Trunk for 06 TJ Unlimited (LJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trunk for 06 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
chad_33us
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Trunk for 06 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Someone has probably asked this before, Can someone/anyone tell me or show me how to build a trunk for my 06 TJ Unlimited (with or without back seat). I am in the military and have to carry some gear with me to work sometimes. I love having the top off, with the gear and the top off I would be asking someone to walk away with my stuff. So if any one can guide me in the right direction?

chad_33us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
ian0341fo
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tuffy Products. http://www.quadratec.com/products/24252_101_07.htm I have one of these in my LJ and works great. I'm a Marine, so I'm always hauling gear in there, just like you. Its big enough to fit a day pack and a broken down M-16, not that I'd know.
Unread 07-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
chad_33us
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Need measurements

Could anyone get me the measurements for building a trunk in a 06 Rubicon Unlimited? I am currently deployed to Iraq and have some down time. I am going to build here and bring home (have the ability to do so). Would like to build one to keep the rear seat in so the family can enjoy the off roading with me.
THANKS
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Chad, first, thanks for your service!

Second, I don't have one but it is on my list to build as well. If you go to the link below, Tuffy has two boxes, and they have the sizes for each if you click on them.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/s-55-2004-2006.aspx

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

make your own, lots cheaper.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just cut a piece of plywood to fit it. I need to carpet it and put a piece that runs to the floor and secure it down. You won't be able to remove it due to how tight it is
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Heres what I did. I am very happy with it and it was cheap.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/contico-tuff-bin-installed-unlimited-w-rear-seat-590637/

Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_33us View Post
Someone has probably asked this before, Can someone/anyone tell me or show me how to build a trunk for my 06 TJ Unlimited (with or without back seat). I am in the military and have to carry some gear with me to work sometimes. I love having the top off, with the gear and the top off I would be asking someone to walk away with my stuff. So if any one can guide me in the right direction?
Hey Chad. That's the 2nd thing I did to my LJ when I got it last year. Gotta have a place to put stuff! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...61&postcount=4

My dimensions are 22" front to back, 12" high and 35" left to right. One sheet of diamond plate with three bends and a bit of welding. The bottom edges of the sides have angle iron welded in to give me a lip for screwing / bolting it to the floor. That could have been another pair of bends I suppose.

If you don't make right angles you could make the bottom more than 22 since the rear seat slopes back a bit. I'm not quite sure of that distance but if I pull the box out anytime soon I'll get a measurement for you. Since mine *is* right angles I just stuff random things down between the box & back of the seat.

If you pull the carpet out you'll need to either put spacers under the sides or make the sides longer than the front. 1/2" should just about do it. I'll be doing this soon since I have a tendency to get caught in the rain now & then. At the same I'm going to replace the sheet metal screws with nutserts / rivnuts which should be a bit more stable.
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've put a lot of thought into this, even though I don't have a LJ yet. I don't like the wood designs because they are too heavy and not that nice, in my opinion. I don't like the Tuffy boxes because I think you sacrifice too much usable space by trying to fit everything into a drawer.

I think the best design is something based off the Olympic Trunk. http://www.quadratec.com/products/14147_1200_07.htm

I'd like to see someone build this product, but for a LJ. The top needs to have a hinged section to allow larger items to fit with the trunk lid lifted. It would also be nice if the front/back section was hinged to allow long items to be carryed flat if the back seat was folded forward. While I'm dreaming, it should be aluminum to save weight since this would take a pretty significant bit of metal for this.

I have designed and redesigned this trunk in my head several times when I dream of outfitting "NextJeep". Once I buy my LJ, I will try to build it myself using cardboard templates first and then aluminum. If you can wait 2-3 years, you can see how mine turns out.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I built something myself like that Olympic trunk. I essentially took 1" tubing and make to runner that go across the back and behind the rear seat and bolt on the sides. I put three cross bars across them, and cut and rivited diamond plate to the top of it. Then to make sure the seat doesn't fold forward I put an I-Bolt thought the latch and secured it with a lock to the frame. I can take some picture tomorrow if you'd like?
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd like to see someone build this product, but for a LJ. The top needs to have a hinged section to allow larger items to fit with the trunk lid lifted. It would also be nice if the front/back section was hinged to allow long items to be carryed flat if the back seat was folded forward. While I'm dreaming, it should be aluminum to save weight since this would take a pretty significant bit of metal for this.
It should be fairly easy to build this from something like I have. I didn't think of building it like that. I was more concerned about just getting it covered.
Unread 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
I built something myself like that Olympic trunk. I essentially took 1" tubing and make to runner that go across the back and behind the rear seat and bolt on the sides. I put three cross bars across them, and cut and rivited diamond plate to the top of it. Then to make sure the seat doesn't fold forward I put an I-Bolt thought the latch and secured it with a lock to the frame. I can take some picture tomorrow if you'd like?
I'd like to see some pictures of what you have. Outside and looking in with the back door opened.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #13
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll try and get the pics tomorrow when I take my top off. Need sunlight, and it's 12:31 for me right now.
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
gus54
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to my trunk build. I've since added 3/8" aluminum angle to the edges for looks, strength, and durability and got rid of the weather stripping on the tailgate side and just carpeted that edge too. No recent pics - sorry.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...nk#post7044747
gus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
chad_33us
2006 LJ Wrangler 

next question

Thanks guys
All the designs look great and have given me some great ideas. Keep'm going. Now the question is what material do you all think is better.
1. WOOD
-Is it to heavy?
-Not as weather resistant?

2. METAL
- Will it bang around?
- More secure?

Let me know what you all think

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.