Transmission Problems? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Problems?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Winkler121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thats true, i should have most of the tools for it, and i know that i dont want a backflush done. It should be easy enough to do in a parking lot?

Winkler121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
Winkler121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

do i need to jack it up at all?
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
jkz

Hey guys, I'm not trying highjack the post. I got a same problem on my manual 1999 sahara. Should I try the same thing? Or there is difference between auto and manual trans.

Thanks
jkz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

No, you will not need a jack. You will need a ” box end wrench like this one in the pic to remove the pan bolts that are in back covered by the skid plate. A torx bit, I think it’s a T25 maybe T30 to remove the filter. In addition, something to disconnect the cooler line at the transmission. Crescent wrench should work, that's all. Remember driver’s side. Crawl under there and look. Should be a metal hard line that goes into a rubber hose that then connects to the radiator. Disconnect the metal line from the rubber hose. Even if you have to cut the rubber hose to get it off, you can simply put on a new hose and use hose clamps to secure it. It will help if you first pump out the 3 quarts that are in the pan, so when you go to remove it fluid won’t go spilling out everywhere. Replace the filter by removing the three torx bolts holding the filter in place. Then reinstall the pan, add 3 quarts to the dipstick tube, then proceed in pumping out the rest of the ATF from the torque converter.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkz View Post
Hey guys, I'm not trying highjack the post. I got a same problem on my manual 1999 sahara. Should I try the same thing? Or there is difference between auto and manual trans.

Thanks
If you have a manual, then you do not have ATF or a filter to change.
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
jkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post

If you have a manual, then you do not have ATF or a filter to change.

Oky goood, just make it a lot easier
jkz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #22
Winkler121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks JBJT ill try that out, the new ATF that im pumping out, should i put it back into the transmission after i put the hose back on? or should i be putting brand new ATF in there?
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #23
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkler121 View Post
Ok thanks JBJT ill try that out, the new ATF that im pumping out, should i put it back into the transmission after i put the hose back on? or should i be putting brand new ATF in there?
The new ATF won't be coming out, only the old. If you put in more than 12 quarts to be sure you get all the old stuff out that's okay. So the answer to your question in no, do not put any that comes out back in.
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
Winkler121
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok when i have the hose disconnected and im letting the old fluid out, how long should i run it so that i dont mess up the transmission?
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkler121 View Post
Ok when i have the hose disconnected and im letting the old fluid out, how long should i run it so that i dont mess up the transmission?
Till it fills up your milk container to the 3 quart mark. You only want to do 3 quarts at a time, because that's all the pan holds.
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tried to send you a PM but your box is full. You can call me if you want to.
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You do not want to run the pump if no ATF is coming out. That will burn it up.
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sent you my number. Anytime is good.

Your box is still full.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my external filter I was telling you about. It holds about a quart, so at every oil change I replace this filter and add a fresh quart to the mix. It also aids in replacing the ATF in the torque converter, as you only need to remove the input line to pump the ATF into your empty milk container. No mess, very little spill and no more crawling around under the JEEP. Remember cool fresh ATF is the key to a long lived transmission.

Tags
clunking , transmission , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.