Transmission Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Problem?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 12-01-2003, 07:20 AM   #1
Laila
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 5,424
Transmission Problem?

The problem started in fifth gear about 2 hours into a 4 hour trip. At between the speeds of 60 - 65 mph the jeep would all of a sudden jerk back and lose power all of a sudden. I pulled it out of gear into neutral and then put it back in fifth and it would go. But then it would do it again a few minutes later. Then after pulling off the road it did it in every other gear also.

This happened once before about a month ago. But it was not at all this extreme. But when I took it into carmax ( where I bought it) they said that they tested it and there was nothing wrong with it. That it was probably the oversize tires causing a loss of power. I have 31 mud terrains on a stock Jeep. I knew that wasn't what was wrong with it but I didn't feel like arguing.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Also by the right front tire it looks like there is a light greenish/yellowish puddle after the jeep has been sitting there for long periods of time. This just started this weekend. I noticed it in my garage yesterday.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks

Laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
bcompton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 378
Doesn't sound like trans problem.

Sounds like that greenish/yellow fluid is dripping on your brake rotor and causing a jerk when it does.

Find the source of the leak - radiator, brake fluid, whatever, and you may fix the problem.
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
nxsTJ28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 105
Tuffy, nice to meet a fellow Houstonian...

It sounds like you either have a leak in your exhaust or O2 sensors problems. First look for the hairline crack in the exhaust near the part all tubes come together.

Do you have the notorious ticking sound? What part of Houston are you in? I could come and take a look if you're not too far. I'm in Pearland.
__________________
[COLOR=darkred][FONT=palatino linotype][SIZE=2]FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMBER #8[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=2][B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP [/COLOR]OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #2[/SIZE][/B]
nxsTJ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
Laila
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsTJ28
Tuffy, nice to meet a fellow Houstonian...

It sounds like you either have a leak in your exhaust or O2 sensors problems. First look for the hairline crack in the exhaust near the part all tubes come together.

Do you have the notorious ticking sound? What part of Houston are you in? I could come and take a look if you're not too far. I'm in Pearland.

I live by reliant park. And I don't know enough about my Jeep to do that. I wish I could. I could meet you somewhere. I don't know how far pearland is from the dome area. Is it far? There are some other Houston jeepers planning a possible trip to spring creek this sunday. You should go if you can.

I do need a true Jeeper to look at my car because I just don't think anyone else can figure this problem out. I took it to carmax again and they had it for the last two days and they said there was nothing wrong with it. They said they couldn't find the source of the leak. That makes me so mad. I am taking it to a Jeep dealership tomorrow but I don't know if they will be able to find the problem either. They said since it didn't do it to them when they drove it that they can't find anything wrong. I told them they didn't drive it long enough. It eventually does it. After it heats up? I don't know. They sent it to the transmission shop off the lot and they found nothing so I doubt it's the transmission. It's something though.
__________________
99 TJ 4Banger
RE 3.5 SuperFlex
33in BFG Mud Terrains
Hell-Bent Fabrication
DAJC member # 3
Laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:46 PM   #5
Laila
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 5,424
Maybe I got bad gas. And the leak has nothing to do with the problem.
__________________
99 TJ 4Banger
RE 3.5 SuperFlex
33in BFG Mud Terrains
Hell-Bent Fabrication
DAJC member # 3
Laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 06:49 PM   #6
98Sahara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 255
well i had a very similar problem...

while driving to san antonio i was doing about 75 climbing a pretty steep hill. well at 3 in the morning i didnt even think to downshift and the jeep started jolting sort of in a way, and had a huge lack in power... i dropped it to fourth and the power just keept going down.... there was some traffic comming up the hill so i pulled over. turned the car off, and turned it back on again.

it didnt happen again untill comming back from san antonio. then i thought maybe it might be something having to do with the motor.

i checked all the spark plugs to make sure they were attached and then i put some fuel injecter cleaner (because i thought maybe there was something bad in my gas because i did earlier that week leave the gas station without putting my cap on. i didnt realize untill i was at school the next morning.)

sure enough it stopped happening... so its just like a wise man told me before (its eather Gas, or Spark) that easy cheesy saying has really helped me alot over the years of growing up with motors....

this might help might not, but why not give it a try?
98Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 06:51 PM   #7
98Sahara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Sahara
well i had a very similar problem...

while driving to san antonio i was doing about 75 climbing a pretty steep hill. well at 3 in the morning i didnt even think to downshift and the jeep started jolting sort of in a way, and had a huge lack in power... i dropped it to fourth and the power just keept going down.... there was some traffic comming up the hill so i pulled over. turned the car off, and turned it back on again.

it didnt happen again untill comming back from san antonio. then i thought maybe it might be something having to do with the motor.

i checked all the spark plugs to make sure they were attached and then i put some fuel injecter cleaner (because i thought maybe there was something bad in my gas because i did earlier that week leave the gas station without putting my cap on. i didnt realize untill i was at school the next morning.)

sure enough it stopped happening... so its just like a wise man told me before (its eather Gas, or Spark) that easy cheesy saying has really helped me alot over the years of growing up with motors....

this might help might not, but why not give it a try?

clift notes... check the spark plugs coil etc... and try some fuel injector cleaner.
98Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2003, 06:57 PM   #8
nxsTJ28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy
There are some other Houston jeepers planning a possible trip to spring creek this sunday. You should go if you can.
I was thinking of going up there this weekend if I can talk a friend in to going. If I do make, I'll take a look at it for ya. PM me with some details on when you'll be going up there and we'll see what happens.
__________________
[COLOR=darkred][FONT=palatino linotype][SIZE=2]FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMBER #8[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=2][B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP [/COLOR]OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #2[/SIZE][/B]
nxsTJ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.
 
SlinkyTJ's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Posts: 6,075
Have you been running your air conditioner? The leak is prolly not really a leak... It's just water coming off the condenser. Also, has this been happening on cold days when you have less than half a tank of gas or so? With all the humidity down here water will condense in your tank if there's a lot of air (and not much gas) in it when it get's cold. This will make your jeep run like crap. You can go to the auto parts store and tell them you think you might have some water in your gas and they will recommend an additive to help. Pour it in and fill the tank an you should be good to go. I'd try that first and if it doesn't work i can suggest some more things.
__________________
'97 SE
Lockers and stuff
SlinkyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
Laila
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
Have you been running your air conditioner? The leak is prolly not really a leak... It's just water coming off the condenser. Also, has this been happening on cold days when you have less than half a tank of gas or so? With all the humidity down here water will condense in your tank if there's a lot of air (and not much gas) in it when it get's cold. This will make your jeep run like crap. You can go to the auto parts store and tell them you think you might have some water in your gas and they will recommend an additive to help. Pour it in and fill the tank an you should be good to go. I'd try that first and if it doesn't work i can suggest some more things.

Hopefully the fuel injector cleaner stuff from STP I got will help. It has been happening on cold days with half a tank or less.
We'll see. Think positive Jeep thoughts for me.
__________________
99 TJ 4Banger
RE 3.5 SuperFlex
33in BFG Mud Terrains
Hell-Bent Fabrication
DAJC member # 3
Laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 07:53 AM   #11
DouginTN
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: S. Easterns Utah
Posts: 212
Just a note about greenish/yellow fluid. If it is oil based, it could also be PAG oil and dye that is used in the A/C system in some vehicle applications. Your A/C would not work since it would be leaking through an open in one of the lines. The condensation drip from the outside of an A/C system is clear; it is only H2O.
DouginTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 10:18 AM   #12
halfmoonclip
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Westsylvania
Posts: 1,839
Fuel filter?
Head gasket? You may be loosing compression, depending on temp. Any white smoke following you?
The last refuge of a bad mechanic is 'bad gas.'
The condensation thing might be something.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.