Trying to put new upper door skin on.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trying to put new upper door skin on....

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
ChemESGH
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Trying to put new upper door skin on....

Bought el cheapos off ebay just to get me by as my TJ is about to become my daily driver to work and back. The drivers side half door upper door skin was shot. Just need something that will zip and keep the rain and elements out.

Got two door skins off ebay in on Friday.

Cut the old skin off the original frame and have been trying since friday evening to get this thing on.......

I'm about ready to throw kerosene on it and light it on fire. I don't see how this thing is going to fit. It's close, but it just doesn't want to go.

Out of driving lights, tune up, new brakes and caliper this has turned out to be the hardest thing I've done to the jeep so far....I've lost my patience and had to put the window away for the night before I smash it.

I know they need to be tight so they won't flap and such....but this seems a bit overkill. Is it just because I bought them dirt cheap off ebay? Or are they all like this?

ChemESGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My replacements were super tight when I first got them. It took a couple tries, but they went on.
2004 TJ SE 2.4L 5-speed. 2.5" Rough Country Lift, 1.25" Rough Country BL, Rough Country Stinger, Rough Country Rocker Rails, 9,500LB Vortex Winch ($200 off eBay), 4' FireStik, CB, Dana 30/35 4.10's, front Aussie Locker. 33x12.50x15 Dakota A/T on 15" Canyons painted black, 1.5" wheel spacers. Remote Start. MCE Flatty Fenders. All work done by me, with some help from my friends.

Videos: www.youtube.com/bwfbezerk
Pics: www.facebook.com/bwfbezerk
Xbox: BWFBezerk
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Try laying them out in the sun for a few hours to get them warm and pliable, then work on them before they cool down. Be gentle.
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go to bestop and download the instructions on how to do it. When I did mine I didn't follow the directions and it almost bested me. If you follow along the way they say to do it it will work. Even if they are not bestop how many ways can there be to make a skin right?

Tags
door , half door , upper door skin , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.