Transmission Trouble Need HELP!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Trouble Need HELP!!!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it fixed. A rear main seal is not fun to replace but hopefully that will be the last time you have to do that.

HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well the problem has seem to come back but more violent. When releasing the clutch the Jeep seems to shake like crazy in low gears, and there is a minor slip that has come back but not as bad as before. I don't think it has anything to do with that seal or at least I hope not, seems to cruise fine just shakes when under torque, I have noticed that my telescopic drive shaft is pretty much bottomed out, I believe I have busted the U- Joints or at least I hope so.
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #18
Rubiman805
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like its time for the AW4 swap
Rubiman805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #19
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Broken U-joints are easy to diagnose. Get the load off the drive shaft (no tension). Be certain to solidly chock the wheels on the other axle !! Grasp the shaft near the U-joint and attempt to shake the shaft up & down and side to side. There should be no lateral movement. The shaft should be able to rotate (assuming the wheels for that axle are off the ground, transmission out of gear and the parking brake is off) but there should be no lateral movement. A bad U-joint generally makes a popping or clunking sound when driving.
It seems odd that the problem only appears when you release the clutch. A bad U-joint would manifest itself whenever there was power being applied to the drive shaft.
While you're under the Jeep, inspect the transmission and motor mounts. A bad mount could be causing the drivetrain to bind under load.
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #20
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the help. I am a cadet at The Citadel Military College of South Carolina and we are only granted leave on the weekends. I noticed today that it wasn't doing it as bad as when I drove it yesterday (before yesterday it hadn't been driven in about 2 weeks) but I also let the clutch out a lot slower today. It seems to be really bad when the Jeep has been sitting longer than a week, then after driving a day the shake seems to be minor/almost unnoticeable. I just got some AW4 just in-case that's it and will swap it out in a week and we'll see what happens. I don't have a jack here to check the U-Joints but I have an extra in-case one tries to blowout on me. Is there anything to look for on the engine and tranny mounts showing that they need to be replaced?
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #21
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A broken motor mount will allow the entire engine to twist beyond the normal range of travel when it is placed under load (like when starting from a stop) Depending on the direction of the crankshaft rotation, the engine will twist one way in a forward gear and the opposite way in reverse. The motor mounts limit that movement unless they are broken. If the mount is broken or loose it can allow the engine/transmission to twist under load and bind the drive shaft. Look for loose bolts or cracks around the frame near the mounts. If you open the hood and have someone let the clutch out until it just starts to grab with the Jeep in gear and the parking brake applied - you'll see that twisting motion. I don't have to tell you to watch from the side and not in front of the vehicle. Some rocking is normal, the mounts have rubber cores to allow a little bit of flex. A large amount of movement indicates that something is broken. The transmission mount is basically just a rubber block with a couple of threaded studs. The purpose of the transmission mount is to hold the back of the transmission up and it's not as critical as the motor mounts but all three work in conjunction to support the engine/transmission.
A broken mount wouldn't change with use, it's either broken or not. If the problem gets better with use then I wouldn't suspect a broken mount.
I suggested the motor mounts because of the violent shaking but your statement about it getting better with use tends to point back to the clutch.

Good Luck
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure your problem is a broken mount but here's a video that shows what happens when a mount is broken. Just FYI

Unread 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I have narrowed it down to something in the transmission. I believe it is the clutch throwout bearing not sliding correctly down the shaft, which is causing the shake of the Jeep when releasing the Clutch.

Tags
ax-15 manual , clutch , clutch noise , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.