Trying to lift my 00' TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trying to lift my 00' TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
shifty00

Trying to lift my 00' TJ

Hey guys this is my first post on jeep forum. Ive been crusing the site for a few years now gaining information but i never really need much help with anything so i was more of a reader than a poster but now its about time that the jeep got a little higher.

I have a 2" skyjacker hydro 7000 lift kit that seems pretty easy to install but as ive been doing research ive come up with a few questions and i figured this would be the best place to start. so here they go.

1. with a 2 inch lift do i need new sway bar endlinks?

2. (this one has a couple of parts) While researching i have come across new coil springs that will give me another 4 inches
a) is this something that will work with the shocks and bump stops i got with my skyjacker kit
b) is it worth getting?
c) if i were to get the springs does this mean i need to buy other parts aswell to adapt the rest of my jeep?

Thanks guys

shifty00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

1. Not necessary, but if you do much actual wheeling the ball and socket design in the original front links will fail.

2. Turning a 2" spacer lift into 6" of total lift is a huge change. Yes, it means a lot of new parts (e.g. driveline changes) and means parts you have likely won't work (e.g. shocks).

What size tires do you plan to run? 2" puts you in lets say 31-32" area, but 6" (for now let's just say that's a good idea, even though that is a big question) is probably 35"+ area. Those are much different builds.
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

First decide on what tire you are going to run and then decide how much lift you need.

I'll tell you from experience, 2in lift with stock swaybar links, will limit flex and also eventually break the endlinks. I broke mine when I had a spacer lift years ago.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ Sport
00 TJ Sport
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
shifty00

Ok thanks guys i figured that another 4 inches would require some real work i will most likely just stick with the 2" for now. I think i may get the end links just to be safe because i plan on trying to get on some trails in the near future. To be honest i have been planning on running a 2 inch lift with 32s for almost a year now and i finally got the lift kit and then i saw skyjacker springs on clearance that added another 4 inches and the gears began to spin ya know? But after thinking about it and then confirmed by you guys it would be alot more work then i am ready for right now but i will keep that idea in my back pocket.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2in lift you can basically keep a lot of the stock components in your suspension with out much issue at all.

4in lift and you are looking at a slew of things to make it work correctly.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ Sport
00 TJ Sport
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
shifty00

Alright great! thanks guys Im gonna stick with the 2" i think its gonna come out good
Unread 10-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Install the 2in lift you have and if you decide you want more add a 1 or 1.25in bodylift.
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Bobby181
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have two Jeeps. 98 with a Skyjacker 2" buget boost. It came with the 4 spring spacers and 4 longer shocks. Thats all I needed to fit 32x11.50 R15. It rides better than stock. $286 from Quadratec.

The second Jeep is a 2000. I purchased a RC 4" susp lift with an upgraded steering stab shock. $600. I'm running 33x12.50R15. Rides great as well. The kit included 4 longer shocks, 4 springs, 4 control arms, 4 sway bars, and a few other items. Possibly gonna purchase a SYE in the future, but riding fine now. Also no rubbing from tires.
Bobby181 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How would a noob like me who bought an already lifted TJ figure out what kind of lift they even have? I know I have Rubicon Express and Bilstein gear under there and think it's about a 3" lift. Maybe some of you experts can tell by looking. One thing that puzzles me is the model of my Rubicon Express shocks come up as a JK part. Any input is appreciated!

Here are some pics:
20131005_142026.jpg   20131005_141658.jpg   20131005_141727.jpg   20131005_141715.jpg   20130930_151028.jpg  

20131005_141941.jpg

Skold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright great! thanks guys Im gonna stick with the 2" i think its gonna come out good
Good plan. Check out some of the Low Center of Gravity Builds (LCOG). They may give you some ideas.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skold View Post
How would a noob like me who bought an already lifted TJ figure out what kind of lift they even have?
I see poly jounce bumpers...which is a problem...IMHO...

read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/4-...l#post15066288
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I see poly jounce bumpers...which is a problem...IMHO...

read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/4-...l#post15066288
So what are you suggesting I need to do? Add bumpstop extensions? If so, which ones as an example?

Thanks for the advise!
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So what are you suggesting I need to do? Add bumpstop extensions? If so, which ones as an example?

Thanks for the advise!
proper bumpstop extensions and stock jounce bumper....
see here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. and links Unlimited. I'm such a noob at this stuff that it hurts my brain even trying to comprehend the details in that second link you posted. I will either need to spend some time going over the information very slowly until I comprehend or just find someone who knows this stuff to show me in person. You don't happen to live near Bailey, CO do you?

From my pictures above, do you see anything else bad or wrong with my lift. Does it look like a decent job, crap job, etc. and what type of lift do I have?

Thanks again for all of the help!
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You don't happen to live near Bailey, CO do you?
Denver area.

Quote:
From my pictures above, do you see anything else bad or wrong with my lift. Does it look like a decent job, crap job, etc. and what type of lift do I have?
yea, theres some other stuff....
a drop pitman arm, which needs to be replaced with the stock pitman arm.
stock front track bar needs to be replaced with an aftermarket bar, and the axle bracket needs to be reinforced. see here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...racket-905624/
looks like RE adjustable arms

Tags
help needed , lift advice , questions , suspension , tj wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.