear , the ears on the yoke would hit . So I ended up putting in a CV rear shaft so that I would be ok offroad .

greg_kulosa 05-19-2012 09:11 PM

When I lifted my LJ with the OME kit, I had no vibes with the stock skid. Then I added an Under Cover Fabworks aluminum skid, and had vibes. I don't remember the model name of the skid, but it was supposed to be a 2.5" improvement over stock. I had to add one inch worth of washers as spacers to make the vibes go away. So, I ended up with only 1.5" more clearance, instead of 2.5". I ran it like that for a year.

Last weekend I installed a SYE and Double-Cardan driveshaft, and got my expected clearance back.

This is all with a 1.25" body lift, and 1" MML.

Unlimited04 05-19-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five-0 (Post 13593498)
Have I got it right? Does anyone have this setup on an LJ?

I have a very similar setup to your plan.

I needed a SYE/DC shaft.

J03_TJ 05-19-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04

I have a very similar setup to your plan.

I needed a SYE/DC shaft.

Is that with a low profile mount like AEV's or Lopro? Guessing it is, knowing your experience.

Unlimited04 05-20-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J03_TJ (Post 13595790)
Is that with a low profile mount like AEV's or Lopro? Guessing it is, knowing your experience.

no, factory mount. the lo-pro mount + super tucked skid with the 42RLE cause the pan to drop pretty low...you end up needing grind a bunch of the front lip off. you can chat with Matt at UCF for more info. i have the old school JeepMedic skid setup, and my tranny pan is barely above the skid as it is, and there is very little clearance between my engine skid and the pan (as in I cant get a pinky finger in there).

J03_TJ 05-20-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited04 (Post 13596400)
no, factory mount. the lo-pro mount + super tucked skid with the 42RLE cause the pan to drop pretty low...you end up needing grind a bunch of the front lip off. you can chat with Matt at UCF for more info. i have the old school JeepMedic skid setup, and my tranny pan is barely above the skid as it is, and there is very little clearance between my engine skid and the pan (as in I cant get a pinky finger in there).

Okay, just wondering if one of the low style mounts would have helped. Guess not with your setup.
Did Jeep Medic make a belly up skid, I didn't know that if they did. I have their engine skids, sure was a nice design back in the day, wish they would have been able to stay in business.

Unlimited04 05-20-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J03_TJ (Post 13599154)
Okay, just wondering if one of the low style mounts would have helped. Guess not with your setup.
Did Jeep Medic make a belly up skid, I didn't know that if they did. I have their engine skids, sure was a nice design back in the day, wish they would have been able to stay in business.

yup jeepmedic made a t-case skid and engine skid combo, along with control arm mount skids. i'm still running all those. i cut the LCA skids off my old LP D30 and welded them on my HP D30 (not shown below, but they're on there now). now that i see whats out there today, the only thing i'd change is the weight...and make it aluminum :D

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...p/DSC01870.jpg

J03_TJ 05-20-2012 08:50 PM

cool, your pic makes me want to go lay under my jeep and stare at it. ;)

The time now is 07:09 AM.