JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Transmission Trouble Need HELP!!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/transmission-trouble-need-help-1892617/)

Smitty98TJ 12-15-2013 03:22 PM

Transmission Trouble Need HELP!!!

So the past couple of days I have been having some problems, while letting off the clutch and giving it gas its like the Jeep doesn't want to move forward, it will start hopping really bad and a popping noise will start, i'll take it out of gear and it will do the same thing when I try and shift again, it will take me sometimes four times of shifting in and out for it to act normal again. Could this be my clutch burning out? I have looked and looked and cant find these symptoms, I just hit 47,000 miles, all fluids are good first thing I checked. I do believe the clutch has been on there since 1998 so does any one know what it could be??? Please Help

durango-bob 12-15-2013 04:19 PM

How are the drive shaft u joints?

Smitty98TJ 12-15-2013 04:32 PM

Well I have just put a whole new rear output, shaft, yoke, and driveshaft with new joints about 1.5 years ago with the sye and double cardan shaft. I doubt it'd be that. Is there any way my clutch master slave cylinder could cause this?

durango-bob 12-15-2013 08:35 PM

It could be a clutch issue, but it really sounds more like a transmission issue or something downstream.

Smitty98TJ 12-16-2013 08:39 AM

Thank you. Anyone else know what it could be?

oakmckinley 12-16-2013 11:05 AM

If you can engage a gear while its running its not the master cylinder. Sounds like the clutch is getting hung up when its attempting to mesh up with the flywheel.
Any previous symptoms?

Smitty98TJ 12-16-2013 11:40 AM

Not that I know of. After she gets warmed up pretty good I dont seem to have the problem

tomsrancho 12-16-2013 07:02 PM

Put it up on floor stands, see if it does the same thing. It's ok when the engine warms up? Doubt that would be a clutch malfunction, especially with your low mileage, unless it's been rode really hard.

HCallahan 12-16-2013 07:09 PM

Could be oil on the clutch. Any smoke / smell / drips ?

Smitty98TJ 12-16-2013 08:26 PM

The weather just has started getting down to the 30's and low 40's round here so I wonder if it could be that?

HCallahan 12-16-2013 10:39 PM

Let's try this again before we start blaming the weather, "Could be oil on the clutch. Any smoke / smell / drips ? "

Smitty98TJ 12-17-2013 09:03 AM

Its a damn 98, it drips and smells 24/7/365 lol. On a serious note, after I go wheeling there is a pretty strong smell coming from the tranny but I though that was expected? If it is oil on the clutch could that cause any major problems? I have to make a 3 hour drive back home tomorrow. Thanks for the replies by the way

HCallahan 12-17-2013 05:34 PM

A little oil on a clutch, like oil on brakes, can make them grab. Seems counter intuitive but that's what happens. It will slip a little and then grab. A bad rear main seal will sometimes get oil in the bell housing, most will run down behind the flywheel but some inevitably gets thrown around in there. That can cause the grabbing (hopping) issue you described in your original post and after multiple attempts you'll burn that off and it will shift normal again. That would likely be accompanied by the odor of burning oil/clutch friction material (smells like burning brakes) and maybe some oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing. Other issues could be at play and some of the posters have pointing those out but I'd start at the clutch first, It's the most likely point of failure.

Smitty98TJ 12-17-2013 06:31 PM

Alrighty I really appreciate it, looks like i'll have some work to do for the Jeep can't wait to hop on it! Yall have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!!! Thanks again

Smitty98TJ 01-29-2014 07:19 PM

Well I threw in a new seal, been about 3 and a half weeks and the issue has not come back at all. Seems like that was the problem I really appreciate it gents

The time now is 08:02 PM.