Trouble shifting into 2nd and 4th
99 Wrangler Sahara (4L engine with AX15 Trans)
Just replaced the trans with a rebuilt one from a reputable shop, along with new clutch kit.
- Sometimes 2nd and 4th will go in ok
- Other times, it'll grind when trying to shift into them (with fully pressed in clutch)
- and even other times, itll go in, but I wont know it. (Feels muddy - I put it in but I have to keep pulling untill I feel the shifter not moving anymore, and I can't tell it actually engauged untill I let go of the clutch and feel if there is load on it)
1,3,and 5 Feel perfect, go in fine, and I can tell it shifted into gear (reverse mostly fine)
I can also hear a new sound during idle, when no gear is enguaged and clutch is not pressed in. (When clutch is pressed sound goes away)
- I think that this is unrellated to the main issue, but I figured I would throw it in (Heard this is normal on all wranglers, expecially ones newer, or with newer trans parts, like mine)
My ideas so far,
- 1. Replace the fluid in the AX15 with synchromesh (Currenly used PX3 Brand gear oil from O'Rielys - compatible, but i hear nothing but good about synchromesh / redline here) - Dont think this will fix everyhing, becuase 1,3,and 5 are perfect
- 2. Clutch master may need to be bled (What are some symptoms that help me determine if this needs to be done?)
- 3. Issue with the shifter - Any idea what to look for here?