Tube Fender? TnT vs Poison Spyder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tube Fender? TnT vs Poison Spyder

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
MeloYelo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Tube Fender? TnT vs Poison Spyder

I have the chance to upgrade to tube fenders and have narrowed it down to two choices.

Is one any better than the other? (stronger, etc.)

The TnT Customs fenders seem to be a complete replacement where the Poison Spyder uses a little bit of the original fender.

Any likes or dis-likes?

I am also looking at both for the rear corners. So same questions on those.

Thanks for the input.

2002 TJ Sport, Locked in rear. Armor dents and character.

05 WK 5.7L Limited. Stock...... for now.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #79
MeloYelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
xyz123
Super Senior Member

I've got the Metal Fusion tube fenders; I like 'em; they went on pretty well; I like the options available, such as remove and replace sections, they have a turn signal option that uses the factory side marker light..but the biggest benefit is they give you a couple of extra inches clearance between the fender and the rear of the tire.

The removable panels are nice..you know that little shelf on the driver side under the break booster that everybody wants to mount something, but always has trouble getting in there? remove three screws and take the side panel off.. and there you are..mount away...

I've not seen the TnT fenders..I just did a google, but didn't see a link to a website with pics..
xyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
MeloYelo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just put the order in for the TnT Customs tube fenders and corners.

Should be about 10 days or so for the fenders and about 2-3 weeks for the corners.

The corners are the ones that are cut 2.5" more at the rear wheelwell to allow a larger tire so some cutting will need to be done.

check out their site
www.tntcustoms.com

2002 TJ Sport, Locked in rear. Armor dents and character.

05 WK 5.7L Limited. Stock...... for now.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #79
MeloYelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I recently ordered front and rear from TNT. I had a shop put them on this week.

If I had to do it over again, I would have ordered from Poison Spyder.
Unread 02-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Tumble
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer.
I recently ordered front and rear from TNT. I had a shop put them on this week.

If I had to do it over again, I would have ordered from Poison Spyder.

Care to explain that?

BTW - I love my TNT's.
Tumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think the welds could be much, much better. I lover the overall look of them, but was not happy with the quality (or lack) of the welds.

For the money, I thought I was getting more of a finished look.

Also, I did not personally install them. but the shop that is installing them has installed a few sets of the PSC fenders and corners and they told me that the TNT required more work to install them.

The MAIN reason I ordered TNT is because I thought they were nicer looking (in their pics) and that it would be a simpler install. I don't believe that to be the case now
Unread 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Tumble
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer.
I think the welds could be much, much better. I lover the overall look of them, but was not happy with the quality (or lack) of the welds.

For the money, I thought I was getting more of a finished look.

Also, I did not personally install them. but the shop that is installing them has installed a few sets of the PSC fenders and corners and they told me that the TNT required more work to install them.

The MAIN reason I ordered TNT is because I thought they were nicer looking (in their pics) and that it would be a simpler install. I don't believe that to be the case now
I thought the welds seemed very nice to me. I know some people smooth and sand the welds but I've never been a big fan of that as I believe it could weaken the welds.

Do you think the issue (with the shop who installed them) is they had problems because it was something new to them? I just can't see how a full replacement fender could be more difficult to install than a fender that requires you cut up your existing fenders. That just seems much more labor intensive to me than unbolting a fender and bolting a new one on.

Besides the installation of the fenders do you have any other concerns with them?
Tumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My biggest concern (for me) is the welds. The shop taking more time on these.... that doesn't bother me. I want it done right. Now, I'm sure that it took a little more time because this is the first set from TNT for them to install. But I can honestly say that this shop is well known for quality work, and has built many comp rigs.

There was more to it then just putting on new fenders.

Grinding the welds down, or sanding them would reduce the overall strength of them. I don't see much sense in putting bondo to cover the welds because that would likely crack with the constant abuse of hitting the flare.
Unread 02-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Rivka
Returning From Sabbatical

2005 LJ Wrangler 

the extra work in to install seems to come from that you need to transplant many things that are mounted on the inside of the fender walls. depending on year and model of your jeep this can be a harder or simpler process. i do not have either but have been watching the comparison for about a year, figuring out what i want to do.
the upside of TNT's full replacement is a smoother inner wall not to mention a great fender.
I have heard from many that the poison spyder ones vert a lot on the install, some saying they went on easy after the cutting some saying it took tons of jimmying it into place, some say it is hell.
I think it says a lot about the small variances in jeep manufacturing and how that affects doing "bolt on" mods in general

just another 2¢

"Teach a man how to take his doors off and he will enjoy his Jeep for a day,
teach him to search the forums and he will enjoy his Jeep for life!"
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka
the extra work in to install seems to come from that you need to transplant many things that are mounted on the inside of the fender walls. depending on year and model of your jeep this can be a harder or simpler process. i do not have either but have been watching the comparison for about a year, figuring out what i want to do.
the upside of TNT's full replacement is a smoother inner wall not to mention a great fender.
I have heard from many that the poison spyder ones vert a lot on the install, some saying they went on easy after the cutting some saying it took tons of jimmying it into place, some say it is hell.
I think it says a lot about the small variances in jeep manufacturing and how that affects doing "bolt on" mods in general

just another 2¢
Very valid point.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.