Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission Problems (NSG370)

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jayhawk80 
#1 ·
I'm not too sure what the problem could be at this point, I have done a fair bit of research but nothing is conclusive enough for me to draw on. My problem is that after driving around and letting the transmission heat up it begins to get harder to shift, as in some force is needed to put it in gear. The low end gears are fine, it will start in 5th and 6th most noticeably, but it will spread to 4th and sometimes 3rd after a while. I just changed my fluid today with Valvoline Synchromesh fluids in hopes that it helps, though i doubt it will. My next concern would be the clutch system, I have a spare master and slave cylinder so I might toss that on to eliminate that factor. My next step would be to drop the transmission and check the bearings/clutch pack. I changed my clutch about 2 months ago with the Luk clutch kit, it was done by myself and my friend who is a mechanic and does clutch jobs all the time. One more thing I noticed is that if I drive to higher RPM's then put it in first while still holding down the clutch, I can definitely hear it whirring up to speed, could this be clutch drag?

#4 ·
OP, did the problem predate the clutch replacement? My 6-speed acts a little funky, in the way you describe, just nowhere nearly as bad. Just to the point where it is sometimes slightly annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
OP, did the problem predate the clutch replacement? My 6-speed acts a little funky, in the way you describe, just nowhere nearly as bad. Just to the point where it is sometimes slightly annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine does the same thing after driving on the highway for a while. It gets like sticky/mushy in 5th and 6th but is fine in the rest of the gears.

#6 ·
Well since it seems that some people have the same problems I guess I'm not too worried. I did just make a 2 hour drive to the beach and back and the transmission did fine. My spider gears....not so much. I'm currently replacing those as I'm typing right now. I think I exaggerated a little bit in my earlier post, it just gets annoying more than anything while driving.

#7 ·
My fifth and sixth gear get sticky and eventually pretty difficult to get into and out of also. Pretty much only after it's good and warm. This past week it's started kicking out of fourth on me from time to time as well. Shifts into all gears just fine as soon as I turn the engine off though. If you find a fix to yours please share

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.