Trouble removing doors from Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trouble removing doors from Jeep

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
cowboy1107
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Trouble removing doors from Jeep

Ok, this will sound dumb I know but I am having all kinds of trouble getting my full doors off my 2000 TJ. Yes, I took the nuts off,but still the doors wont budge. From the looks of the paint on the nuts, I will guess it is the first time anyone has attempted to take the doors off this jeep. Any suggestions?

cowboy1107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

soak the hinges down with some kroil if you got it. of some good penetrating oil. take the strap off and rotate the door for a while, then try to pull them off.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Give the search button up top a shot next time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...off-tj-200024/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...-help-1067978/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...or-off-154820/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...f-help-278989/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/t...horse-1027724/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/t...ptions-538020/

That was the first page of results for "can't get the doors off".
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hit the hinge pin from the bottom up with a hammer.

Put something around the hinge to protect the body when doing this so you do not smack the side of the Jeep and take paint off.

Once you hit the hinge pins a few times they usually break loose.

Also work the door back and forth while you are lifting up.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with mine. I used some PB Blaster and lifted on the door while swinging it back and forth. It took some doing but it will go. Just make sure once you get them off you grease the pins before you put the doors back on.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
97yellow
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had trouble getting mine off so i was pulling up and moving back and forth and all of a sudden the door came loose and scratched the paint .
97yellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Door's

Quote:
lumpster soak the hinges down with some kroil if you got it. of some good penetrating oil. take the strap off and rotate the door for a while, then try to pull them off.
I used this method with some WD-40 worked great for me then added some grease never had the same problem since.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 with full doors. My doors came straight off too. They were taken never off before I got it. Got lucky I guess. I hold the doors with both hands closest to the inside bottom. Then wiggle the doors back and forth. I only had to do it this way once, only took me 5 min total this way. Now they come off with a gentle pull. Good luck.
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
cowboy1107
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone i will try using some PB Blaster or WD40 first then maybe the hammer.
cowboy1107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
bernulli
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just took them off my 04 yesterday. Prev owner never removed them. I hit the hinges with PB blaster, let them sit for about 4 hours. Still would not come off. So I opened the door about half way, and as a lever, wedged a 4' 2x4 under the forward section of the door and the sill on the tub. I then applied some gradual upward pressure on the 2x4. The door then slid off. Just make sure someone is helping you out in case the thing pops off too fast. This procedure didn't mark the paint and it didn't cause any other damage. I think it's key to just place the board toward the front of the door and use gradual pressure. Definitely let that PB blaster penetrate for a while first.
bernulli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , wrangler , removing , remove , door , removal , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.