Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tried everything but still can't remove doors

7K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  jh1328 
#1 ·
took bolts off, used a hell of a lot of WD40 but I still can't pull the doors off my TJ. Anybody got any ideas?

#2 ·
just keep swinging it while pulling up on it.....

#5 ·
all i did was removed the bottom hinge where it mounts to the fender panel and then pull up so all your force will go into the top hinge, and then you can manhandle it out. just try not to bend the hinge. once the top slides out just knock the bottom one off with a rubber mallet. bolt it back onto the body and you are good to go, then sand the pin down a little and greases it up for re installment.

#6 ·
Yep... just gotta pull up whilst 'opening' and 'closing' the door. The whole pin spins in the hinge unit, so... while applying a fair amount of upward force, walk the door as far as you can open, then walk the door as far as you can close... repeat and be patient, the door will work its way out.

Yard

#12 ·
I just had the same problem on my LJ. I started with WD40 and lifting by hand but that didn't work. Next I used to moving a floor jack but since my Jeep is on 33's the floor jack didn't lift high enough to raise the doors up. So I started back with the manual lifting method with PB Blaster. After two weeks of working the doors back and forth with PB Blaster it would still not come out. So I then got my neighbor to help me, drove the Jeep in the yard to have a soft landing if the door fell and used my Hi-Lift jack. I had to work the Jack hard and be gentle because it can bend the hinge bolts or the bottom of the door. Have another person hold the door because once it starts to slid up it will go quickly. Once you have your doors off take some fine sand paper and clean up the hinges so they are smooth. Then I put axle bearing grease on the pin and in the hinge to help keep them working smooth. Now I am able to take them on and off with little problem.

#26 ·
Get some emery cloth to sand the paint and junk of the post part of the hinge. Then take a water resistand lube like lithium grease or I use bearing grease to coat the post and squeeze some inside the hole. Slide the doors back on and work them back and forth. You will notice that your doors will open and close more freely as well. I just regrease in the spring and fall and it worked great on my TJ. :thumbsup:

#28 ·
I had the same issues. I used a bottel jack and a piece of wood, ended up lifting the jeep to the point I was going to bend the door. I then took the door hinges off and heating them, STILL wouldent come off. I then ordered all new hinges. With the new ones on the doors come off and go back on like butter. I did finaly get the old ones apart but I ended up heating them and driving them apart with a mall. I have no idea how they would even open and close but they did. After looking at the pins they were bent really bad. I don't think I would have gotten them back in if I could have gotten them apart. When you do het them apart put juat a little bit of anti sieze on the pins that will help. I mean justa little that stuff is hard to get off the paint if it get on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.