Trying to lift my 00' TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trying to lift my 00' TJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 10-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Denver area.

yea, theres some other stuff....
a drop pitman arm, which needs to be replaced with the stock pitman arm.
stock front track bar needs to be replaced with an aftermarket bar, and the axle bracket needs to be reinforced. see here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...racket-905624/
looks like RE adjustable arms
So is it a crap lift job or just not ideal? Is all of this stuff that's not too difficult to do if I do some research how to do it? Also, is my pitman arm stock and I need a drop pitman arm or the other way around?

Now I know why it is recommended to buy a Jeep stock and do your own mods.

Skold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Adjustable front trackbar is what you need. Keep the OE pitman arm.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skold View Post
So is it a crap lift job or just not ideal?
based on the pictures, some of it looks to be crap. some components may be salvageable though.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help and am trying to learn my head from my a$$ when it comes to this stuff. I'm guessing there are several possibilities based on what you guys are saying that could be contributing to my death wobble on the highway. It is not happening all of the time but it seems like when I hit a bump at around a certain speed it gets going.

Would you be so kind as to post links for perspective parts I need? Kind of a shopping list of parts you'd recommend?

Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/JKS-OGS126-Fro.../dp/B005TTZO9O

OR

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/-p-...FcI7Mgod_E8A5g
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Before you start throwing parts at it you need to do the dry steering test. Basically have the key to the On position (don't start the Jeep) so the steering wheel in unlocked. Have some one wag the wheel back and forth just enough to feel tension on the steering wheel. You look under the Jeep to see what parts are moving. Shouldn't be much play in any of it but if your TRE's are moving or control arms, you've found your problem. If not check toe, check ball joints, and check tire balance.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #21
jeepmike4x4

Yeah you're most likely getting bump steer caused by your track bar being at a different angle than your drag link Which can often cause death wobble. I would look into a drop bracket and an adjustable track bar. Before installing a new track bar have a front and rear Alignment done so you can make sure that your front axle is not kicked from one side or the other. I noticed your track bar mounting bracket on the axle has a second hole drilled. You might already know this but your track bar keeps your axle from moving side to side and keeps it centered under the vehicle. Like previously stated check your axle ball joints were steering ball joints your steering stabilizer which is the shock laying horizontally And your wheel balance. All of these will cause death wobble!!
jeepmike4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
Adjustable front trackbar is what you need. Keep the OE pitman arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmike4x4 View Post
Yeah you're most likely getting bump steer caused by your track bar being at a different angle than your drag link Which can often cause death wobble. I would look into a drop bracket and an adjustable track bar. Before installing a new track bar have a front and rear Alignment done so you can make sure that your front axle is not kicked from one side or the other. I noticed your track bar mounting bracket on the axle has a second hole drilled. You might already know this but your track bar keeps your axle from moving side to side and keeps it centered under the vehicle. Like previously stated check your axle ball joints were steering ball joints your steering stabilizer which is the shock laying horizontally And your wheel balance. All of these will cause death wobble!!
Yeah, I'm going to go over those things today or this weekend at least. FWIW, the Jeep goes straight on the highway and does not pull to either side. Also, the previous owner said they did an alignment after dropping the lift from 4" to 3". I never even noticed the death wobble until I hit a specific section of the highway the other day and I think a certain bump and maybe even bump pattern in the road there is what set the death wobble in motion. Most of the time it is not there or I would have detected it on my test drive prior to purchasing and probably would have passed.

Tags
help needed , lift advice , questions , suspension , tj wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.