Tuffy Console Insert in 2004 console? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tuffy Console Insert in 2004 console?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
canuck_bob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tuffy Console Insert in 2004 console?

I looked at a tuffy console insert for the TJ today. The website says it fits to 2000. It appears to be a simple dropin for my 2004 full console if I remove the speaker. Anyone tried this fit yet. I've emailed Tuffy but was hoping someone here has actually done it. I measured and compared and the insert looks like a proper fit.

30x9.5x15 GY SA on Alcoa Forged
Red Jeep Club #486
canuck_bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'll be interested to hear back from them on that. I have not bought one yet due to what the site says it will fit.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

the lids on the stock console are still used. and the lid changed in 2000 or 2001. therefore the answer is probably not.
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
canuck_bob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll buy it and do an article

If noone can say one way or the other I'll buy it and do an article. No doubt the speaker comes out. I looked at the one designed for the later
tj's and with the speaker compartment the storage space is very limited.

The price is a real difference and capacity of the insert is big.
Red Jeep Club #486
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
canuck_bob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll check the tops out. It would mean maybe devising a new top pad. Thanks, I'll track down a early Jeep and compare the consoles.
Red Jeep Club #486
Unread 07-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
carolinatj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There was a similar thread a while back and the answer is no it will not fit. It is also not likely that there will be an insert for the late models because of the design of the latch.
carolinatj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I emailed tuffy and they said they don't make one for later year TJs and probably won't be making one. I asked if it was just the lid and they said probably, they can't see any other differences either. The lid screws on with 2 phillips on the inside hinge) Definately do a write up b/c I'm curious as well. As for the speaker, yes it comes out, yesterday in the electronics forum someone posted good pics on taking that out (replacing factory sub thread)
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
canuck_bob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll pick it up and do an install. I'm an old geezer so the woofer is gone! I took accurate measurements and the insert looks like an easy fit. I suspect the early and later TJ console are the same size with a lid change. The insert lid looks like a normal Tuffy lid with no top pad. The biggest question mark is the installation of the lid to the insert. It comes seperate unlike the completed Console boxes. Build thread to follow.

I'm just too cheap to not try and I want to leave my doors unlocked because a punk with a knife can do more damage than I can afford to a soft top going after my coffee change. Next payday will be a locking glovebox then an alarm. Almost makes a Canadian wish he lived in Texas and could actually carry and use a Colt.

Anyone who has installed the insert please speakup. Because I'm trying something different the seats come out to give me lots of room. The 2004 console splits ahead of console box so I will leave the front shift cover in place. Any other pointers?
Red Jeep Club #486
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
hollywood081470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you can get a half console that works by maintaining the original front portion where the shifter and 4wd lever is located. I just put the full console version in last weekend, they have a great product ......I highly recommend their stuff, I have their glovebox too ...another great product
hollywood081470 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.