Transmission replacement options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission replacement options

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-24-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
phoen1c1an

Transmission replacement options

My transmission is slipping, probably due to previous owner neglect. I've changed the filter and the fluid, but it still does it sometimes when it's cold and only when I first start it. What options do I have with a 97 TJ that currently has a 3speed auto has far as replacement? I'm looking basically for model numbers. THANKS!

phoen1c1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
04 Unlimited

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I had a car with an auto trans that started slipping a few years back. Changed the fluid and filter... still slipped. Changed the fluid and filter again and the slipping stopped. Drove the car another 75,000 miles and it never slipped again. Obviously no guarantees, but you might try changing it again. At least it's easier than swapping out a trans.

Hope this helps,

Rich
04 Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
Upstate Chili

I had 2 Jeeps that did the same thing, a 99 TJ with 30,000 and a 95 Grand w/ 100,000, start in up put it in gear step on the gas and it moves very slow at first right?. Talked to a tranny shop and was informed it is a common problem due to under sized seals in the auto tranny. They advised me not to worry about if it was only happening first thing in the morning. Put 50,000 more miles on the GC and 10,000 more on the TJ before i sold them , the problem never got any worse.
Upstate Chili is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.