Tuffy overhead console ... what happens to yur stock radio? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tuffy overhead console ... what happens to yur stock radio?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
TJ_with_Tusks

Tuffy overhead console ... what happens to yur stock radio?

I'm thinking about getting the two compartment Tuffy overhead console. I'll put my CB, and a new head unit up there. What do you guys do with the stock radio location? Just leave the stock radio? I was thinking about taking out the radio and putting some kind of compartment, or some switches in there.

33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
TJ_with_Tusks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
highryder08

you can either put switches in that location or put a empty compartment to put like cds and other stuff
2000 Black TJ Sport, 4.5in. Superlift, 33x12.5in BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain's, 15x10in Cragar Black Steelies, Mile Marker 9000lb. winch, Bestop Tire Carrier, Custom Made Rear Bumper, Hella 500's, ARB Snorkel, Uniden CB/PA, SOLD
Appalachin State Mountaineers- Back to Back to Back National Champions!!
Go Noles!!
highryder08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
HTOR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I normally see people putting switches in there but having a compartment for cds would be a pretty good idea too!
HTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
sgrim80

I left my stock radio there. People see it and don't even think there is another radio hidden in the console.
American Racing Diamond Back 15x8" rims
1.25" JKS Body Lift and 1" JKS Budget Motor Mount Lift
4.10 Gears with Alloy USA Grande 35 w/ OX Locker
sgrim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
exminnesotaboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrim80
I left my stock radio there. People see it and don't even think there is another radio hidden in the console.
ditto on this idea - I just put a Tuffy stereo console in with a new CD player and will leave the factory head unit in the dash - bonus is that I will keep it hooked up for the clock function
Unread 08-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
sgrim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by exminnesotaboy
ditto on this idea - I just put a Tuffy stereo console in with a new CD player and will leave the factory head unit in the dash - bonus is that I will keep it hooked up for the clock function
One thing that is a drawback, when the vehicle is in for service or anything be sure to let them know that the radio is a "dead head". I've had a body shop trying to fix the stock radio because I didnt tell them I had one in my console haha. They thought they broke it.
American Racing Diamond Back 15x8" rims
1.25" JKS Body Lift and 1" JKS Budget Motor Mount Lift
4.10 Gears with Alloy USA Grande 35 w/ OX Locker
sgrim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
medieval

Tuffy overhead console was one of my first mods (and still one of my favorite).
I filled the hole with some diamond plate and installed 4 top gun switches (ones with the red plastic covers). I get alot of compliments on them, maybe because I have them labled "machine gun" "oil slick" "smoke screen" and "rocket launcher".
medieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medieval
Tuffy overhead console was one of my first mods (and still one of my favorite).
I filled the hole with some diamond plate and installed 4 top gun switches (ones with the red plastic covers). I get alot of compliments on them, maybe because I have them labled "machine gun" "oil slick" "smoke screen" and "rocket launcher".
That is really funny - pics...

I installed my new radio into the factory location and installed a CB and GPS in the overhead console. I lock up the face in the tuffy glovebox. It is annoying taking off the radio face everytime though. Eventually I will probalby get a tuffy stereo console and mount the radio inside.
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
TJ_with_Tusks

sounds good, I can't wait to get the console. Do you guys have any complaints about it ? ?
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
TJ_with_Tusks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No complaints from me - but some people complain about rattling. It is quiet on pavement but the dual console does rattle when you are offroad. I don't mind it since my tire carrier makes a lot more noise and the advantages outweigh any disadvantages. You will also have to do a little trimming to get the console to mount to a sport cage. This should be an easy thing to do.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.