Is a TT worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a TT worth it?

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
J_Ro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is a TT worth it?

I've been reading a lot lately about guys doing TT on their TJ to get more clearance and eliminate "the shovel" and it's gotten me wondering if it would be worth it on my setup.

My Rubi has a skid row oil pan skid plate so the shovel effect is mostly elminated so the only real gain would be clearance. (The skid row bolts to the front of the T-case skid so it provides a nice ramp for anything the t-case skid would normally end up shoveling. I'll see if I can get a good pic this evening after work for an example.)

There is already an ~1.5 inch BL and I'm not sure if there is a MML yet (The Rubi was heavily modified already when I purchased it, so I still get surprises everytime I get underneath it ).

Do you guys think the slightly extra ground clearance (and the enhanced look) is worth the effort of a TT? I haven't and any issues yet with clearance so it's just a hypothetical question now.

J_Ro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can I recommend the 33 Engineering one? I've seen it and it's nice.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I has been the best mod I've done so far on mine. I had alot of hang-ups and it was rough on the rocks, plus my skid was dented pretty bad. Now I gained around 2" and it's smooth so it slides better. Even though there's more to it than just bolting a new skid on, I love it!
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
J_Ro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know if it would be compatible with the oil pan skid I already have in place?
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a homemade TT on my LJ and it is worth the extra 2-3" of belly clearance. Where are you at in IA?
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Ro View Post
Anyone know if it would be compatible with the oil pan skid I already have in place?
there is a write up on ROF about the Skidrow engine skid and the Rokmen TT.....you may want to look around.
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
J_Ro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cedar Rapids, Awesome!

I work at Rockwell and live off of C St and hwy 30. You?
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is the equivalent clearance of a tire at least 4" larger. So, if your'e running 33s, the tummy tuck alone will give you as much clearance as the guy next to you running 37s with the stock skid....obviously the amount of lift comes into play but you know what I mean. YES, it is worth it. But, it's only part of the equation. You will need a SYE, new driveshaft, and adjustable control arms to get everything right. A MML is a good idea if you don't already have one.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Playing devil's advocate, a TT won't change your ground clearance (i.e. the distance between the ground and the lowest part of your jeep, which are the differentials) and it raises your center of gravity. And most TTs require a body lift (which you already have), which further raises your center of gravity.

Just something to think about.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
J_Ro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
It is the equivalent clearance of a tire at least 4" larger. So, if your'e running 33s, the tummy tuck alone will give you as much clearance as the guy next to you running 37s with the stock skid....obviously the amount of lift comes into play but you know what I mean. YES, it is worth it. But, it's only part of the equation. You will need a SYE, new driveshaft, and adjustable control arms to get everything right. A MML is a good idea if you don't already have one.
It's a Rubi so it has an NP241 (Fixed yoke, no need for SYE), already has a CV driveshaft and adjustable rear UCAs (front are still stock)

Still havent verified if it has MML yet. I assume that it would look like what BL looks like except it will be on the motor mounts?
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
J_Ro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Playing devil's advocate, a TT won't change your ground clearance (i.e. the distance between the ground and the lowest part of your jeep, which are the differentials) and it raises your center of gravity. And most TTs require a body lift, which further raises your center of gravity.
From the OP, it already has a BL.

Dragging the diff is an entirely different problem than getting high-centered on the skid. Like apples n oranges, etc.
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I realized that a little late, so I went back and edited that.

Quote:
Dragging the diff is an entirely different problem than getting high-centered on the skid. Like apples n oranges, etc.
Exactly right. I think I would only go with a TT after I've installed the largest tires that I want on my rig and I've been hung up on that tranny skid to the point that it's either become damaged and needs to be replaced, unsafe, or really annoying. There's a lot to be said for a low center of gravity.

edit: What I'm trying to say is that not everyone will benefit from a TT. It depends on the wheeling that you do.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
ROUGHSHOD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the 33 Eng. TT along with the SkidRow engine/tranny skid and it all works just fine.
ROUGHSHOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Playing devil's advocate, a TT won't change your ground clearance (i.e. the distance between the ground and the lowest part of your jeep, which are the differentials) and it raises your center of gravity. And most TTs require a body lift (which you already have), which further raises your center of gravity.

Just something to think about.
Thank you, I always appreciate the devil's advocate. Yes, it won't lift your diffs. But, think about how often the diffs get in the way and your belly pan doesn't. The belly pan is in the middle, so when you crawl over a something with a steep incline, it will get the hit--not the diffs (most of the time). I know that I scraped my belly much more than my diffs on 31s. MUCH more. The raise in center of gravity is almost negligible, given the benefits. It's less than raising the whole vehicle with suspension lift. But, I see where you're coming from....someone has to challenge the norm. But no matter how you put it, tummy tucks rock.
Quote:
It's a Rubi so it has an NP241 (Fixed yoke, no need for SYE), already has a CV driveshaft and adjustable rear UCAs (front are still stock)

Still havent verified if it has MML yet. I assume that it would look like what BL looks like except it will be on the motor mounts?
Yeah, I totally forgot you have a rubi. That's a good thing. With the adjustable rear uppers, you may want to combine them with adjustable lowers so your wheelbase doesn't go to crap.
Quote:

Indeed.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

definitely worth it. get the Rokmen setup. www.rokmen.com
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.