Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

transmission vibrating after removing skid plate.. please help!

Tags
skid plate
3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  freeskier93 
#1 ·
Alright today my ses light came on when driving so I stopped at AutoZone to have it scanned and it said that I had a bad sensor in the transmission. I talked to one of my Jeep buddys and they said to check all the connections and make sure they hadn't gotten mucked up. So I went to my house and me and one of my non Jeep buddys went to check it out. We couldn't get to the connections so we took the skid plate off. I'm new to the Jeep world and did not realize this was a big deal. It was off for less then a hour and then we jacked it up and screwed it all back on. Thought that all was good and then when I was driving the shifter started shaking profusely. What can I do to fix this? I'm completely lost I just bought my Jeep two days ago and it is my first 4x4. I have a 97 4.0 5spd. Any help would be very much appreciated! Please tell me I didn't screw anything up!

#2 ·
kind of a dumb question but you did support your tranny and transfer case with a jack when you took the skid off correct? if you let it sag far enough down you can mess up your motor mounts which would cause vibes especially when starting to roll forward or when motor is whaling, also check your transmission bushings and torque arm next to the bushing, hope this helps

also welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of jeeps :)

#5 ·
Alright I changed the transmission mount (my old one was toast) and that minimized it, but at higher speeds it still shakes a little and makes like a slapping noise. I double checked and as far as I could tell the skid plate was lined up correctly. Anything else it could be? Again I apoligize for my cluelessness this is my first ever 4x4 and any help is very much appreciated.

#6 ·
It is best to support your transmission when the skidplate is off but having had it unsupported for that short period of time did not harm anything. Driving it like that can certainly harm the motor mounts or perhaps the rear hanger that is welded to the exhaust pipe but not while just sitting still.

#8 ·
well, i'll post a reply since I didn't see any one say this...even being and old posting.

Torque - not exactly sure what your year is, but at minimum hand tight so it doesn't move (no guarantee it will not during driving due to the added stress). But my '03 is 55 ft-lbs on each bolt holding the plate in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.