Tummy Tuck Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tummy Tuck Question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tummy Tuck Question

I have a 3.25 suspension lift with 1.25 Body lift, so I don't need a SYE or CV driveshaft, but I know with a tummy tuck you need a Body lift, and SYE kit, but do you need a CV driveshaft as well?

Unread 03-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

there no sense in installing an SYE and then installing a single cardan driveshaft....the result is will pretty damn similar to the slip yoke setup you just eliminated.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

do you also just need rear adj upper control arms or lower or both?
SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #105

Zone 4.25 lift, smittybilt stinger, smittybilt winch, 33 bfg km2, savvy arms, TW Shaft, rampage frameless top
Coasttrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasttrash
do you also just need rear adj upper control arms or lower or both?
How much total lift your driveline will see depends on TT (not all created equal) but lets say you will be 5" plus. Orienting pinon and making things all fit would be a real challenge without both lowers and uppers.
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
I have a 3.25 suspension lift with 1.25 Body lift, so I don't need a SYE or CV driveshaft, but I know with a tummy tuck you need a Body lift, and SYE kit, but do you need a CV driveshaft as well?
The 3.25" suspension lift is borderline without needing a transfercase drop... the body lift really doesn't matter when it comes to driveline angles.

A tummy tuck will raise your T-case a few inches, thus putting more angle on your front and rear driveshafts...

Adjustable control arms would be ideal, and an SYE and CV driveshaft are pretty much mandantory unless you're tummy tucking a rig with no lift at all...

And one more item to add to your list would be a motor mount lift... to help reduce the rear driveshaft angle...
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know I will have to get both I just dont want to spend the money.................ughhhh SYE and DS and Adj arms along with the TT.......... wellfare here I come!

Zone 4.25 lift, smittybilt stinger, smittybilt winch, 33 bfg km2, savvy arms, TW Shaft, rampage frameless top
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat

The 3.25" suspension lift is borderline without needing a transfercase drop... the body lift really doesn't matter when it comes to driveline angles.

A tummy tuck will raise your T-case a few inches, thus putting more angle on your front and rear driveshafts...

Adjustable control arms would be ideal, and an SYE and CV driveshaft are pretty much mandantory unless you're tummy tucking a rig with no lift at all...

And one more item to add to your list would be a motor mount lift... to help reduce the rear driveshaft angle...
If you do SYE and CV driveshaft the MML effect on rear driveline is a rounding error. MML could be part of TT (Savvy) or could be done in connection with BL that TT might require but no need for driveline line purposes if doing SYE/CV.
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasttrash
I know I will have to get both I just dont want to spend the money.................ughhhh SYE and DS and Adj arms along with the TT.......... wellfare here I come!
Remember 1" TT equals 2" tire size for belly clearance. Think about how much you would have to spend to do bigger tires right. TT looks like big number but actually pretty efficient.
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know it is just all of it has to happen in a short order going to moab in may! First time on the rocks well West Rocks haha

Unread 03-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasttrash View Post
...I just dont want to spend the money...
Low COG's and tummy tucks aren't cheap, and there's no way around that fact. If you want clearance, you're going to pay for it one way or another. You might try spreading it out a bit...that'll make it easier to bear, and remember: everything you do to work towards a tummy tuck is a big improvement to your rig, overall.

Quote:
I know it is just all of it has to happen in a short order going to moab in may! First time on the rocks well West Rocks haha
So wheel it like you have it, get some hard data from the experience, and build what you need. I don't see a problem, there!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did Moab last year, no tummy tuck, sporting the dreaded shovel, but having good skids on everything proved to be a good move.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If you do SYE and CV driveshaft the MML effect on rear driveline is a rounding error. MML could be part of TT (Savvy) or could be done in connection with BL that TT might require but no need for driveline line purposes if doing SYE/CV.
I already have an SYE and CV driveshaft, I also have adjustable upper and lower control arms front and rear. My rig is sitting on a Currie 4" lift front and rear, with Currie control arms in the front, and Savvy control arms in the rear. I'm in the process of installing the UCF UHC tummy tuck, and that will raise my T-case upwards by a couple of inches... I purchased the Brown Dog 1" lift motor mounts to help correct the driveline angles and make everything play nicely together.

If you see a flaw in my build than please feel free to point it out in my build thread.

Thanks!
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat

I already have an SYE and CV driveshaft, I also have adjustable upper and lower control arms front and rear. My rig is sitting on a Currie 4" lift front and rear, with Currie control arms in the front, and Savvy control arms in the rear. I'm in the process of installing the UCF UHC tummy tuck, and that will raise my T-case upwards by a couple of inches... I purchased the Brown Dog 1" lift motor mounts to help correct the driveline angles and make everything play nicely together.

If you see a flaw in my build than please feel free to point it out in my build thread.

Thanks!
If you already have SYE/CV and the only reason you bought the MML was for driveline then you wasted your money. Just reset the pinion. You are not beyond tolerances of CV driveshaft.
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

OP: I have the exact same lift: 3.25 SL and 1.25 BL

Which skid are you looking at?

I am doing a UCF skid (need to decide on which one) and have purchased rear upper adjustables (RC X-Flex), SYE for the 231 (PORC HD), and CV driveshaft (Adams). I have MML's when i did my JKS BL but just to be safe I am doing all of the above. 3 inches of lift is just enough to have to do the entire package... even the no BL skid will raise the t case almost 2 inches... the lo-pro mount is worth looking at but the SYE and CV shaft with the room for the BL take care of that. Adams or tattons have a good package deal for the SYE and CV shaft at around 425 if you are on a budget.

A tummy tuck is one of the best mods for the TJ but there is so much on the back end!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If you already have SYE/CV and the only reason you bought the MML was for driveline then you wasted your money. Just reset the pinion. You are not beyond tolerances of CV driveshaft.
The rear driveshaft is severely short, even with an SYE and the factory stock T-case location...

I'm sure I'm not beyond the tolerance of the CV joint at ride height on the street, but what about at extreme articulation off road? And then if I add another 2" with the tummy tuck, then how well will the angles play nicely together?

Honestly I don't know one way or the other, I just figured the extra $100 bucks was better spent than to risk damaging the several grand I have invested in the rest of the suspension...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.