Tummy Tuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tummy Tuck

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Tummy Tuck

Is there a way to gain clearance in my Jeeps center without having to do a BL, MML, etc... Ive looked into some skid plates, but they all require some sort of alterations.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where else are you gonna tuck that tranny and transfer case? Room has to be made. Check out the Nth/AEV tummy tuck. They use a low profile transmission mount in order to not raise it as much.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

as far as i know you need a mml and bl
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Where else are you gonna tuck that tranny and transfer case? Room has to be made. Check out the Nth/AEV tummy tuck. They use a low profile transmission mount in order to not raise it as much.
I think I went about my question wrong... Is there a replacement skid plate that doesn't require any major movement. It just seems like the stock skid plate is massive and unneccesary.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Stonz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Keep checking Savvy website......soon
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Sawzall + BFH. If you cut and hammer the firewall & tunnel enough you can make plenty of room for all the TT you could want.

Sawzall + BFH could be substituted with a hand pumped long travel hydraulic ram.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
Keep checking Savvy website......soon
I have been. That money in my pocket is starting to smolder
Unread 09-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking about this too, if some of the skids(TT) give you 2 or 3 inches, couldn't you use them without a BL, then put a t-case drop in, as minimal of a drop as possible. You wouldn't gain as much, but you would still gain an inch or two over stock, right?
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I've been thinking about this too, if some of the skids(TT) give you 2 or 3 inches, couldn't you use them without a BL, then put a t-case drop in, as minimal of a drop as possible. You wouldn't gain as much, but you would still gain an inch or two over stock, right?
That just doesn't make much sense. I'm really not understanding the dislike for a 1" body lift. It's virtually unnoticeable and pretty much required for a tummy tuck unless you want to dent up the tub. And, it allows for a gas tank tuck and a 1" reduction in bump stop length, assuming everything else stays the same. And, as I said above, if you want to do a TT without doing a body lift, there is ONE kit out there that replaces the stock transmission mount with a low profile unit. That means it replaces the stock skid with something that's 2.5" higher but only raises the tranny/t-case something like 1" higher. There is room for that without a body lift.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
crawl under your Jeep. See if you find 2-3 inches all the way around every part of the engine, transmission and transfer case.

Put a degree/angle finder on the driveshaft. Write down the angle. Now stick the angle finder on the back of a 2ft magnetic level.

Take a tape measure and measure the distance from the ground to the output shaft on the slip yoke.

Now take a 2 ft magnetic level and stick it to your driveshaft, with one tip on the slip yoke itself.

Take that same tape measure, measure 2 and 3" above the slip yoke. Now stick that same magnetic level against the yoke on the rear axle, and match it with your 2 and 3" position above the slip yoke.

Whats your new driveshaft angle look like? The slip yoke is now pointing toward the sky. And 2" of the transfer case and transmission are sticking into the tub.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
That just doesn't make much sense. I'm really not understanding the dislike for a 1" body lift. It's virtually unnoticeable and pretty much required for a tummy tuck unless you want to dent up the tub. And, it allows for a gas tank tuck and a 1" reduction in bump stop length, assuming everything else stays the same. And, as I said above, if you want to do a TT without doing a body lift, there is ONE kit out there that replaces the stock transmission mount with a low profile unit. That means it replaces the stock skid with something that's 2.5" higher but only raises the tranny/t-case something like 1" higher. There is room for that without a body lift.
I'm not saying I'm going to do this, all I'm saying is that in theory couldn't he do that? Doing a 1 inch BL is the easiest way and makes the most sense IMO, I was just throwing the idea out there
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #12
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a home-built tummy tuck crossmember right now with no body lift and no MML. I used the stock tranny mount and have a piece of c-channel running even with the bottom of my frame. The channel hangs down a little bit, but the top of it is level with the frame. I had plenty of clearance with my 99 5-speed. The transfer case does rub on the tub occationally, but that could easily be fixed by denting the bottom of the tub. Because the floor is double layered, inside the Jeep you would see no change to the floor. I'll probably install a 1" MML to lessen my drifeshaft angle, but right now it runs and drives fine the way it is.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.