True or False about 2" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > True or False about 2" lift

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
OSCS Paul

True or False about 2" lift

If you lift more than two inches then you have to spend more money on drive shafts and the like. What about shocks, would you also need to put longer shocks in. I'm looking at 1.5 inch spring spacers. Any hidden items I need to know about before installing?

OSCS Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
scottcha

If you go bigger than 2", you need longer shocks to match, then you have to worry about front/rear trackbar relocators, t-case drop/motor mount lift (MML), a SYE, which requires a new rear driveshaft, control arms, sway bar links, extended brake lines, and list gets longer as you go taller.

with 1.5" spacers, I think all you would need is longer shocks, I'm not sure if you can get away with stock shocks. With a 2" BB, you would want taller shocks.

[COLOR=White]White Jeep Club member #178[/COLOR]
Colorado Jeepers Club member #7
scottcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
quitelifted
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got the rocky road outfitters 2in spacers. It came with bar pin eliminaters, which are shock mount extentions. I was able to use my stock shocks. Some kits have you get new shocks but I saw no need.
quitelifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

And no, you don't *have* to do SYE and rear driveshaft. You should, but don't have to. A guy at the office had 4" lift and 35s for 3 years with only a tcase drop. He recently added spring spacers for a bit less rubbing, and then had to do the SYE and CV shaft, but he had no worries before with light trail and sand use.

And the CV shaft isn't all it's cracked up to be - I've fiddled with my pinion angle until I'm frustrated and cannot get it to run smooth all the time.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
monkeyrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcha
If you go bigger than 2", you need longer shocks to match, then you have to worry about front/rear trackbar relocators, t-case drop/motor mount lift (MML), a SYE, which requires a new rear driveshaft, control arms, sway bar links, extended brake lines, and list gets longer as you go taller.

i thought if you got a 3" lift or lower you didn't need a SYE, control arms, or extended brake lines. you might have to relocate some clips for some things (cant remember exactly what) and the brake lines to get more slack-but that was it.

i apologize for hi-jacking but also feel my next question will have benefit for many newbies (like myself) looking for answers since the thread title will probably lead them in..

i plan on a 2.5" OME lift with a 1"body lift/motor mount lift-no t-case drop in the future. is it possible my jeep may need SYE, control arms, extended brake lines? i understand all jeeps are different from beating the search button to death before it died a week ago-but maybe i should ask it this way: have the majority of ppl on this forum with a set-up like what i'm interested had to do the above items?
monkeyrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Dan-O

You can also buy shock extenders. I've heard they can be a pain to install sometimes, but they are a lot cheaper than buying new shocks.
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

one thing to remember, aftermarket shocks will give you a MUCH better ride, so i think it is worth buying the whole kit. i have the trailmaster SSV shocks and it was night and day over the stock ride, even though my jeep came with the "best" factory shocks...
4-speed Atlas
lots of armor, bunch of other goodies
Baystate Jeepers member
base shakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
98TJSport
2004 TJ Wrangler 

FWIW, here is a pic of my jeep with a 2" BB

i used aftermarket shocks, other than that its all stock.
i didnt need to do a Tcase drop and no wobbles at all.
any questions let me know
Unread 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Pottymouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Location: 30 minutes south of Baghdad....oops....I mean Detroit.
I just did a 2" (1.75in coil spacer + 0.25in stock isolator) BB lift on the front end of my TJ to offset the weight of recently installed mods (bumper, winch, winchplate). To answer your questions, you will not need to get new shocks BUT your oem shocks will be just about extended to their max and make for a bumpy ride. I paid $64.00 for a pair of new Rough Country shocks that gave me an extra 2-4in of flex. If you ask me, it was worth it. The ride is noticably better. I did not have to do a tcase drop (although, my situation was slightly different since I was just evening my Jeep out). If I was you, I would invest in longer shocks, it can only make things better.
10" Kicker Compvx Subwoofer
350W Kicker Amp
A big back seat for some fun with the lady friends
Pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.