Tuff's Jeep Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tuff's Jeep Build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #16
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Nice Jeep, is that a supertop? it looks kinda like a yj top?
it does look like a YJ top.
nice rig. it looks like you have room enough for 35"s.

your front control arms look like they could be mounted upside down, or backwards. you would have much more clearance if they were mounted the other way.

Unread 05-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
your front control arms look like they could be mounted upside down, or backwards.
Apparently they're not.

Source: Rustys Offroad: FAQ's

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Nice Jeep, is that a supertop? it looks kinda like a yj top?
It is a YJ top. The PO put it on there... If you look at the door skins, they dont fit good. The TJ skins have that step out thing on the rearward side of the door, but the YJ doesnt.

One of these days I will get a TJ top..

As far as I can figure it was a chick owned vehicle before I got it. There was cat hair and pee everywhere, also the mounting bolts are a phillips head, and every bolt has been janked by using a too small screwdriver. I never got to meet the PO. If I did I would have a lot of questions to ask.
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #19
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
it does look like a YJ top.
nice rig. it looks like you have room enough for 35"s.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. 35's are on the way, my 33's are getting long in the tooth, had I know that they would fit when I bought them I would have gone 35's.
Unread 05-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #20
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAC_Jeeper View Post
Nice pic!! What trail was that on? Nice build, keeping it clean and simple.
Thanks man, that's on the Poison Spider trail. Its on the obstacle called the Wedgie.
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
corndogduff

Looks slightly different than last time I saw it. I'm still jealous of your vinyl seats
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

woot justin! i'm bored at advanced 4wd waiting for my jeep to get done and i had to read your build thread again.. even tho i've been there for most the process you gotta post a pic of the xj when it was on 33's tho...
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #23
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, time to update.

I am always looking for a good deal on the local classifieds. A month or two ago I was searching during a slow time at work and found a soft top off a 2005 TJ. At the time I was running a Pavement-Ends Flip-Top. Hated it. It was thin, flapped like crazy and never looked right for some reason. Anyways, after calling the man and telling him to hold it for me I picked it up (Frame, windows, door surrounds, knobs, tailgate bar, everything) for $90. It fits great, looks good, and keeps the wind noise down compared to the old top. I'm satisifed. The best part of the deal was I turned around and sold the Pavement Ends top for $160.
Last Sunday a buddy of mine was talking to a friend of his and offered my tires and wheels to him. That friend-of-my-friend approached me and said that he would pay ~$500 for all 4 tires + wheels. I was intrigued by the offer and told him I'd consider it.

After thinking about it I remembered that I saw a used set of 4 35x12.5x15 MT/R Kevlar Tires for sale a few days before. I contacted the guy selling them and told me he would sell all 4 tires for $750 minus half the cost of mount +balancing of the new wheels since he wanted to keep the wheels they were mounted on. I walked away paying $720 for 4 MT/R Kevlar tires that had less than 500 miles on them.

I got ahold of 4-Wheel Parts and ordered some wheels, they are simple, but sharp looking. They are the Xtreme Alloy 1069's. Initially I called to purchase Mickey Thompson Classic ll's, come to find out I would have had to wait 2 weeks to get them, so they matched the price of the Xtreme Alloy wheels and I got them the next day.

I had them mounted Thursday, and I got around to taking pics today.

Side Shot.

Front Shot:

Shot of flares- The tires stick out just enough not to be elephant ears, but not enough where I will get hassled by cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #24
bryinga
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks good!
bryinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Woot! Still haven't seen it.. I might need your help this week on project cool down...
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #26
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Looks good Justin! How'd your date like Saturday? I hope you both had fun.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #27
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Loved the look of those KM2s with the MBs. I was going to say you should paint your lock rings on the mock locks silver to match, it looks pretty good, but since you sold them already never mind. You got vinyl in that bad boy? Yours is the only other TJ I've seen with vinyl. (In addition to mine that is.)

How do the kevlars hold up compared to the km2s?

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #28
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, that wheel and tire combo you had with the discontinued wheels looked great.
DirtyJeepBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #29
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got the opportunity to wheel down in Moab yesterday, and got to try out the Kevlars and the new Antirock. I am very impressed with both. A few months ago I was wheeling on a local trail called Rattlesnake, and smashed my rocker panel on a hill called Wayne's world. So I bought Teraflex's Aluminum rocker panel guards, and am impressed.

The antirock keeps the TJ very stable yet allows flex to keep me moving.

Now, I have always been a BFG fan, but since they were backordered at the time of 35" KM2's I opted to try out the Kevlars. They seem to hook great, definitely no worse than what the KM2's were. One thing I did notice is that I had to air down further with the Kevlars. I was ~12 psi comared to 15 with the KM2's. Not a huge deal, but wonder if I'm pushing my luck w/o popping a bead... We did wheel on Poison Spider, and Hell's Revenge including Hell's gate with no problems. So far so good...

I never realized how much my rear sway bar helped off-roading until one of the links broke yesterday. Normally with the sway bar connected and having the Detroit in the back the rear end would just scrub turning corners. You would hear a barking sound that just makes music to anyone's ears. After the link broke, rather than forcing the inside tire to scrub on the slickrock it would torque the suspension and would lift the drivers side tire when making a left hand turn. It was no small amount, depending on how the suspension would bind it would at times lift that drivers tire up to maybe 2' in the air. -Not something you would want to happen while trying to tackle an obstacle- fortunately its a cheap fix and I will be ready to wheel again.

801dubjay modeling the TJ

Unfortunately the whole rig isnt in the pic, but it still shows the new accessories as well.

At Moab Diner in the parking lot for the poser pic. mmmm good food.

Quote:
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #30
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
Loved the look of those KM2s with the MBs. I was going to say you should paint your lock rings on the mock locks silver to match, it looks pretty good, but since you sold them already never mind. You got vinyl in that bad boy? Yours is the only other TJ I've seen with vinyl. (In addition to mine that is.)

How do the kevlars hold up compared to the km2s?
So far I love the Kevlars, they seem to be great tires, they def don't do any worse than the KM2's.

Annd yes they are vinyl :/ Anyways people always seem to think that they are leather, I guess I will take it lol.

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.