transmission skid plate spacer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission skid plate spacer

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
tomnberta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

transmission skid plate spacer

being a first time "new" jeep owner or more like jeep "Mechanic" I bought the jeep with a 5 inch lift kit with 35" tires on. I took the springs, control arms & shocks out, replaced with OEM springs, shocks, and 32" tires I still have the 2 inch body lift spacers on.
my question is there is a 1 1/2 thick spacer bar between the frame and skid plate, I would like to take it out also, will it cause problems with things if I do?. Or a better question is, they are out right now with jack under transmission because I had to replace motor mounts, but I cant seem to get the skid plate to bolt up like the spacer needs to be in there. is it because of the body spacers? or could there be another transmission drop kit or mount Im missing? it did not have dropped motor mounts when I adopted it, but OEM.
I dont know exactly what the PO did for the lift. to me everything looks normal from pics I see in jeep forums or other places.

Im thinking its becuase of the 2 inch body spacers

any Idears would be helpful.

tomnberta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
tomnberta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

a pic
20150518_183300-1-.jpg

Unread 05-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
KCBrewer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Without the suspension lift you do not need or want those spacers. Sounds like something is getting caught up. Check the transfer case shifter linkage (you'll likely need to adjust it now anyway) and the fan to make sure it's not hitting the shroud. With a 2" BL the fan will hit the shroud without a motor mount lift and/or lowering the shroud.

Last edited by KCBrewer; 05-18-2015 at 08:42 PM..
KCBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
tomnberta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yep, on the linkage and the shroud is toast anyway from PO, just have not replaced it yet. (been working on it more than driving it) not sure if I can take the body spacers out and still have the 32" tires?
Unread 05-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
jeepstangdude

Agreed on the transfercase linkage. With a 2" body lift and a 1.5" drop skid plate on the TJ, there's likely some kind of aftermarket bracket gizmo that is preventing the skid from being raised up 1.5" to it's oem position. A stock no mod TJ has a t-case linkage bracket that bolts to the drivers side "hump" on the floor and the other side of the linkage pivots on a bracket the it attached to the tcase. No body kift and no tcase drop (ie stock) the linkage is parallel with the ground and works great. As the body goes up with a body lift and the tcase drops with a tcase drop spacer, the stock linkage is no longer parallel and wont work. The previous buyer had to compensate for this 3.5" difference with some sort of bracketry.

I ran into this problem many moons ago and bought a bracket that bolts only to the tcase/tranny and is not affected by differences in body lift and/or skid plate position.
jeepstangdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
jeepstangdude

IMO, I'd keep the body lift. Depending on the TJ's past life (i.e. road salt, etc.) removing the body mounts could be a pain and might break a bolt / ruin body mount threads which would not be fun.
jeepstangdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
KCBrewer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

32's with no lift are going to rub. If the fan is not hitting the shroud, the BL is not the problem. With a BL you have more room to raise the transmission than stock, so something else is keeping it from going up.
Unread 05-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
tomnberta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info guys, I forgot to mention there are spring spacers also, I would assume to make up for body lift?, but as far as I know everything else is stock parts put back on, I put it all back together with the skid plate spacers tonight, I will keep looking, its at the perfect height now without the other lift parts and I'm not pulling my cockadoodle getting in like I was, not really sure what I got myself into....live and learn the hard way...story of my life!!
Unread 05-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
tomnberta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys,
I forgot to mention there is spring spacers also, I would assume to make up for body lift? I put it all back together tonight, I will keep looking for issues and maybe have a jeep gooroo friend look at it also and see whats going on, as far as I know everything else is replaced with stock parts. its at the perfect height now and I'm not pulling my cockdoodle getting in like I was. guess you have to learn the hard way now and then, just starting to wonder what I may have gotten into, but that's the story of my life!!
Unread 05-21-2015, 04:59 AM   #10
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Loosen the trans mount bolts to the skid and trans, but dont remove them totally.
Remove the spacers. Disconnect the transfercase shifter linkage.
Put it all back up to stock with all the bolts loose.
If you have to, pull it an inch or so with a ratcheting tie down.
It will go back up. They can be stubborn sometimes.

U will need work on the shifter linkage some.
It has been changed from stock.
Leave the body lift. Its a can of worms u don't wanna open.
U need a little lift to fit 32s anyway.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
tomnberta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yep...thanks all....had to use the rachet strap to pull it over a little, now good as "new"? next is alignment then off to the next issue!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.