Transmission replacement options - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-24-2004, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
phoen1c1an

Transmission replacement options

My transmission is slipping, probably due to previous owner neglect. I've changed the filter and the fluid, but it still does it sometimes when it's cold and only when I first start it. What options do I have with a 97 TJ that currently has a 3speed auto has far as replacement? I'm looking basically for model numbers. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-24-2004, 04:36 AM
04 Unlimited

2015 JK Wrangler 

I had a car with an auto trans that started slipping a few years back. Changed the fluid and filter... still slipped. Changed the fluid and filter again and the slipping stopped. Drove the car another 75,000 miles and it never slipped again. Obviously no guarantees, but you might try changing it again. At least it's easier than swapping out a trans.

Hope this helps,

Rich
post #3 of 3 Old 11-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Upstate Chili

I had 2 Jeeps that did the same thing, a 99 TJ with 30,000 and a 95 Grand w/ 100,000, start in up put it in gear step on the gas and it moves very slow at first right?. Talked to a tranny shop and was informed it is a common problem due to under sized seals in the auto tranny. They advised me not to worry about if it was only happening first thing in the morning. Put 50,000 more miles on the GC and 10,000 more on the TJ before i sold them , the problem never got any worse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.