Tub vs bumper mounted spare - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tub vs bumper mounted spare

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tub vs bumper mounted spare

I hate my 33x12.5 sitting on the tailgate. I leave it on for driving around town but when it's time to go off roading I strap it down inside. What are the pros/cons of a tub mounted tire carrier (see Treks, OR Fab, and eventual Savvy) vs. a bumper mounted system (everything else)? With a tub mounted spare I'd be afraid of dropping off a ledge onto the tire, and it tweaking the tub. What would prevent it from doing this? How exactly do the tub mounted ones mount? As it is now my choices would be either the jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier or savvy rear and wait to see what their tire carrier will be like.

Unread 03-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_punk View Post
With a tub mounted spare I'd be afraid of dropping off a ledge onto the tire, and it tweaking the tub.
If you drop off a ledge and tweak the tub,your spare tire is the least of your concerns.Spare tire looks just fine.

TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I meant with a tub mounted carrier, would coming down a ledge or other rock and bumping the bottom of the spare possibly do anything to the tub?
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think he meant being in control of his decent and landing on the ledge that he just drove down.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_punk View Post
I hate my 33x12.5 sitting on the tailgate. I leave it on for driving around town but when it's time to go off roading I strap it down inside. What are the pros/cons of a tub mounted tire carrier (see Treks, OR Fab, and eventual Savvy) vs. a bumper mounted system (everything else)? With a tub mounted spare I'd be afraid of dropping off a ledge onto the tire, and it tweaking the tub. What would prevent it from doing this? How exactly do the tub mounted ones mount? As it is now my choices would be either the jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier or savvy rear and wait to see what their tire carrier will be like.
Get the weight off the tub...IMO
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

flat in the bed?
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
flopp
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the tub mounted spares are ment to be mounted very secure. I would imagine a pin would brake first as long as the rest is set up proper. most are reinforced to the cage and attatch to corner armor. They are also designed to be slid on they are like rear stingers.
flopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

None of the bumpers he mentioned are rear stingers.. I have the Bestop (tub mounted), and I really wish I'd saved my money..
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_TJ06 View Post
None of the bumpers he mentioned are rear stingers.. I have the Bestop (tub mounted), and I really wish I'd saved my money..
You also have to consider that the bumpers he mentioned are substantially better than the Bestop carrier. I run an LoD rear frame mounted bumper and I hate it. I'm constantly tagging it on ledges and in general it is a POS (I understand many people are very satisfied with LoD, this is just my experience) that just kills my departure angle. My goal in the near future is to run the TNT rear crossmember replacement for some awesome protection and about as good of a departure as you can get and their rear body mounted tire carrier. It is plenty strong and will easily support your tire. Similarly I have never seen someone hit their rear tire coming off of a ledge but I'm sure it happens, I would expect the TNT or the OrFab would be more than capable to handle the impact.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bump for more opinions or pros/cons?

Can tub mounted carriers be used safely without corner armor?
Unread 07-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJUSTINm View Post
Bump for more opinions or pros/cons?

Can tub mounted carriers be used safely without corner armor?
Ive been wondering about the pros and cons of this lately. I know this is an old post but I thought I would just bump it rather than start a new thread. Does anyone know how heavy the Treks, OR Fab tub mount is?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
Spikex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The spare tire carrier on your bumper will take the weight off your tailgate, but I dont think if you come off a ledge and hit your spare it will save you from damage. My previous truck was a ford bronco, I stood it up on its rear end one day trying to drive up a hill, the spare tire pushed in the tailgate, warped the rear panels, and broke the rear side glass. Then again if I didnt have a spare on there, or had a spare on a rear bumper I imagine the damage would have been similar.

[I][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Selling a Jeep when you should be fixing it is a hellworthy trespass. You'll end up in a beerless afterlife filled with pavement and Hyundai sport-compacts, and a severe lack of women.[/FONT][/I]
Spikex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Thexonexkid

1986 XJ Cherokee 

I had the expedition one rear bumper w/ tire carrier which carried a 35x15 and it was pretty solid. Pretty good position I never got hung up on anything. The TJ one looks pretty slick, and different from the JK one so if you are searching around make sure your looking at the right one.
Unread 07-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Davemac85
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed the OR Fab rear carrier ( tub mounted ) with no corner armor.. its very sturdy. the inside plates mount to the roll bar mounting bolts and sandwich the tub from out and in. With the carrier fully out I can lift the jeep with it and i don't have any squeeks or rattles while driving. It mounts higher then a stock carrier, which I don't have a problem with departure angles at all.
Davemac85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
body , bumper , mounted , spare , tub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.