Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tuffy (and other) security-trunk/ insta-trunk options?

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  NotURMailman 
#1 ·
I was considering getting one of the insta-trunk things and looked at the Jeep and Bestop models, someone locally on the Jeep Clubs FB page even had a NIB Bestop model for $60 but I noticed they have notches in the front corners that take up a lot of the space. Supposedly for the flip-n-fold seats latches or something.

Then I noticed the Tuffy model looks like it offers a bit more space and does not have the notches yet theirs still says it works properly with the flip-n-fold seat;

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-491-tuffy-1997-2006-tj-wrangler-security-tailgate-enclosure.aspx

I tried to find some pictures or videos but they was all on JK's or didn't show much detail.

Does anyone have any experience with the Tuffy model and how well it works in a TJ ...?

Any observations are helpful but I'm especially interested in verifying that it fits with the seat in the normal position (the few pics I found are always the same pic, and shows the seat folded up), doesn't have the notches in the corners, how well is it built, how secure it is when the tailgate is closed and locked, and how easy it is to use like opening the top (the Bestop has a hing but can't see one in the Tuffy pics tho they claim it opens), and just generally how it compares to the Bestop and factory Jeep models?

~

See less See more
#3 ·
Odd, their websites says it's hinged, and I've seen videos of people opening the top up with the tailgate open and the one that's for sale here locally even looks like it has an arm of some-kind to hold the top open. If it's one piece how does the top work to open?

#11 ·
That may explain why Neil and some websites don't mention hinging but the one that was for sale here locally does hing and the videos you YouTube are hit and miss too, some show it being able to lift the top up and some don't mention it.

If that's the case I'd prefer one of the older hinged models.

~

#8 ·
That's a kewl product, it's like something my brother built me for me for my CJ years ago. I need one for my Rubi but didn't know they made them commercially. I thought I'd have to have my brother make another one.

"CJ" Candice Jolene, "Dashie" 82 CJ-7, and "Rubi-Dash" 04 Rubicon

#10 ·
SouthernGypsy said:
I'm talking about the one advertised locally, it's hinged, you can see it in the pictures. There is even some kind of prop-rod on one side clearly meant to help hold/prop the top in the open position when the top is open. The Tuffy is also hinged and yes I did indeed go to their website. Here is a pic from their website... Note in the upper right corner beside the picture the phrase "Simple 1-piece hinged design with integrated mounting hardware does not require drilling" Which is the very reason why I asked about it, because their description seems to contradict itself, how can a "1 piece design" be hinged. If it's hinged then that implies that there is at least 2 parts. Even if they are permanently welded together with something like a piano hing, it still is made from more than one part. ~
If it's like mine, yes it's a piano hinge and the hinge is welded to both halves. So inseparable, unless you have a grinder or something to cut with.

#12 ·
Does the hinged model seem like a nice sturdy one? I think that's the kind I'd prefer to have if it's a good strong hinge design.

I messaged the guy with the one on the Arkansas Jeep Swap Shop Facebook page last night but by the time he answered me this afternoon he said it'd already sold, he let it go for $40 this morning ... :brickwall

I'm a member of both our counties SAR team and a volunteer coordinator for our counties OEM, not to mention a HAM radio operator on our local clubs RRT for disaster call-outs, and I carry a lot of stuff packed into go-bags stuffed into that small area back behind the rear seat.

~

#14 ·
The one on Facebook that had a hinge listed it for a 97-06 TJ, said it right on the box in their pictures, and their Jeep was an '05 Sport.

J03_TJ didn't mention which model his Jeep was with the hinged lid, but based on his username and since we was talking about TJ's I assumed he meant he has it in an '03 TJ.

It seems likely that J03_TJ is correct and they changed the design at some point.

Something I noticed this morning was a few sites seem to list the same part number for both TJ's and YJs but others list two different part numbers. Sellers on eBay often seem to list one model as fitting both Jeeps as well but I assumed that was a mistake on their part due to a lazy seller not paying attention.

~

#15 ·
SouthernGypsy said:
The one on Facebook that had a hinge listed it for a 97-06 TJ, said it right on the box in their pictures, and their Jeep was an '05 Sport. J03_TJ didn't mention which model his Jeep was with the hinged lid, but based on his username and since we was talking about TJ's I assumed he meant he has it in an '03 TJ. It seems likely that J03_TJ is correct and they changed the design at some point. Something I noticed this morning was a few sites seem to list the same part number for both TJ's and YJs but others list two different part numbers. Sellers on eBay often seem to list one model as fitting both Jeeps as well but I assumed that was a mistake on their part due to a lazy seller not paying attention. ~
Hmm, now you got me thinking, I just had a brain fart and am not sure it is a Bestop model? Gosh I can't remember now. Yes mine is a 2003 TJ. The box is semi sturdy I suppose, probably 18 gauge sheet metal if I had to guess. It wouldn't take anyone much time to get in it with a crowbar, even a small crowbar . Mostly just out of sight out of mind thinking with it. I can't remember ever opening the top, anytime I want something out I just pull it out of the open rear gate. The top is locked from the inside, so no way to open it unless it's unlocked or the gate is open, unless you have a crowbar. Sorry if I'm wrong and it wasn't a Bestop model.

#16 ·
It may have been though, the one on FB had a piano hinge at the back and a bar like I mentioned to hold the top up when you opened it and it was definitely a Bestop, they still had the box. In fact it was all but new. Their ad said they had bought it about 10 years ago but then for some reason never used it and it'd sat still in the box on a shelf up in their garage all that time until they was cleaning out their garage Saturday and found it still in the box up on a high shelf. The box was dusty and looked yellowed but was a Bestop. I think you was right when you said they may have changed the design over time. That would explain why a number of websites that offer them still describe them as having a hinge, they may be using an outdated description. Bestop probably changed the design but those places didn't ever bother updating their website descriptions. Wish I'd saved the pics from the FB add but they deleted the add after it sold.

I'm thinking about just making my own now.

~

#17 ·
Just bare in mind that to secure the Insta-trunk, you likely will need to drill holes into the wheel well and use nutserts for the quick release knobs to thread into...

FWIW- I have an Insta-trunk in my garage with the piano hinges and sliding barrel bolt locks to secure the lid.

I need to modify it to make it longer to cover the extra room behind the seat in my LJ.

#18 ·
Actually my Rubicon came factory with the Jeep instra-trunk option. It was listed on the window decals and build data and the blind-nuts are already in the back on each side. The original owner said she took it out because one of her high-speed video cameras cases wouldn't fit back there with it in place even with the lid open and she just quit messing with it after awhile. She said it was probably still in her garage on Hilton Head and if she found it the next time she was over there she'd send me a message and send it to me. She's actually sent me several things for the Jeep since I bought it as she's been finding them in her houses (seems like she has 3 or 4, must be nice to have that much money). I think the stock one is going to be plastic anyway though.

But anyway, assuming the other companies make their versions where they will line up with the stock holes the Jeep version used then I shouldn't have to drill those holes.

~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.