Tricks for Installing Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tricks for Installing Shocks

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 11-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
bulldietz
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tricks for Installing Shocks

I'm putting front and rear shocks on my 2000 Wrangler and was just wondering if there are any special tools or any tricks to getting the job done?

bulldietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bar pin eliminators will save you some time and frustration, but if you opt out of those a vise and a big hammer is nice. You will have to grease up the bar pin and pound it in, I actually had to grind a bit off...I went to bar pin eliminators a couple weeks later. JKS makes some nice ones.
Unread 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

PB Blaster on your old shock bolts a couple of days before the install.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a good write up on installing a BB, which is shocks and spacers (above the springs). Ignore the part about the spacers.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/REBB.html
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
SpeedyMitch
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldietz
I'm putting front and rear shocks on my 2000 Wrangler and was just wondering if there are any special tools or any tricks to getting the job done?
I found that jacking up the *frame* (not the axle) of the Jeep >a few inches< allows you to install the new shock without having to hold it compressed while you get the bolts in place.

Replacing the rear shocks is very simple on the Wrangler.

Speedy
SpeedyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Mr. Joshua

a little anti-seize compound on the bolts will help you out next time you replace shocks...
SkyJacker Hydro's
Olympic Grill Guard
Tuffy Glovebox
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #5
Parrothead Jeepers union member #11
Mr. Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
CBird77

Its an easy job. Just spray PB Blaster on the rear upper bolts for a few days as well as the rest of the hardware.
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
beryl

a long extension helps for the rear. i used a 12" extension and it worked great. had no problems reaching the bolts and was done very quick.

Bar pin elminators will indeed save you from having to put the bar pin in the shock which is nice...but i got some bar pin eliminators for my stock shocks and getting out the bar pin to install the BPE's was a huge pain.

the front is easy too. you may need a box end/open end wrench for the top nut on the front passenger shock as there is no hole to reach the top nut like on the driver side.
06x-6speed...hard/soft top, BPE's, 2" coils, 1" PA BL, 32 bfg mt's, 15x8 MT alloys, big daddy rocker guards, flowmaster, RE gen II discos, rear bumper and tire carrier, 10" MTX sub with 800watt kenwood amp, mossy oak mats, sony stereo
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Use anti-seize and bar pin eliminators. If you don't mind pounding in the bar pins then thats fine for the front. However on the rear the shock will slip sideways on the bar pin and clank around. To not have to do it twice buy the bar pin eliminators for the rear. JKS makes some nice ones.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the bpe from jks, i'm running them all around an i like them. As for the shocks, a jack can be usefull to compress the shocks for the installation.
However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
beryl

i never heard a clank before i had bar pins...i guess some do though.

i got some dish soap and the bar pins weren't too bad...just had to cram them in with my hand. a vise helps though.
06x-6speed...hard/soft top, BPE's, 2" coils, 1" PA BL, 32 bfg mt's, 15x8 MT alloys, big daddy rocker guards, flowmaster, RE gen II discos, rear bumper and tire carrier, 10" MTX sub with 800watt kenwood amp, mossy oak mats, sony stereo
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryl
i never heard a clank before i had bar pins...i guess some do though.

i got some dish soap and the bar pins weren't too bad...just had to cram them in with my hand. a vise helps though.
Depends on how you use the Jeep. Over time the sideways force of off roading will move the shock bushing off the center of the bar pin. That leaves play and you get the clanking.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
beryl

street, with mostly hill climbs and some rocks and i used to do some mud and water...

rockcrawler.com said they also had this problem with the rear shocks though...
Unread 11-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
CrzyWhtBy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bar pin eliminators are the way to go...I don't have them and and have had to replace the bushings on the shock twice now. I actually have one clanging around right now. They come out when you do any kind of wheeling...probably fine if you are just driving to the mall though.
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85
Depends on how you use the Jeep. Over time the sideways force of off roading will move the shock bushing off the center of the bar pin. That leaves play and you get the clanking.
Never had any of that on my TJ in 174,000 miles & plenty of very tough trails.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.