Trouble shifting into 2nd and 4th - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trouble shifting into 2nd and 4th

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
mtgctsgta

Trouble shifting into 2nd and 4th

99 Wrangler Sahara (4L engine with AX15 Trans)

174,xxx miles

Just replaced the trans with a rebuilt one from a reputable shop, along with new clutch kit.

- Sometimes 2nd and 4th will go in ok
- Other times, it'll grind when trying to shift into them (with fully pressed in clutch)
- and even other times, itll go in, but I wont know it. (Feels muddy - I put it in but I have to keep pulling untill I feel the shifter not moving anymore, and I can't tell it actually engauged untill I let go of the clutch and feel if there is load on it)

1,3,and 5 Feel perfect, go in fine, and I can tell it shifted into gear (reverse mostly fine)

I can also hear a new sound during idle, when no gear is enguaged and clutch is not pressed in. (When clutch is pressed sound goes away)
- I think that this is unrellated to the main issue, but I figured I would throw it in (Heard this is normal on all wranglers, expecially ones newer, or with newer trans parts, like mine)

My ideas so far,

- 1. Replace the fluid in the AX15 with synchromesh (Currenly used PX3 Brand gear oil from O'Rielys - compatible, but i hear nothing but good about synchromesh / redline here) - Dont think this will fix everyhing, becuase 1,3,and 5 are perfect

- 2. Clutch master may need to be bled (What are some symptoms that help me determine if this needs to be done?)

- 3. Issue with the shifter - Any idea what to look for here?

Thanks.

mtgctsgta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Take it back to the shop if there's a warranty on the work.A shifter issue would only be because of a BL or t case drop.The Redline MT-90 won't help.
p.s. Fill out your profile for better answers in the future.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
athlon12

Bump

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid removal of the trans again, this is my DD and the shop that built the trans is about 3 hours each way.

Anyone else have input on any of my questions?
athlon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
athlon12

Apparently I remembered my old accounts password too
athlon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2nd gear , 4th gear , ax15 , grinding , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.