tummy tuck/ exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tummy tuck/ exhaust

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
06flex
1999 TJ Wrangler 

tummy tuck/ exhaust

So I have been researching different tummy tucks and searching on here for so info. Well as i always do i have confused myself even more now. I wanted to do the jeep medic belly up but i guess my time ran out on that. Now i have decided to go with either tera flex or 33 engineering. My questions are (I am about to show my ignorance about welding) with the tera flex tt it says some exhaust mods may be required, 33 Eng. does not say anything about this so will i have to modify my exhaust or not? I read on here that the exhaust moves up with the trans mount so i am guessing that they are mounted together some how. I went out and took a look at mine and could not tell any where they were "hooked together". I also noticed there was not much room between the stock exhaust and skid so if the skid were to be moved up there would be interference with the exhaust if not modified. So my next question is (even though i have read other treads about tt and nothing mentioned about exhaust modifications only when doing a long arm suspension lift) if i have to modify my exhaust and i buy a new muffler can i weld it in with flux core wire. I am by no means a professional welder, and would never do any structural welding, but i think i could lay a good bead down on an exhaust. I know that some mufflers are aluminum and i can not weld those with flux core but the others i can right or am I way off and dont need to do anything with the exhaust to do a tummy tuck? Sorry in advance for my ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You didn't correct the problem, you only worked around the real problem.
06flex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here are the 33 Eng tranny mount next to the stock one. The Bushing on the piece sticking up is where your exhaust hanger goes in. My guess (as my application was custom) is 33 Eng expects you to get their mount. Where as with another manufacture you might need to shorten the bushing support. You can see in the pic that the 33 Eng mount (new and shiny) has a lower bushing mount location.

I did a quick review of the tranny mounts see the link in my sig.

That being said with my Flat TC skid which raised the TC as much if not more than the 33 Eng one and more than teraflex I had to trim off a little tail pipe so it would not rattle on my trailer hitch.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I cut the factory mount down and lowered it about an inch and a half or so. Now that I have a welder, I plan to possibly move the cat a little forward and put a muffler where the cat is. That way I can eventually run an exhaust again out the back.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86
I cut the factory mount down and lowered it about an inch and a half or so. Now that I have a welder, I plan to possibly move the cat a little forward and put a muffler where the cat is. That way I can eventually run an exhaust again out the back.
So you did have to modify your exhaust? Humm I wondering if the LJ made it different for my setup. What did you have to change and what was the problem?

Just rembered you had a Clayton suspension, maybe thats the reason for the exhaust mod?
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
scrappy

ive been running the 33 eng skid and messing with the exhaust alot since i put it on. i am running a dynomax muffler and my exhaust shop bent some tubing around everything behind the muffler, but it still rubbed the shock, and rear track bar. i did it in when i backed up in a deeeeep mud hole and hit a rock whichbent the exhaust all up. my exhaust now dumps about 5 inches after the muffler and is not too loud. i dont like loud. hope this helps.
99 TJ Sport 4.0 5sp, 30/44 aussie/truetrac and 4.88's, 4.5 RE, 1"BL/MML, 35" Toyo M/T's, Ramsey REP8000, JKS discos, Warn Flares 6", Tera rear discs, Jeeperman sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier, Nth oil skid, Currie HD steering, 33 engineering TT skid, JB conversions 231HD transfer case w/SYE/CV, Kilby steering box skid/gas tank skid, incab winch controller, Edge Trail Jammer, Baja RS seats, Viair OBA,
My Jeep
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

forgot, here's what mine looks like.

My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
06flex
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my thoughts were to get an after market muffler (that is shorter than stock) run a extension pipe from where it bolts to the cat out from the rear of the skid then hook back into the stock tail pipe. I also have receiver hitch as well.
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a FM 40 and the 33 Eng. plate with no modifications done to the exhaust to fit.
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
06flex
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmeltzer
I have a FM 40 and the 33 Eng. plate with no modifications done to the exhaust to fit.
do you have a picture of what yours looks like or can you tell me if the muffler is out from under the skid (not like the stock skid and muffler where part of the muffler is under the skid.).
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the front of the cat. (It wasnt the focus of the picture, but its in there.)

I can get better pictures tomorrow of the exhaust from the back.
Edit: Most of the FM40 does stick out the back of the skid plate, I was wrong when I looked at in in the dark. It has about 1/2"-1" before it hits the skid

Last edited by chadsmeltzer; 01-08-2008 at 12:54 PM..
chadsmeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.